About squeaks

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
GabrielSilva

About squeaks

Post by GabrielSilva » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:38 am

What do you think about guitar squeaks? Sometimes I think it is beautiful (when it's not in excess), part of the charm of the guitar sound, but I understand it's considered a dirty sound.

How one can avoid squeaking?

BugDog

Re: About squeaks

Post by BugDog » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:09 pm

I don't think you can entirely avoid string squeak.

For me,the first thing is noticing where and when I'm making the squeak. Then I try to release the fretting pressure vertically off the string before making any horizontal movement with the hand. Sometimes it takes awhile to figure out how to do that and do it consistently. Slow practice is how I approach it.

There are some chords with stretches that make that hard to do sometimes and all you can do is minimize and live with it.
BugDog
There's one in every crowd.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:42 pm

Villa-Lobos loved the squeaks!

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:09 pm

It bothers me a lot, but sometimes it is better some squeak with good legato than removing it completely and loosing the singing character.

bear

Post by bear » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:40 pm

2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:47 pm

My teacher and I talked about this exact thing in my last lesson. It is the release of pressure on the string with the left hand, but not lifting right away off the strings.... then lifting off and moving to the next position that minimizes squeak. He showed me a diagram in Pepe Romero’s book which shows that the timing of left and right hand are synchronized; when the right hand touches and prepares on the strings, the left touches but does not press. Then the left presses at the same moment the right loads the strings.
We practiced this in the ending of the A section of the Bach Allemande 996 where while trying to play legato, I was producing too much string noise as the ending is on the wound bass strings. Breaking the movements into parts, I could see that before, I was lifting my fingers off the strings and as I did my fingers slid a little (even though I was doing my best to lift straight off. If there was a nano second when I released the pressure but did not lift the fingers off, that made much less noise when I then lifted them off entirely. Practicing this in parts and then making it one motion, made a huge difference in the amount of noise produced.

Often, when people practice staccato scales, the right hand is playing staccato while the left is playing legato. So practicing true staccato works on the timing and synchronization of the hands and then being aware of that release of pressure of the left before taking the fingers off the strings. This has helped me a great deal.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Dave

Post by Dave » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:04 pm

I don't mind squeaks. I remember noticing them when i was a little boy watching someone play a guitar up close for the first time, I thought it was kind of cool. ;)
Dave

GabrielSilva

Post by GabrielSilva » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:44 pm

Thank you, guys! I appreciate all your tips. I also often think it's kind of cool, but in general, I think it's viewed as a dirty sound that should be avoided. I'll try to work on this.

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:04 pm

To practice this, again I recommend Carlevaro book 3. Here the first exercise from this book:

I would recommend achieving much more legato than in this demonstration. Different rhythm patterns, as recommended by Carlevaro, will help this.

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:12 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:42 pm
:lol: oh yes! It is nearly impossible to avoid all squeaks in his works. But a skilled guitarist can avoid most and make the unavoidables not too audible
Miodrag Zerdoner 8 string Stauffer-Legnani
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

Mickmac

Post by Mickmac » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:12 pm

Tomzooki wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:12 pm
RobMacKillop wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:42 pm
:lol: oh yes! It is nearly impossible to avoid all squeaks in his works. But a skilled guitarist can avoid most and make the unavoidables not too audible

I'd like to see/hear that done with the 4th Prelude. Any good examples out there?

Marko1976

Post by Marko1976 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:41 am

Nothong wrong with squeaks when playing Villa-Lobos style melody on bass string.

Any other example of squeaks is a result of bad technique and should be avoided.

GabrielSilva

Post by GabrielSilva » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:41 am

Luis_Br wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:04 pm
To practice this, again I recommend Carlevaro book 3. Here the first exercise from this book:

I would recommend achieving much more legato than in this demonstration. Different rhythm patterns, as recommended by Carlevaro, will help this.
Thank you, Luis! Will try it.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”