technique/exercise books.

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
crazyrach97

technique/exercise books.

Post by crazyrach97 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:26 am

I'm putting together my august book order. I'm getting a modern edition of Carcassi's method, all three Solo Now books, and some Brouwer studies. I'm also considering one of the dedicated technique/exercise books. Two that I have been looking at are Kitharologus: The Path to Virtuosity, and the Bible of Classical Guitar technique. Any thoughts on those two, or recommendations for others?

Chris Delisa

Re: technique/exercise books.

Post by Chris Delisa » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:46 am

I'd recommend Kitharlogus. It's a great wealth of technical studies that can be continuously worked on over the course of your whole practicing career.

Some other favorites:

Shearer - Slur, Ornament and Reach Exercises
Sagreras - Lessons books 1-6
Vardanyan - Complete Warm-Up for Classical Guitar

The latter one influenced my focus in the exercises I use and how I approach them.

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:52 am

I highly recommend the Stanley Yates series Classical Guitar Technique: From Foundation to Virtuosity, Volumes 1 & 2. I prefer this to the Bible of Classical Guitar.

I also recommend Yates' other books, specifically the Graded Repertoire for Guitar Volumes, and The Contemporary Guitar, an Anthology of New Music.

He has quite a few other books, with varying degrees of difficulty, which are unique in different ways; some in the selections of composers, such as Vivaldi and Matiegka, and some which have uncommon transcriptions of Bach for example.

More specific to your inquiry is Etudes Mechaniques, although I'm not familiar with this book.

Definitely worth a look!
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

crazyrach97

Post by crazyrach97 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:42 pm

Ok, so I decided to skip the technique book for Aug. It'll still happen later so any further recommendations will be welcome.

Impresario

Post by Impresario » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:12 am

Philip Hii :

- The art of virtuosity
- The art of virtuosity for guitar
- Practicing the tremolo

Briant

Post by Briant » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:15 am

Take a look at member announcements section. E books by Daniel Nistico are definitely worth exploring.

Hunt-man

Post by Hunt-man » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:12 pm

Scott Tennants Pumping Nylon is excellent. I'd recommend that one. Short and to the point.

D.Cass

Post by D.Cass » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:29 am

If you do not already have pumping nylon, you should have pumping nylon. It is no nonsense type of book. As well as, offers solutions to technical problems.

Hunt-man

Post by Hunt-man » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:19 pm

D.Cass wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:29 am
If you do not already have pumping nylon, you should have pumping nylon. It is no nonsense type of book. As well as, offers solutions to technical problems.
I agree. :D

Vonseggern

Post by Vonseggern » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:25 am

I've made noticeable improvements with Evangelos Boudounis' Vertical Exercises book. It's sort of spider-type exercises that are meticulous in their graduated difficulty. I'm looking forward to exploring Mr. Boudounis' other books in due time.
2016 Kenny Hill New World Player
...My dream guitar is on order.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”