Practice time

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Rognvald

Re: Practice time

Post by Rognvald » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:26 pm

There is no right way to practice since we all come to the table with differing abilities. However, there is a wrong way to practice. Here are a few things to avoid:

1. Don't push your hands beyond your level of conditioning
2. Don't be completely harnessed to a time schedule. If you're making progress and your hands feel good--keep going. If your hands are tired, put
your guitar down and rest.
3. Don't study pieces beyond your ability. A good teacher helps here.
4. If nothing is happening when you practice, don't be a machine . . . do something else.
5. This is a long journey. What works today may not tomorrow. Be creative and focused. You're not a machine.
I hope this helps. Paying again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:27 pm

I agree with Rognvald.
(Kind of cute that this time he is “paying again”! Is your Freudian Slip showing, Rog? ;-) )
Rognvald wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:26 pm
There is no right way to practice since we all come to the table with differing abilities. However, there is a wrong way to practice. Here are a few things to avoid:

2. Don't be completely harnessed to a time schedule. If you're making progress and your hands feel good--keep going. If your hands are tired, put
4. If nothing is happening when you practice, don't be a machine . . . do something else.
5. This is a long journey. What works today may not tomorrow. Be creative and focused. You're not a machine.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

jscott

Post by jscott » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:18 pm

Agreed; that's good advice from Rognvald.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:22 pm

lagartija wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:27 pm
I agree with Rognvald.
(Kind of cute that this time he is “paying again”! Is your Freudian Slip showing, Rog? ;-) )
Rognvald wrote:

I can assure you, Lagartija . . . Freudian slips have caused me a great deal of difficulty in my life. Interesting . . . PLAYING AGAIN . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

jscott

Post by jscott » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:36 pm

I understand that Macy's is having a sale on Freudian slips...

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:29 pm

jscott wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:36 pm
I understand that Macy's is having a sale on Freudian slips...
Yes, they have a very complete lingerie department, and great prices. 😁
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

jscott

Post by jscott » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:07 am

Freud and lingerie go hand in hand...

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:09 pm

It's wonderful to see we have some members with a sense of humor! Playing, not paying again . . . Rognvald

RossMoran87

Post by RossMoran87 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:42 am

Rognvald wrote:

Best practice advice ever! :)

AKim

Post by AKim » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:38 pm

Rognvald wrote:

Definitely a great list. I’d add that you shouldn’t compare your practice routine to others and feel like you need to push harder to keep up. Also, sometimes if my brain is getting weary from study pieces, I take a short break to play through sometime easier and already mastered. I find it helps to untangle my fingers.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:47 am

To my experience it's absolutely true that longer breaks help to solve technical problems with a piece. If I get frustrated because not coming forward with a piece or if I make the same mistake at a certain part of it over and over again, I take it from the music stand to come back to it some days or even some weeks later. After the restart difficulties are often gone or less worse.
Fritz Ober, Torres/Hauser model, 2010, spruce/maple
Giovanni Tacchi, Bouchet model, spruce/BRAZ, 2018

Tony Hyman

Post by Tony Hyman » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:35 am

Yes, must give the brain time to absorb and adjust as we grow into a piece.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”