Always accidentally plucking other strings while playing

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
keithwwk

Re: Always accidentally plucking other strings while playing

Post by keithwwk » Wed May 15, 2019 7:24 am

Yisrael van Handel wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:07 am

So what? I got some useful reminders here, such as the importance of planting and of using stop-motion playing to see why you are inadvertently sounding adjacent strings. Nothing that I did not know, but very useful to be reminded to use these techniques when something goes wrong. The forum is not only for the OP. This is not a rebuke, but expression of gratitude and encouragement for the helpful discussion.
+1
Antonio Picado Model 60 Spruce 2017
Esteve Mod 1.4ST Spruce 2003
Ryoji Matsuoka M20 Cedar 1978
M.Sakurai No.5 Cedar 1976
Yamaha G225

Crofty

Post by Crofty » Wed May 15, 2019 10:15 am

Good point Yisrael [which I realised for myself after I posted].

I guess my main irritation is with the number of posters here who ask for advice, receive copious amounts, and yet never offer any thanks or, mre importantly, feedback as to whether it has been helpful or not.

Clearly this is a small minority but it still jars a bit - and I'm not the first to observe it of course.

Paul

msa3psu

Post by msa3psu » Wed May 15, 2019 11:53 am

I agree that it is not possible to pinpoint specific issue without seeing the OP play so all we can do is throw out generic tips. Here's another that hasn't been mentioned yet. Check the motion of the whole hand. It should be steady while playing in the same position over the strings and move only slightly as needed for string crossings and move in a planned and practiced way for other positioning. Sometimes we develop a little hand movement to 'help' the fingers along when not needed. That extra degree of freedom can cause a lose of accuracy.

samards

Post by samards » Wed May 29, 2019 8:17 am

I have that problem as well, when playing tirando. Light touch to adjacent string provides annoying buzz.

Also I have a problem that lifting left hand fingers from strings sometimes produce the noisy sound...

So I thing that my angle of right hand in relation to the strings is somewhat wrong, should be more perpendicular to the strings, it gets better when I try to do that.
Ernest Koroskenyi, 1974

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”