A question about im alternation

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
ocaliptuseu

A question about im alternation

Post by ocaliptuseu » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:28 pm

When they are long periods of silence in a piece or when I'm passing strings my right hand seems to stop alternating for a moment and starts again with other fingers stroke. For example when I'm trying to play imimimim I generally play it like imimiimi or imimimmi.
It doesn't effect my speed or accuracy. Is this a problem? If it is, how can I fix this?

Nick Cutroneo

Re: A question about im alternation

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:30 pm

In terms of long rhythmical space between notes I wouldn't worry about strict alternation. However with string crossings I keep strict alternation. The best way to deal with it, slow down and ensure you are performing it correctly. Say the RH fingering to bring your mind to what your hand is doing.
Nick Cutroneo - Classical Guitarist, performer/teacher/suzuki instructor

Terpfan

Post by Terpfan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:26 am

When there is a pause, it does not matter. However after you are familiar with the piece, you should note your right hand fingering so you will consistently use the same fingering for your right hand.

Robin

Post by Robin » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:44 am

ocaliptuseu wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:28 pm
When they are long periods of silence in a piece or when I'm passing strings my right hand seems to stop alternating for a moment and starts again with other fingers stroke. For example when I'm trying to play imimimim I generally play it like imimiimi or imimimmi.
It doesn't effect my speed or accuracy. Is this a problem? If it is, how can I fix this?
When there is a rest, a new phrase or other musical break, repeating a finger isn't neccesarily a problem. The key is to be sure the finger you are choosing takes your right hand where you want it to go. Does starting on the chosen finger lead to facilitating smooth string crossings (as Nick pointed out)? These are critical to confident playing and control of tone and articulation. And don't forget about "a"!

Our brain likes to give the most attention to the left hand while our right hand functions on auto-pilot but I'm convinced that it is the right hand that should be leading our playing. It initiates the sound, controls tone, articulation and rhythm. Planning, learning and having a conscious awareness of our right hand fingering while playing will likely lead to improved quality of the performance.

Robin
So much music, so little time.

Terpfan

Post by Terpfan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:29 am

Robin wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:44 am
When there is a rest, a new phrase or other musical break, repeating a finger isn't neccesarily a problem. The key is to be sure the finger you are choosing takes your right hand where you want it to go. Does starting on the chosen finger lead to facilitating smooth string crossings (as Nick pointed out)? These are critical to confident playing and control of tone and articulation. And don't forget about "a"!

Our brain likes to give the most attention to the left hand while our right hand functions on auto-pilot but I'm convinced that it is the right hand that should be leading our playing. It initiates the sound, controls tone, articulation and rhythm. Planning, learning and having a conscious awareness of our right hand fingering while playing will likely lead to improved quality of the performance.

Robin
Right on!! Perfectly articulated!!

ocaliptuseu

Post by ocaliptuseu » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:07 pm

Thank you for replies :D

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”