playing scales everyday?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Rognvald

Re: playing scales everyday?

Post by Rognvald » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:43 pm

Yes. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:49 am

I begin each practice by playing several major scales in various positions. I also include chromatic runs for 10 -15 minutes.. However after reading some comments I am a little perplexed. Is the best use of my time? Since I have been doing this I believe that that my playing has improved but if there is something else I should be doing, I would like to know.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Spruce
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:21 am

Dear Eddie, unless a new method is found to supersede scales for the acquisition of technique in cg, scales will remain a key part of cg technique. But scales is not the end of the story, one needs to develop, practice and improve other aspects of technique daily. LH finger independence exercises, for example, give LH not just independence but strength, stamina and agility as well. Arpeggios should also be practiced daily for a few minutes, time allowing of course. Legatti and rasqueados as well.Each exercise gives something unique and the sum of them greatly improves your technique. But you have to be consistent.

Rasqeo

Post by Rasqeo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:35 am

kmurdick wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:31 pm

Playing bursts are good if you are ready for them. If you can't alternate continuously at 140mm (four notes to the click) on one string, bursts may not be the answer. It is possible to play very fast for eight or ten notes even with bad technique. You don't want to bake in bad habits. Again, seek a competent teacher.
Do you mean four notes per beat at 140bpm? If so, I’m not sure I follow your logic. Why would speed bursts not be helpful? In fact why would anyone need to play faster than this at all (other than perhaps flamenco players?)

Rasqeo

Post by Rasqeo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:53 am

fast eddie wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:49 am
I begin each practice by playing several major scales in various positions. I also include chromatic runs for 10 -15 minutes.. However after reading some comments I am a little perplexed. Is the best use of my time? Since I have been doing this I believe that that my playing has improved but if there is something else I should be doing, I would like to know.
Depends on your school of thought. Some people don’t recommend doing any technical exercises at all and to just play repertoire. I can’t say I agree with that view. It would be like telling a tennis player not to do any drills and just play matches. Okay you might get to the same position eventually but you’ll get there much faster by doing the drills.

I think all exercises lose some of their effectiveness to a degree over time though, once you’ve become proficient at them. Practicing them more will then result in smaller incremental gains, which might not be an effective use of your time. For example, why practise fact scales if none of your pieces require them?

I like to change my technique practice regularly to make sure I’m always doing exercises where it’s clear I’m making some improvements. Of course, I may go back to some old ones now and then to maintain a particular technique. Some of the most effective exercises I’ve found for the right hand are just playing open strings in different combinations and rhythms. You can really focus on the ease of playing, accuracy of the rhythm and contact point, quality of tone etc. I basically learned tremolo this way and then 5-note tremolo. Now I’m trying 6-notes. It never stops. You can always find things to improve.

chayapodb

Post by chayapodb » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:57 pm

Definitely. I think playing scales is a great warmup, along with playing appregio. To me, I play it to improve my fundamentals - rhythm (play it with a metronome, 2-3-4 notes per beat) and legato.

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:30 pm

Thanks for these replies. Scales have produced a noticeable improvement for me.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Spruce
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:24 am

To me, just practicing up and down scales as a technical exercise has limited usefulness. I prefer to practice scale patterns that I can use in jazz improvisation and it trains my ears while having the side effect of improving technique. Getting acquainted with the 5 positions of major/minor diatonic scales is a good first step to knowing the notes on the fingerboard. Knowing those and then being able to stitch them together for 3-note per string and 4-note-per-string scales is useful. It will help with your a,m,i scales. I'm not a fan of the Segovia scales but they can't hurt. Once you know all that, you've basically practiced playing 2nds across the neck in a diatonic key, helping to know and hear where the major/minor seconds are. Then do 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 6ths, 7ths, octaves, 10ths. This helps you know where in the 4ths, for instance, the augmented 4th is and where in the 5ths the diminished 5th is--all very useful in jazz improv. Also being able to play the triads 1-3-5, 2-4-6, 3-5-7, etc. within the scale is useful. To me, this may not be simply playing up and down scales in 2nds like Segovia recommends, but it helps you really know the scales and corresponding intervals and chords that are built from the scales which is more useful for understand, playing, and composing music. So you're accomplishing multiple tasks instead of just doing finger gymnastics.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

khs

Post by khs » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:13 am

Regarding the speed, In my case I think I almost got over the matter of speed playing after 4 months of everyday excersing Gohar Vardanyan's "Complete Warm-Up for Classical Guitar". Then It occurred to me that speed playing is not invincible nor a special matter. It is just one of many technical fields one can endeaver to attain. The thin book contains material of rapid scale practicing. Surely it does not mean that I became masterly fluent in playing rapid movements after a few months exercising but at least there is no fear or heaviness of facing rapid pieces in my mind and I came to enjoy challenging the speed. If you haven't tried this yet, I think it will worth trying.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”