Jazz on Classical guitar

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Ali Hamdani

Jazz on Classical guitar

Post by Ali Hamdani » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:39 pm

Hey,

I have been practicing classical guitar for a couple of years now and I came to conclusions that I wanted to start branching out into other genres of music besides the typical classical rep. I wanted to get started in jazz but I still like to tone and techniques of classical guitar so I wanted to stick to my current instrument as opposed to getting a jazz guitar. (TBH to me jazz guitars sound like a electric guitar holding its nose :D ) I know there are some artist out there that play but I really like the style of Charlie Byrd. I think he does an amazing job combining the two styles and he also does a lot of latin american music.

So my questions is I am trying to come up with a routine to practice jazz guitar on the nylon string and I was wondering if there were any good resources out there. So jazz theory is pretty standard throughout all instruments but what I am having trouble with is how guitarist approach arpeggios, I have reading jazz guitar books on arpeggios and there fingerings are hard on the classical. So any tips on how to approach arpeggios and jazz in general.

Thanks,

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Re: Jazz on Classical guitar

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:00 pm

Jazz Guitar for Classical Cats (Andrew York) useful.
Ralph Towner produced a work-book, Improvisation and Performance Techniques for Classical and Acoustic Guitar.

simonm

Post by simonm » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:15 pm

There seems to be plenty of Charlie Byrd publications. I have never tried them but he is one of the greats.

Frank Nordberg

Post by Frank Nordberg » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:16 pm

This thread is not complete without mentioning Laurindo Almeida!

Les Paul is another great guitarist who sometimes crossed over between jazz and classical guitar.

And here's a video of some Scottish bloke named Rob MacKillop (I can't imagine anybody here has ever heard of him before :P) flatpicking VIlla-Lobos on an acoustic archtop.

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:23 pm

Leavitt's Modern Method for Guitar, especially Vol. 2, can be very useful for jazz on the classical guitar. As one who has played jazz on the nylon-string 6 and 7-string guitars, I can say that the main problem is simply swinging, and that takes a lot of listening, as well as a pretty good grasp of scales and arpeggios for improvising. Even some flamenco techniques can be very helpful. Listening to Byrd, Almeida, Bela Sete, Rafael Rabello,Baden Powell, Gene Bertoncini and Paci de Lucia will give you some ideas of how to approach playing jazz and Latin jazz on the classical guitar.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:55 pm

John Duarte published 4 books of jazz arrangements for CG: one each of tunes by Cole Porter, Jerome Kern, and George Gershwin, plus an anthology of various selections "Jazz and Popular Songs arranged for CG".

Howard Heitmeyer has made very many arrangements over the years; he's still performing from time to time in L.A. and is in his mid-90s!

All of these are very formal stylized arrangements, and not really "jazz" in the improvisational spontaneous sense, but make a nice change from the core CG literature.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
First person to complete the Delcamp "Let's Learn Sor's Opus 60" project

Ali Hamdani

Post by Ali Hamdani » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:41 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:00 pm
Jazz Guitar for Classical Cats (Andrew York) useful.
Ralph Towner produced a work-book, Improvisation and Performance Techniques for Classical and Acoustic Guitar.
I looked at the contents of those books and I really like it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Frank Nordberg

Post by Frank Nordberg » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:20 pm

David Norton wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:55 pm
John Duarte published 4 books of jazz arrangements for CG: one each of tunes by Cole Porter, Jerome Kern, and George Gershwin, plus an anthology of various selections "Jazz and Popular Songs arranged for CG".
Not to mention "Sua Cosa", his tribtue to Wes Montgomery.

Duarte was a skilled jazz guitarist himself. I think everybody who were lucky enough to attend his Caninngton Guitar Summer School before it was torn apart by personal conflicts know that. Even those who had too much liquid fun to get much out of the formal classes there should at least remember the jazz trio he led in the evenings.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:13 pm

Cheers, Frank. I think the Prelude works well on an archtop.

To the original poster, I suggest studying (i.e. not just playing) the arrangements of Barrie Galbraith, published by Mel Bay. Here's one:

Smith

Post by Smith » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:03 am

Nice one Rob, a pleasant diversion from this polar vortex thingy going on.

rfwagner

Post by rfwagner » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:14 am

If you search for Francois Leduc on YouTube, he’s got a lot of Earl Klugh transcriptions that might be worth studying.

Also, Martin Taylor has a relatively new book out called Beyond Chord Melody that lays out his approach to solo fingerstyle jazz guitar. It’s based on developing a general facility with intervals like 7ths and 10ths up and down the neck. As opposed to basing things on lots of specific full chord voicings.

Richard

JRomano

Post by JRomano » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:19 am

I'd second the suggestion on Earl Klugh. He was the first to come to mind when I saw this post.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:02 pm

" So any tips on how to approach arpeggios and jazz in general. " Ali

Hi, Ali.
You'll never learn to play Jazz reading a "How To" book. Most, in my opinion, even by the "luminaries" are laughable. Unless you want to become one of the music machines that are being reproduced in our universities(the exception being Berklee in Boston), you'll need to do the following:
1.) Listen, listen, listen to recordings of the "greats."
2.) Listen to live Jazz Music as much as possible
3.) Study and Master Music Theory in all its facets
4.) Master your instrument
5.) Start playing with ensembles as much as possible
6.) Steal music ideas from everyone to increase your musical depth
7.) Know every scale and chord and be able to play them on recall--forward and backward
8.) Learn the Jazz standards and then . . . after twenty years, or so, of dedication, you might be able to play Jazz. However, it is not a guarantee.
How do you like those odds? Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:08 pm

Ali Hamdani wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:39 pm
Hey,

I have been practicing classical guitar for a couple of years now and I came to conclusions that I wanted to start branching out into other genres of music besides the typical classical rep. I wanted to get started in jazz but I still like to tone and techniques of classical guitar so I wanted to stick to my current instrument as opposed to getting a jazz guitar. (TBH to me jazz guitars sound like a electric guitar holding its nose :D ) I know there are some artist out there that play but I really like the style of Charlie Byrd. I think he does an amazing job combining the two styles and he also does a lot of latin american music.

So my questions is I am trying to come up with a routine to practice jazz guitar on the nylon string and I was wondering if there were any good resources out there. So jazz theory is pretty standard throughout all instruments but what I am having trouble with is how guitarist approach arpeggios, I have reading jazz guitar books on arpeggios and there fingerings are hard on the classical. So any tips on how to approach arpeggios and jazz in general.

Thanks,
Get RealBooks 1-3 and start learning the chord progressions and melodies for songs. Then take those chord voicings and fill in the missing notes from the corresponding arpeggios (same position). Then play the corresponding scale that goes with the arpeggio and chord. Now you have a chord/arp/scale for each voicing that goes together. If you learn 2 non-bar chord voicings (one root on 6 and one root on 5) for each chord type, you'll be well on your way to playing any jazz tune. Maj7, min7, 7, dim 7, m7flat5, m6, 7flat9, etc.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

richtm

Post by richtm » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:36 am

Hi Ali, hi all,

the real books are a great source, maybe the latest Andrew York YT Videos give you a further push, I just discovered them.
It's a 4 - part tutorial how to improvise on the guitar - and it Comes much from Ralf Towners Impulses. I just put in part 1 of 4
:discussion:
so enjoy: Andrew York - Improvisation for Solo Guitar :bye:

Greetings from Hamburg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ernest Köröskenyi 1977 Cedar; Pauline Bernabe Especial 2007 Spruce, 2012 Cedar; Andreas Kirmse 2017 Cedar DT; Philipp Lerche Torres 2018 Spruce

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”