Best guitar method for self learning

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Larry McDonald
Teacher

Re: Best guitar method for self learning

Post by Larry McDonald » Thu May 23, 2019 12:39 am

15070p3 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:48 pm
From the University of Texas at Austin,
http://hdl.handle.net/2152/954
discusses what constitute a good classical guitar method (book) and reviews many extant method books available since the 19th century.

To download the PDF file, follow the link above then click on

View/Open
steadmanks026.pdf (1.567Mb)
This is pretty good. Did he ever publish a finished method?
-Lare
Dr. Lawrence A. McDonald, D.M.A., Art Kaplan Fellow
Author of The Conservatory Tutor for Guitar
2018 Michael Thames "Ancient Dragon" Cd/Ir
2008 Michael Thames Cd/Br
Royal Conservatory Advanced Guitar and Theory Instructor

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Thu May 23, 2019 1:26 am

Yisrael van Handel wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:13 pm
Tom Poore wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:43 pm
Robbie Flamerock wrote:Shearer wrote his first book in 1937?
His first book was published in 1959.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA
That is incorrect. I have a 4 volumes of his 1937 Method. And it is for sale in several places on the Internet.
Shearer was born in 1919. He would have been 18 yrs old in 1937.

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Thu May 23, 2019 1:31 am

And since we're talking about Aaron Shearer I'd like to thank Mr. Poore, on behalf of myself and my students, for his editing work on Shearer's Learning the Classic Guitar method.

Larry McDonald
Teacher

Post by Larry McDonald » Thu May 23, 2019 2:07 am

Lawler wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:31 am
And since we're talking about Aaron Shearer I'd like to thank Mr. Poore, on behalf of myself and my students, for his editing work on Shearer's Learning the Classic Guitar method.
Yes. This. Big Bravo!
Lare
Dr. Lawrence A. McDonald, D.M.A., Art Kaplan Fellow
Author of The Conservatory Tutor for Guitar
2018 Michael Thames "Ancient Dragon" Cd/Ir
2008 Michael Thames Cd/Br
Royal Conservatory Advanced Guitar and Theory Instructor

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Thu May 23, 2019 6:39 am

Lawler wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:26 am
Shearer was born in 1919. He would have been 18 yrs old in 1937.
Tom Poore wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:43 pm
His first book was published in 1959.
Tom Poore
I stand corrected. The colophon states "NY 1937". But what made me suspicious, after Tom Poore raised the issue, is that the pictures of Aaron Shearer demonstrating various techniques are of a man in his 40s. Upon further checking, I found a proper copyright statement with date 1959 on the verso of the colophon, which accords with what you and Tom Poore have been saying. I am not the only one who made this mistake, because I found on the Internet someone who wrote Shearer produced his first method book at age 17. It is clear to me now that that is a misreading of the colophon. Tom Poore, I apologize for correcting you.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

15070p3

Post by 15070p3 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:10 am

Larry McDonald wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 12:39 am
15070p3 wrote:
discusses what constitute a good classical guitar method (book) and reviews many extant method books available since the 19th century.

View/Open
-Lare
I really don't know whether he has published a finished method in a book. However, he runs a music academy, https://www.orpheusacademy.com/steadman-klondike.html.
"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." - - Shakespeare

15070p3

Post by 15070p3 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:50 am

15070p3 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:10 am
Larry McDonald wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 12:39 am
15070p3 wrote:

View/Open
-Lare
I really don't know whether he has published a finished method in a book. However, he runs a music academy, https://www.orpheusacademy.com/steadman-klondike.html.
Tyler Shepard has published this book, https://www.shepardguitar.com/guitar-method.html, which stems from a similar philosophy.
"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." - - Shakespeare

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Thu May 23, 2019 12:15 pm

My version of the Shearer method has the earliest copyright @1959/Ricordi, followed by @1963/Franco Colombo, and lastly @1969/Belwin Mills.

Eliseo
Composer

Post by Eliseo » Fri May 31, 2019 4:15 pm

Undoubtedly Gabriel Silva is very well advised. He get advice from very knowledgeable people in the field. I think these tips are all very constructive.
But in my humble opinion, I think I read that Gabriel Silva is self-taught, and many tips can not help him.
1º- He is in the DO3 level
2º- What is his musical preparation?
3º- etc .....
If he follows Delcamp forum courses, I think it's a good way. All of you are advising different systems of Methods and none is bad.
Why does not a moderator take the floor explaining to him what the Delcamp forum studies consist of?
Greetings

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret

Nick Trapani

Post by Nick Trapani » Fri May 31, 2019 6:10 pm

Don't over look https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/ the website of Bradford Werner, all of his method books and technique books have excellent videos for every lesson. It also is a treasure trove of scores with accompanying videos. He just this week published a new book of 7 grade 1 pieces which includes practice lessons to help learn each piece. A method that is useful when learning any new piece. He so far has videos for the first three pieces. It is really a great little book and the pdf can be downloaded for a very reasonable price.

Tom Wimsatt
Student of the online lessons

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:12 pm

Yisrael van Handel wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:17 am
GabrielSilva wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:39 am
Hi! Which is the best method for self learning the classical guitar technique? And which daily workload and study routine would you recommend for having a good evolution through self teaching? (sorry for the bad English)
Gabriel,
This is a very difficult question to answer. What is your level now? What are your goals? My own experience is that you need three different types of information to get started: technique, basic music theory, and interpretation. The bad news is that there is not much written on interpretation, especially not for beginners. The good news is that any well-trained musician, and especially a conductor, can help you with interpretation. As for technqiue and basic music theory, it depends on what you already know.
  1. For absolute beginners, I have not yet found anything better or more effective than Aaron Shearer's Classical Guitar Technique, volume 1 and 2. Get the original 1937 edition, which is now in the public domain, and you should be able to find for free on the internet. These two books will give you a basic background in how to read music and how to play the guitar. Shearer's technique is outdated, and when you finish book 2, you should switch to modern technique.
  2. When you finish Aaron Shearer's two books, you need beginner's repertoire to play, and knowledge about modern technique.
  3. Books about modern technique (if you are serious, you will need all of them; this will cost you about $200 altogether):
    • Stanley Yates, Classical Guitar Technique from Foundations to Virtuosity, Volume 1 and 2
    • Hubert Käppel, The Bible of Classical Guitar Technique. If you read German, get it in German, because the English translation is poor.
    • Scott Tenannt, Pumping Nylon
    • Marco Tamayo, Essential Principles for the interpretation of the classical guitar. Very expensive for a tiny little book, English translation is poor. If you can read Spanish, get it in Spanish. Important information about technique for the intermediate guitarist aspiring to advance.
  4. Beginner's repertoire:
  5. Finally, if you read Spanish, Mario Amayo's Metodología de estudio para la ejección e interpretación de la guitarra clásica, which you can find on the internet, contains important basics about interpretation that you will not find elsewhere.
Of course, the best thing is to have a great teacher. I am in the United States every year for two weeks, and during my stay there I arrange guitar workshops for myself with a top teacher. For the rest of the year I am on my own, and these books are my guides (plus feedback from this forum).
I hope some of this helps.
Yisrael,
I just happened to see this thread. Thank you for providing this information, this is very helpful!!
1989 Takamine C132S, Savarez Corum.500 ARJ strings

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:20 pm

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:12 pm
Yisrael,
I just happened to see this thread. Thank you for providing this information, this is very helpful!!
Hi, Tom,
I am glad if I can be of use. Let me know if you have any questions. And good luck on your journey in the world of music.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”