David Jaggs Technique Tutorials

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
DevonBadger

David Jaggs Technique Tutorials

Post by DevonBadger » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:34 am

David Jaggs will be posting a series of video tutorials on his YT channel (DPJFILMS) about various aspects of technique.

Here he is introducing the tutorials...

And here is the 2nd video with an interesting look at how Manuel Barrueco plays fast rest strokes...

RobMacKillop

Re: David Jaggs Technique Tutorials

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:21 am

I'm in no position to criticise Barrueco. Period. I do remember hearing those two albums for the first time, and they were an incredible assault on the ears, and a gauntlet thrown down to all guitarists. After a while, though, I did feel I was getting hit on the head too many times for my liking, it was relentless. I don't listen to that style of playing any more, but I have nothing but admiration for Manuel Barrueco, one of the all-time greats.

DevonBadger

Post by DevonBadger » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:29 am

RobMacKillop wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:21 am
I'm in no position to criticise Barrueco. Period. I do remember hearing those two albums for the first time, and they were an incredible assault on the ears, and a gauntlet thrown down to all guitarists. After a while, though, I did feel I was getting hit on the head too many times for my liking, it was relentless. I don't listen to that style of playing any more, but I have nothing but admiration for Manuel Barrueco, one of the all-time greats.
Just so I understand Rob, when you say 'that style' what is it you mean? Too much attack, not enough tonal variation...?

Crofty

Post by Crofty » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:07 pm

Thanks for posting these DB. He seems a nice guy and i'll check out his site.

Picking up on what Rob said I would just add that fast scales often need to be delicate - for example divisions in lute music which simply don't work with heavy, i/m rest strokes. Similarly Barrueco's Giuliani sounded very dated now using - as Jaggs himself described them - "machine gun" scales.

To be fair of course the video ^was^ dated and maybe MB wouldn't play such pieces that way now.

Paul

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:30 pm

David Jaggs is a dedicated and skilled musician. I believe he was using MB as just one example of right hand adjustment in the playing of fast scales and not the ‘only’ way. I also interpreted the subject as a information awareness of David Jaggs new tutorials on his utube site and not a promotion of MB’s fast scale technique. Matt Palmer is a current fast scales player and published a book on the subject; FWIW. I find David’s teaching/tutorials interesting and filled with concise and helpful instructions.
Last edited by Jack Douglas on Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:39 pm

There is nothing in my post criticising David Jags, a fine fellow who I know from his time at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music. I just didn't have time to give a critique of the video, but just enough time to share my own reminiscence of the impact those two albums made.

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:57 pm

Thanks for the heads up on these tutorial videos. I'm looking forward to more.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

Crofty

Post by Crofty » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:41 pm

Jack Douglas wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:30 pm
David Jaggs is a dedicated and skilled musician. I believe he was using MB as just one example of right hand adjustment in the playing of fast scales and not the ‘only’ way.
Not sure who that is aimed at or what point you are making. My own response was specifically aimed at MB's scale playing, that being the only example shown. David described it as "like a machine gun" which seemed fairly accurate to me.

I wasn't even saying that was a negative - just that it is not always appropriate;

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:03 pm

DevonBadger wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:29 am
Just so I understand Rob, when you say 'that style' what is it you mean? Too much attack, not enough tonal variation...?
I'm sorry, David, or DevonBadger - whatever your name is - I'm just not into fast aggressive playing as a listening experience. I'm not saying it is good or bad, it just does nothing for me. But I like the fact that David is willing to share his experience with Manuel Barrueco, so that other people who might want to play like this have some pointers to help them. And I wish David every success with his series of videos.

Terpfan

Post by Terpfan » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:26 am

RobMacKillop wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:03 pm
DevonBadger wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:29 am
I'm sorry, David, or DevonBadger - whatever your name is - I'm just not into fast aggressive playing as a listening experience. I'm not saying it is good or bad, it just does nothing for me. But I like the fact that David is willing to share his experience with Manuel Barrueco, so that other people who might want to play like this have some pointers to help them. And I wish David every success with his series of videos.
Manuel does not like his old albums either, he talked about being labeled as a fast player was not good for him. Although Barrueco fan like me love the vox box.

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 pm

I don’t entirely agree with what Jaggs says about Barrueco’s right hand. While he doesn’t explicitly say so, he implies that Barrueco uses a severely deviated wrist during rest stroke scales. (At least twice during this video, Jaggs holds his right wrist in a severely deviated position to visually show what Barrueco is doing.) But look closely at the video samples Jaggs refers to. Barrueco actually arches his wrist more as he approaches the bass strings—Jaggs never mentions this. Barrueco doesn’t deviate his wrist all that much, at least not as much as Jaggs implies.

Jaggs also outrightly dismisses moving from the elbow for string crossing. (“The movement from the elbow, that we mentioned before—I mean, that’s a really terrible—I don’t know how anyone plays scales like that.”) In fact, moving from the elbow is a perfectly good and economical way to play scales that don’t cross more than two or three strings. Virtually all good players do it.

It’s also disappointing to see Jaggs perpetuate the belief that an angled nail attack inevitably causes scraping on wound strings. This is simply false. The scraping noise on wound strings is the result of imprecise placement of the nail on the string. If your nail contacts and departs the string at the same point, there will be no scraping. The angle of attack is irrelevant.

Finally, I wish Jaggs wouldn’t imply that all guitar teachers during the 1980s were teaching the same way. During this time, I was taught several ways to do string crossing, including the one Jaggs attributes to Barrueco. Maybe Jaggs’ teachers weren’t teaching it. But mine was.

Jaggs is obviously a highly accomplished player. But based on the evidence of this one video, he might reconsider what he’s saying.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:15 pm

Tom Poore wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 pm

Jaggs is obviously a highly accomplished player. But based on the evidence of this one video, he might reconsider what he’s saying.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA
I don't think we need more than this fact to listen carefully to Jaggs. What he says in his second tutorial makes total sense to me.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:06 pm

For the noise on the bass strings, it is not just a matter of hitting the right contact point. The nail shape plays a role too and playing more perpendicular to the string can make the difference if you have longer nails or ramped nails.

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:34 pm

I'd describe what he's doing now for rest stroke technique (this video) as more subtle and refined, although basically the same as those old videos. What I see might be a very small right deviation of the wrist, but also a slight pronation of the wrist (tipping so the index is closer to the string). Also a clear collapsing of the middle finger tip joint for rest strokes. Maybe there's some additional arching for the rest strokes as well.

See 0:50 min and forward
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”