RH finger alternation

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
detwidkul

RH finger alternation

Post by detwidkul » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:57 am

I believe RH finger must alternate in autopilot mode even with the crossing strings.

But they do sometimes repeat itself. so I try to see the problem and the BIG one of them is that

TO start with IM with simple chromatic run F - G# (1234) and so on to the 5th fret. the finger alternate normally

But when start with MI it gets little awkward in controlling.

the problem is more obvious when run with 3142 and start with IM, it is easier to start with MI

I think it is because when both hand start from opposite direction. But in reality when both hand palm down, they do move in the same direction.

Is it the brain and eye issue ?

and how to fix this problem correctly
2018 hauser III
2018 Kathrin hauser
2017 Tobias berg
2017 paco marin 40th anni
2018 sakurai kohno maestro

kobloch strings

Juergen Schenk
Teacher

Re: RH finger alternation

Post by Juergen Schenk » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:20 pm

Did you try to repeat each note a few times? In my experience it was very useful to repeat each note 5, 6 or 7 times before playing single notes.
Put me back on my bike - Tom Simpson

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:26 pm

detwidkul wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:57 am
TO start with IM with simple chromatic run F - G# (1234) and so on to the 5th fret. the finger alternate normally
But when start with MI it gets little awkward in controlling.
the problem is more obvious when run with 3142 and start with IM, it is easier to start with MI

I think it is because when both hand start from opposite direction. But in reality when both hand palm down, they do move in the same direction.
Is it the brain and eye issue ? and how to fix this problem correctly
I think you've made good observations. It is a brain issue. We seem to be wired so that it is a bit easier to perform mirror tasks with left and right hand. If you try to write your signature with both hands, it is much easier to produce something passable with the non-dominant hand (say the left hand) if it is writing the mirror image of your signature simultaneously with the right hand writing it the proper way (versus LH trying by itself; or versus LH doing the signature in the same direction as the dominant hand simultaneously).

This seem to translate to the guitar. Because the left hand is flipped over, it means that it would be easier to start a scale with RH i -> m if the left hand has to do 1-2 or 1-3 or 1-4 (so going in the 'same direction', which because of the flipped left hand still implies going mirror-like.)

To solve this - just practice. Slowly. Your brain can learn every which way; just be patient.

Addendum: Also note that this feeling/confusion tends to occur only at the start of a scale, so there is a psychological component to it as well. We tend to notice it when starting a scale, but not so much the many times within a scale that the LH and RH are going in the "wrong" direction. This surely occurs a lot within a scale run since the RH only goes i->m or m->i, i.e. switches "direction" with every note, while the LH frequently has groups of 2 or 3 notes in the same direction.
Last edited by guitarrista on Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:47 pm

Agree with guitarrista.
Just practice extremely slow and brain will memorize what you consciously repeat.
You don't need to repeat too much. Just do it slow and always the right way for a few minutes spread along the day.

detwidkul

Post by detwidkul » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:47 am

Thank you for your advice. it get better and better every day. I think it will need sometimes to execute it at the same speed with the opposite direction finger alternation.
2018 hauser III
2018 Kathrin hauser
2017 Tobias berg
2017 paco marin 40th anni
2018 sakurai kohno maestro

kobloch strings

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”