Carcassi - Study in G major

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
andrew382

Carcassi - Study in G major

Post by andrew382 » Sun May 12, 2019 7:19 am

I've been doing some recap of songs I've used to study a while ago and tried to concentrate on improving my left hand finger independence. I've stumbled upon a study by Carcassi which can be found in Thorlaksson's Guitar Method 1 at page 10 https://classical-guitar-school.com/en/Files/1038.pdf.

I think the chord that is causing me problem is by the 10th measure where B is in the bass and D in the higher voice, G being the pedal note. I've noticed that when 2nd and 4th finger have to play the 3rd being free tends to pop out and of course 3rd and 4th being the least independent pair this tenses the 4th finger making it unstable and sometimes touching the free G string which has to ring. How can I fix that?

Bernhard Heimann

Re: Carcassi - Study in G major

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Sun May 12, 2019 8:02 am

It's hard to tell what's going wrong without seeing your left hand. Probably your left hand position needs
correction. You could post a photo or video (of course taken by someone else).

Bernhard

andrew382

Re: Carcassi - Study in G major

Post by andrew382 » Sun May 12, 2019 6:30 pm

Bernhard Heimann wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:02 am
It's hard to tell what's going wrong without seeing your left hand. Probably your left hand position needs
correction. You could post a photo or video (of course taken by someone else).

Bernhard
It got better today but I still have to pay attention to fingers 3 and 4. As soon as I don't concentrate they tense. I think I found the porblem. I practiced that passage 50 times at 20% of the target speed and I became aware of tension in the fretting hand's thumb which squeezes the neck and also more important the shoulder that drags the whole structure towards the fretboard (so it's not like a chicken wing but somehow like a police officer signaling the cars to come towards him). If I relax and control that the technique becomes perfect and the tension disappears.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”