Flamenco contra Classical position

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
lennarton

Flamenco contra Classical position

Post by lennarton » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:48 pm

What is the reason why holding the guitar is different when you see a flamenco player contra a classical guitar player?
I assume there are some technical reasons, but what is the advantages?
LOVE IS ALL YOU NEED

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Re: Flamenco contra Classical position

Post by Christopher Langley » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:09 pm

This gets asked weekly.

I don't mind. It's a good question with a good answer.

Flamenco players sit the way they do primarily so that they can see the dancers to make sure they are perfectly in synch..

Generally flamenco is really more about dancers and singers than guitar, which usually takes on more of a supporting role. Keeping time and playing chords to harmonize.

There are solo flamenco guitarists however. And they are very good. Look at Paco De Lucia. But it's sort of a niche within a niche. Just like classical guitar!
Cordoba CP110: RC Recital RL50 MT: Flesh

barcod

Post by barcod » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:20 am

Flamenco playing produces a better tone when strings are played between the sound hole and the bridge. It also does not require the right hand movement that is required for the classical guitar to generate the different tones. The hand positions in flamenco are different depending on the form being played, but the arm reaching around the guitar, for the lack of a better description, helps with the leverage in these hand positions as opposed to the classical way of "hanging the hand" over the strings.

So basically the requirements of the right hand positioning to make it most comfortable for the player changes the way they hold the guitar. I am not sure this has anything to do with seeing the performer; to me both positions should be able to see the performer just fine.

lennarton

Post by lennarton » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:37 pm

Thanks for answers.
LOVE IS ALL YOU NEED

Ricflair

Post by Ricflair » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:20 pm

lennarton wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:48 pm
What is the reason why holding the guitar is different when you see a flamenco player contra a classical guitar player?
I assume there are some technical reasons, but what is the advantages?
It is easier to play the abinico technique, right legged with the bicep touching the upper bout of the guitar. It allows a rotational turn of the right forearm. This technique is done all the time in flamenco guitar. Once you get good at it, you can play flamenco from a variety of positions including the classical position. It just isn't commonly done. It is good for your body to be able to play in a variety of different seating positions anyways...😀

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”