Another ? about Dyens Lettre#6

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
tejjy

Another ? about Dyens Lettre#6

Post by tejjy » Sat May 11, 2019 2:22 am

In bar 24 there's an A in the bass followed by a G (part of a stepwise descent, one day someone'll think of a new idea) - OTOH, Dyens is gungho in the playing notes about stopping notes OTOH he is promiscuous in his use of squelch marks throughout this piece.

So should I assume this is deliberately not silenced? It sounds bloody horrible. Or is it just another example of failed notation for my eventual book?

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Re: Another ? about Dyens Lettre#6

Post by Steve Ganz » Sat May 11, 2019 3:12 am

What is the full title of that lettre?
Steve

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Sat May 11, 2019 4:22 am

OK. Lettre Milongue....
The low A in that measure is held for the full value of an 8th note. IF you don't like the way it sounds, touch it when playing the G
Steve

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sat May 11, 2019 7:31 am

tejjy wrote:So should I assume this is deliberately not silenced?
Why would you assume that? Just use whatever is your preferred technique for playing precisely articulated descending scales.
tejjy wrote:... is it just another example of failed notation for my eventual book?
No.

If we marked the cessation of every note the score would be a mess. Look at measure 2 - do we need to be told that the bass D should end on execution of the A? Similarly the low B in m.3, E in m.4 etc., etc. Of course not - notes with melodic function have a beginning and an end which we naturally control as part of our basic technique without the need for further instruction.

A reminder about open Es and As is possibly justified for those without ears - I'd ditch them personally

Dyens is inconsistent however, and does overload the score in some cases, e.g. Measure 22 where the A is marked as stopped (there is already a perfectly clear rest indication) yet the E is not.

tejjy

Post by tejjy » Sat May 11, 2019 8:58 pm

Well, if you'd lead with "Dyens is inconsistent" I could have saved myself some time :-) But thanks for that; I didn't think the bar 24 situation was analagous with the early measures, but perhaps it it is.

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Sat May 11, 2019 11:40 pm

I think that Dyens' penchant for specifying what he wants the player to do is pleasantly challenging. I don't think that I've ever heard a player sound like Dyens sounded. The instructions are thought provoking though. They give nice hints about what was in his ear when he notated the pieces. I can't think of anyone who is consistent all the time. I recently heard a great player interpret Lettre a Julia Florida. The player was a past GFA winner. The interpretation departed in many respects from Dyen's instructions. Some things are important, others not so much, and all are subject to the player's interpretations.
Steve

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”