Bass string damp

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Tuan Phan Thanh

Bass string damp

Post by Tuan Phan Thanh » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:58 am

I have this problem when i play e string and then play a string my thumb cacht the e string when i play a. It feel not right. Should i damp the e string before play a or damp imediatly when play a. Because damp stimulatly with play a string is harder. Is damp the e then play a is aceptance. Do you have any idiea. I dont know if i describe it clear enough.

dtoh

Re: Bass string damp

Post by dtoh » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:37 am

I think the preferred method of damping in that case is to damp the e (6th) string with the side of your thumb while playing the a (5th) string. It's may feel awkward at first but with a little practice is relatively easy to master. Depending on your RH position it may also require you to slightly adjust your RH position.

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:32 am

Having a hard time understanding.

To reiterate.. When you play A, your thumb is also catching E?

This should not happen with rest strokes or free strokes.

A video is worth a million words if you can provide one I'm pretty sure we can help you out.
Why is the bed never made?

Tuan Phan Thanh

Post by Tuan Phan Thanh » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:03 am

Because before i play a i play e open then when i play a the e string still vibrate it catch the thumb. But i think damb with side thumb is work but need practice. Anyway thank for help.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:46 pm

Tuan Phan Thanh wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:03 am
Because before i play a i play e open then when i play a the e string still vibrate it catch the thumb.
As Chris says, this shouldn’t happen. Look at your hand position, in your videos it looks like it might be a little flat and the thumb too close to the hand. Try moving the knuckles further towards the treble strings to bring the fingers a lttle more vertical.
You need to find a position where the thumb clears the string and doesn’t lay back onto it.

Tuan Phan Thanh

Post by Tuan Phan Thanh » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:06 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:46 pm
Tuan Phan Thanh wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:03 am
Because before i play a i play e open then when i play a the e string still vibrate it catch the thumb.
As Chris says, this shouldn’t happen. Look at your hand position, in your videos it looks like it might be a little flat and the thumb too close to the hand. Try moving the knuckles further towards the treble strings to bring the fingers a lttle more vertical.
You need to find a position where the thumb clears the string and doesn’t lay back onto it.
Thank you for your advice i will try.

kmurdick

Post by kmurdick » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:54 pm

My video may be of some help.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”