Always accidentally plucking other strings while playing

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
nmarti31

Always accidentally plucking other strings while playing

Post by nmarti31 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:02 am

Hi there,

So, I've been having this problem when I'm playing where I'll strike the string I want, but if I play too loudly or too strong, the nail will also get the string behind it, making for a terrible noise. Any way to fix this?

ronjazz

Re: Always accidentally plucking other strings while playing

Post by ronjazz » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:54 pm

Yes. Use the string behind it as a backstop; in other words, apoyando, or rest-stroke. To avoid the string behind it, move your hand down towards the floor slightly, to play tirando, or free-stroke, avoiding the other string. These are the two basic strokes; look on youtube for free lessons from Guitar Corner or Strings By Mail.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Crofty

Post by Crofty » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:10 pm

nmarti31 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:02 am
Hi there,

So, I've been having this problem when I'm playing where I'll strike the string I want, but if I play too loudly or too strong, the nail will also get the string behind it, making for a terrible noise. Any way to fix this?
There are far too many variables involved with a problem like this for any answer to be helpful, unless you provide a video which shows how you sit, hold the guitar, hand position and then very many other things.

\if you are able to upload something I'm sure you would get some more helpful feedback than so far.

Paul

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:09 pm

It happens.

Spend some time focussing on right-hand technique. Pumping Nylon has a shedload of stuff you'll find useful

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:01 pm

Crofty wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:10 pm

\if you are able to upload something I'm sure you would get some more helpful feedback than so far.

Paul
Was going to say essentially the same thing...plus, get some lessons if you possibly can!
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:15 am

nmarti31 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:02 am
...I've been having this problem when I'm playing where I'll strike the string I want, but if I play too loudly or too strong, the nail will also get the string behind it, making for a terrible noise. Any way to fix this?
1) First, check that your right hand is positioned correctly and that your fingers are working efficiently and without excessive tension. Get a teacher's help with that.

2) In the moments when your fingers are accidentally plucking other strings - slow down! Slow down enough that you can be aware of even the smallest details of your right hand fingers' sense of touch and movement. Coach your fingers to give you the sound and accuracy you want.

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:21 pm

Practice ?

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:18 pm

Slow purposeful rest strokes.

You don't need a teacher. Both strokes are very basic techniques that anyone can master quickly.

Free stroke -

Rest stroke -

Good luck. :bye:
Let there be songs to fill the air.

Pjer

Post by Pjer » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:33 pm

You need to practice more🙂, I am just kidding. That is pretty normal if you just start to play guitar whit these technics. You have my support and these video links are very useful.
Dominique Delarue 1998 cedar, Andreas Kirmse 2016 cedar, John Price 2006 cedar, Achim Peters Gropius 2017 spruce, Zoran Kuvac 2017 cedar

Marko1976

Post by Marko1976 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:15 pm

You must use preparation for every note you pluck so with that preparation you cannot miss a string or hit another one.

So don't pluck from "air", instead place the finger on the string first, then play. In Pumping Nylon it is called "planting". But don't use it only for acordic playing, use it every time, also when playing Bach: every time the note, which you want to play, is NOT on the same string that is already vibrating, you can/must place/prepare a finger on next string/note.

Sory for poor english and I must say - it is hard to explain, but I have improved my technique for amazing amount with use of this technique.

You must separate hands. People sometimes practice only with left hand and are very careful with left hand fingerings, but they don't make half of that work with right hand. Make a fingering for right hand, practice it on empty strings with preparations mentioned above.

Sounds like a horror practice, and indeed it is, but I find it very helpful.

Of course - years later when you will master that technique, you will/must again play "from air" and "freely" in order not to kill artist inside you - but this time you will never miss anything...

keithwwk

Post by keithwwk » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:03 am

I find Noad's Book 1 single string daily pratice is very useful. You can see Bream demo on that in youtube “Julian Bream discuss about playing guitar in a wrong way”. starting 1:03s .He is playing on the 2nd string, you can play it on 1st and 3rd string and bass string as well.

I also find Giuliani Guitar Study Left hand study very useful to train cross string control for both hands. I know the title subject for left hand training, but somehow I get my right hand cross string improvement as well. It could be due to both hand got better coordination after practice.
Antonio Picado Model 60 Spruce 2017
Esteve Mod 1.4ST Spruce 2003
Ryoji Matsuoka M20 Cedar 1978
M.Sakurai No.5 Cedar 1976
Yamaha G225

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”