Do you know these sound producing devices?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Leitmotiv

Do you know these sound producing devices?

Post by Leitmotiv » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:05 pm

Or have you any odd ways of making guitar notes? I have three I use, which may be untried by those who play this most enigmatic of all instruments.
(1) I don't use pull offs; but push offs (finger pushes up, instead of pulling down).
(2) I make notes without the right hand by hammering on when the string next to the target string is vibrating.
(3) I play through the thumb of the right hand (inhabit the thumb!) with all three fingers i m a playing through this first and
biggest digit.

Leitmotiv
"...the wonderful ease of masters" - Albert Camus

Derek Hasted

Re: Do you know these sound producing devices?

Post by Derek Hasted » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:37 pm

The problem with a push-off is that the muscle group you are using is less powerful and less easy to control than a conventional pull-off. There are times when a pull-off is very awkward (for example in Sor's Variations on a Theme of Mozart, where you are pulling off the second string but still leaving the first string vibrating), but my feeling is that for speed and power, a pull-off will still work more effectively, and the direction of the pull-off is easy to aim so that the higher string is missed. I'm not sure I could aim a push-off as accurately.

Hammering a non-vibrating string is not that uncommon - I can think of a few pieces where it's marked to do so. You're right - we need a massive toolbox of techniques we can draw on.

I find what's much more of a problem is stopping the strings I've plucked, or indeed those that join in with sympathetic vibration :-)
Nothing in this life is impossible except skiing through revolving doors

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”