Ring finger stronger than index? For free strokes

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Sebastian

Ring finger stronger than index? For free strokes

Post by Sebastian » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:46 pm

Right hand for Free Strokes (not rest strokes): I've always noted that my ring -and middle- fingers are stronger than my index finger, specifically, when playing on the first string (for instance, for playing the sixth string with thumb and at the same time attack the first string with either index or ring. And that's even though I excercise a lot more the index-medium combination with several drills and study concepts. I'm not sure if this is just my anatomy or the overall.
This does not happens with rest strokes, as there all fingers have more or less the same strength.
Some professors stated that the ring finger sometimes is stronger than the other ones, and if I recall correctly it was Sagreras or some other author who called it the "singer finger" (translated from Spanish "el dedo que canta").
I would like to know if this happens to anyone else too (or to how much people), as many times I prefer to play some melodies with ring and middle alternation, even when index and middle is possible; although I try to use index as possible to "calibrate" this "defect".
You're reading this.

ronjazz

Re: Ring finger stronger than index? For free strokes

Post by ronjazz » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:55 am

Working on volume control may help, I find that any of my fingers can be louder or softer than the others.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Tonit

Post by Tonit » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:42 am

So it's been said but is my case.
The strongest out of mines is middle.
The most beautifully sounding is index.
The most controllable is also index.
So my ring is quite auxilary, and I am hesitant to employ.
I don't know if it helps, but I also play and learning flamenco, where i and m are more important, especially for fast single lines, which is called picado (and excluding lasgueos where all five fingers are involved).
It may help if you get down on some picado workouts.
BTW the most useful in picking nose is pinky, with extra nail length for lasgueos :).

Jokes aside I also noticed that the above difference is not so much audible to the others when I play. It is highly likely that the difference is based more on player's own awareness.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:53 am

ronjazz wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:55 am
Working on volume control may help, I find that any of my fingers can be louder or softer than the others.
What I meant was, despite training all fingers and even focusing on the right hand index finger on paramethers of accuracy and strength, to name some, it still always seemed to me that my ring finger is naturally stronger.
This is specially more visible for me when playing on the first string.
You're reading this.

oski79

Post by oski79 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:37 am

I'm one of those weirdos who really likes using my ring finger on the 1st string. Or even the second if called for. I feel like I get a really strong stroke, rest or free, and nice tone from it.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:06 pm

I just would point that I think "stronger" is the wrong world. It might have better nail, better angle according to size and hand position etc. But good sound is not a matter of brute force. Being stronger is not the point. Maybe you should work hand positioning, but this is just a weak guess.

Justfun

Post by Justfun » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:10 pm

oski79 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:37 am
I'm one of those weirdos who really likes using my ring finger on the 1st string. Or even the second if called for. I feel like I get a really strong stroke, rest or free, and nice tone from it.
Funny thing I like to use my a finger and the sound is as good as IM.

Fred
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Ramirez 4NE, IRW \ Cedar 2011
Yamaha CG192S

Steve
Amateur luthier

Post by Steve » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:45 am

I also find my ring finger to be “strong” and frequently use it. I always attributed this strength to my many years of trumpet playing which required strength and dexterity with i, m, and a fingers.

robert e

Post by robert e » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:58 pm

If it's especially perceptible when playing simultaneously with the thumb, then maybe we're talking about simple mechanical (or anatomical) advantage, or its consequences. The index finger is both closer to the thumb and moves less oppositionally to the thumb than the ring finger. In other words, the ring finger and thumb are better positioned to help each other when flexing simultaneously. Just opening and closing one's hand should illustrate this. I can see how this could be perceived as "stronger" in the context of plucking guitar strings.

A related consequence is that, in typical playing posture, the index fingernail takes a more oblique (less perpendicular) path across the string than does the ring finger's, and this slightly gentler interaction (compared to the ring finger) would tend to produce a softer, less defined tone. (Being further from the bridge may also contribute to this effect.) Perhaps that's what the OP meant?

Another thing: On my smallish hand, just being further from the thumb gives the ring finger a kind of advantage when I want to play first and sixth strings at the same time. And generally, in typical arpeggio posture, the ring finger is comfortably "at home" on the first string, while the index has to reach for it, which has to compromise its action somewhat.

On the other hand, when I play rest strokes or tremolo, I tend to bend my wrist slightly so that the knuckles line up more parallel to the strings, which lessens these mechanical differences between fingers. It does seem to lessen the differences in tone as well.

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:54 pm

Luis makes a good point: there are no muscles in the fingers, so it's probably a combination of angles and nail length, etc.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”