Jazz on Classical guitar

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
ronjazz

Re: Jazz on Classical guitar

Post by ronjazz » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:48 pm

Pat Martino was a world-class professional at 15, pretty much dashing the "10-20 years to become a jazz player" meme to pieces. I was playing jazz in a major city for a living by the age of 24, having played the guitar for 9 years. The secret was as stated above: immersion in the music. Practicing technique on the classical guitar will develop enough technique to play jazz, but learning the aural language is key. I spent a couple of frustrating evenings with John Williams trying to get him, at his request, to play jazz, but he had too little jazz in his lifetime of listening, in spite of his father being a pretty good swing jazz player. Charlie Byrd, likewise, was a pretty good swing-jazz player, not particularly sophisticated or daring. As far as separating who's a real jazz guitarist and who isn't, that's an exercise of the listener's ego, period. There are, however, several excellent jazz guitarists utilizing the nylon-string guitar, including Gene Bertoncini, Romero Lubambo, Ralph Towner, and the late Bola Sete, Rafael Rabello and Baden Powell.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Ren Leblanc

Post by Ren Leblanc » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:24 am

Check out Lenny Breau - he recorded at least one album or demo in a cabin using a classical.

Joe pass is definitely a must as well.

One newer player to watch out for is Antoine Bower - has some serious classical chops and plays jazz as well, though he mostly plays jazz on electric.

Lenny Breau is really the king of fingerstyle jazz though - check out live at bourbon street.

Most of what the fingerstyle jazz players are playing could be played on a classical guitar because they seldom bend.

jazzkat

Post by jazzkat » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:40 am

ronjazz wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:48 pm
Pat Martino was a world-class professional at 15, pretty much dashing the "10-20 years to become a jazz player" meme to pieces. I was playing jazz in a major city for a living by the age of 24, having played the guitar for 9 years. The secret was as stated above: immersion in the music. Practicing technique on the classical guitar will develop enough technique to play jazz, but learning the aural language is key. I spent a couple of frustrating evenings with John Williams trying to get him, at his request, to play jazz, but he had too little jazz in his lifetime of listening, in spite of his father being a pretty good swing jazz player. Charlie Byrd, likewise, was a pretty good swing-jazz player, not particularly sophisticated or daring. As far as separating who's a real jazz guitarist and who isn't, that's an exercise of the listener's ego, period. There are, however, several excellent jazz guitarists utilizing the nylon-string guitar, including Gene Bertoncini, Romero Lubambo, Ralph Towner, and the late Bola Sete, Rafael Rabello and Baden Powell.
Because there is no like button allow me to say :merci: for your wonderful post
:bravo:

ThomasW

Post by ThomasW » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:30 pm

This one is not about theory or how to actually play jazz on your classical, but if you like nice arrangements for cg I highly recommend Michael Langer's book "Acoustic Jazz Guitar Solos".

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”