Critique my technique! Carcassi Op. 60 No. 1

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
lev

Critique my technique! Carcassi Op. 60 No. 1

Post by lev » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:17 pm

Hi All,

I have been playing classical guitar for about four months and have been studying the Carcassi Etude Op. 60 No. 1 for the past month and a half. I was hoping to get some advice about my technique and posture as I feel there might be some issues and I'd like to avoid to developing bad habits early on.

Specifically, I notice that (1) my right arm seems to contact the guitar further towards the bottom of the guitar than other players (so that the arm is approaching being parallel with the neck) and (2) sometimes my RH wrist seems to be "depressed" rather than "arched" - i.e. my wrist is below the largest knuckles on the hand rather than above.

Any comments, instructional videos, or suggested exercises would be much appreciated!

Last edited by lev on Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Re: Critique my technique! Carcassi Op. 60 No. 1

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:48 pm

I'm nobody but.. I think you are playing fabulously!

:bravo:

The only thing you need is a better microphone! Join the club. Haha.

Maybe a higher chair. You look to be pretty tall. A higher seat will lower the body of the guitar then you can raise the neck higher.

Although, I don't personally mind low chairs and playing just like this. If it's comfortable, let it roll!

I'm short and I actually wish my chair went lower. Haha.
Cordoba CP110: RC Recital RL50 MT: Flesh

Kent

Post by Kent » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:55 pm

If you have been playing only 4 months, you picked the right instrument!
It all boils down to practicing smart. You obviously have enough talent to become a great player. I highly recommend getting the right roots with a reputable teacher. Practicing things wrong take twice as long to fix once they feel like the norm.
Find a teacher. I think you will be glad you did.

lev

Post by lev » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:12 pm

Christopher Langley wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:48 pm
I'm nobody but.. I think you are playing fabulously!

:bravo:

The only thing you need is a better microphone! Join the club. Haha.

Maybe a higher chair. You look to be pretty tall. A higher seat will lower the body of the guitar then you can raise the neck higher.

Although, I don't personally mind low chairs and playing just like this. If it's comfortable, let it roll!

I'm short and I actually wish my chair went lower. Haha.
Thanks! And yeah, I am fairly tall (6'3" / 190cm) - perhaps a higher seat would be better.

Kent wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:55 pm
If you have been playing only 4 months, you picked the right instrument!
It all boils down to practicing smart. You obviously have enough talent to become a great player. I highly recommend getting the right roots with a reputable teacher. Practicing things wrong take twice as long to fix once they feel like the norm.
Find a teacher. I think you will be glad you did.
I do have a background in cello (and to a lesser extent piano) which has definitely helped with learning the guitar. I have been taking lessons since October with a great guitarist but he is still quite young and may not have a ton of experience teaching technique, so I was curious if anyone here would have any tips!

Julian Ward

Post by Julian Ward » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:53 pm

I think this is really great...The sinking wrist is evident and this is caused by the angle you are approaching the guitar from on your right hand. You are dragging it flat and too low which will cause you to push the heel of your hand into the soundboard. As you are so tall you need to sit taller. A footstool would struggle to get high enough for you. Certainly some room for experimenting with help from your teacher there.
Classical guitar teacher

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:08 pm

It's quite good, you're a natural at i,m alternation...very easy and fast. My suggestions:

1. your right arm is a bit far onto the lower bout. Try placing the arm so it's approximately in line with the line of the bridge if it continued to the edge of the guitar.
2. Slow way down and work on connecting each note. Right now your scales sound a bit detached. Go for legato which requires lifting, placing, plucking to be more synchronized so as to not cut the notes short.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:54 am

You're doing great for playing only 4 months! Good you have a teacher to guide you along. What scale length is your guitar? You may consider getting a bigger one like a Ramirez 1A with 664 scale or longer. You may find some bargains since long scale guitars do not command high prices because demand is low.

Did you make that video on your iMac with its internal mic? It's warbling like you're playing under water. As said already, get a better mic.

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:34 am

lev wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:17 pm
Hey lev,

A friend of mine has an ergoplay troster that he can't get rid of. It might be a good fit for you. Worth a try.

He says he will send it to you for 25 dollars if you are in the lower 48.
Cordoba CP110: RC Recital RL50 MT: Flesh

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:50 am

lev wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:17 pm
Hi All,

I have been playing classical guitar for about four months and have been studying the Carcassi Etude Op. 60 No. 1 for the past month and a half...
From my perspective (as a student myself) you played the piece with great skill, speed and clarity of playing. Hard to see the right hand but things look good to me.
1989 Takamine C132S, D'Addario Pro-Arté DynaCore (TNH-3T, SDN-3B) strings

Terpfan

Post by Terpfan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:59 am

Is your teacher from Peabody??

Terpfan

Post by Terpfan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:24 am

Your guitar is way too high. Lower your guitar so your top contact point is near your sternum. Your right shoulder is lower than your left shoulder. Level your shoulders. Pull your right arm back so your contact point is more towards your wrist. Open your hand more so your attack is more parallel to the guitar than vertical.(for tone)

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:29 am

After four months this is impressive. I feel your tone is bound to be rather weak and thin due to your RH position and the angle of your fingers. You might be able to make it work but it;s a sort of half-way house between CG style and playing cross-legged and between two stools is not a good place to be. I'd agree with others about the height of the chair and sitting position etc.

I suspect that you would do well to find a more experienced teacher just for a few lessons while you sort out the basics. The practice you do is embedding your current habits and it'll be more difficult to make changes later, and annoying to have to make them. .

But you're off to flying start. You ought to become a good player.

All 'in my opinion' of course.

lev

Post by lev » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:51 pm

Thank you for the advice everyone! This is my attempt to fix some of the issues - it feels different, but I can see it being a workable posture given some time to adapt. I'm not sure if I should angle the guitar even higher?

Terpfan

Post by Terpfan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:05 am

Looks better. I think Jason Vieaux is around your height. Check his video. He tilts the guitar upward.(guitar is facing upwards) this position is easier on right hand and more difficult for left hand. (Although visibility of the finngerboard is better) but since Vieaux and you have a huge left hand, it won't be a problem.

Terpfan

Post by Terpfan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:05 am

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”