playing mute strings to strengthen right hand finger + better tone production

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
detwidkul

playing mute strings to strengthen right hand finger + better tone production

Post by detwidkul » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:19 am

I have no idea whether it is just me having this kind of weird situation.

I find that whenever the RH tone production seem weak ( low volume ) and thin ( and I try to figure it out why and it seems overwhelming with angle of attack, nail length and shape and posture ) all sort of things comes to my head like blind man :(

then I take the time thinking what makes me produce good strong tone before.
and it was because I practice with some cloth under the string to mute it like 70-80 percent of the vibration. I find that I have to really pluck the string stronger naturally and more focus on my fingers to really attack the strings not just pass through them.

After 15-20 mins, I take the cloth off, the tone become much clearer and fuller with more finger confidence over the strings.
the weak sound may come back again after 4-5 days then I have to come back to this exercise again to get the feel.
2018 hauser III
2018 Kathrin hauser
2017 Tobias berg
2017 paco marin 40th anni
2018 sakurai kohno maestro

kobloch strings

Jack Douglas

Re: playing mute strings to strengthen right hand finger + better tone production

Post by Jack Douglas » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:43 pm

Read your interesting tone production comments. Thank you. But, I couldn’t get my eyes off your guitar collection. Wow! Do you have a favorite between the Kathrin Hauser and the Hauser III?
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

astro64

Re: playing mute strings to strengthen right hand finger + better tone production

Post by astro64 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:19 pm

There could be a psychological factor at work here. Whenever one of my guitars tends to sound dull, I dampen the strings with the LH, play some rasgueados, arpeggios, or scales for a few minutes and, bingo, the guitar sings. I suspect it is my brain fooling me, hearing all of a sudden resonance and sustain where there was non while playing damped strings.

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:57 pm

Paco did it.

An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:13 pm

This is why I keep a couple student guitars around for practicing. I would never record with one because they just don't ring out right, but they are good for training the fingers and for when I'm trying to not be annoying to people within listening distance.

If I play a student guitar for a few hours and then switch back to my Cordoba I can suddenly really appreciate the guitar more.
Cordoba CP110: RC Recital RL50 MT: Flesh

detwidkul

Post by detwidkul » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:20 am

Jack Douglas wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:43 pm
Read your interesting tone production comments. Thank you. But, I couldn’t get my eyes off your guitar collection. Wow! Do you have a favorite between the Kathrin Hauser and the Hauser III?
Infact, I never have a chance to try hauser II which is said to be much better than the recent version. Both of Hauser III and Kathryn III was built in the year 2018, so I hope it will reveal more and more.

Hauser iii has fuller sound but Kathrin share the same characteristic but has stronger attack. Both guitar shares no overtone.
I find Hauser guitars are easy to play for LH but to produce good tone it is very sensitive, hausers will reveal very much bad tone from poor attack or technique. I guess it is not the forgiving guitar but well rewarded when I am at my best some days. with my bad days I will leave hausers sleep in the case.

Personally, I find both hausers are great for recording.
2018 hauser III
2018 Kathrin hauser
2017 Tobias berg
2017 paco marin 40th anni
2018 sakurai kohno maestro

kobloch strings

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:49 pm

Practicing with the cloth is a common recomendation, I do it and several teachers recomended me in the past.
But the point is not about brute force or finger strength, but to focus on producing a loud and "concentrated" percussive sound. If you play with bad nail shape and angle, or lack of speed during attack or release, the percussive sound looses focus and power. To me this focus character looks like more evident with the percussive sound than in a regular note sound.
With the last teacher I've had, an amazing concert player, I learned to play much louder with so less effort, through vibrating string properly.
Unfortunately this is not something one could teach through words.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”