Sor, and loving it

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
sv_07

Re: Sor, and loving it

Post by sv_07 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:22 pm

Yes, Sor is wonderful.
I am planning to buy Sor's studies. I have found two different books:
1. F. Sor, Complete Studies for Guitar (F. Tarrega) 2001, 192 pp. publisher Chanterelle
2. Mel Bay Sor Complete Studies for Guitar, 1994, 160 pp.
Which one would you recommend for an intermediate player?
Thank you
Steve

Evelyn

Post by Evelyn » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:52 pm

Hi Steve,

I am not familiar with the "Chantrelle" edition. I have the Mel Bay book of Sor Studies and it is one of my favorites. As well as having a lifetime of wonderful studies, it is beautifully laid out. The publishers have left occassional pages blank on purpose so that most (all?) of the studies are without a page turn. The musical font is nice to read; not too "squished-together" or too large. I enjoy this book and recommend it.

I just remembered something! When I first bought this book on my teacher's recommendation, he told me that if he were to find himself on a deserted island, this is the one book he would choose to take along...

Hope this helps!

Evelyn

sv_07

Post by sv_07 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:02 pm

Thanks.
I have just ordered it.
May I feel a member of Sor's Fan Club? I'm already a member of Giuliani's Fan Club.
Steve

Cuyler

Post by Cuyler » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:51 pm

I have the Chanterelle urtext edition. I chose it because it has some additional commentary (such as a suggested grading of the exercises). That's nice and all, but I believe the Mel Bay Complete Sor Studies for Guitar has a spiral binding that allows the music to lie flat. There are also a couple of Tecla collections of Sor's studies. I think the music itself is pretty much the same no matter who publishes it.

I'm memorized the first 4 etudes of opus 35. I love them and practice them every day. I think I could be happy just sticking with learning these 121 Sor studies.

Do you have a favorite Sor piece that is not included in his studies? There are so many Sor scores, it would take a lifetime to go through them all.

inimeany

Post by inimeany » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:57 pm

I used a Sor composition for a real song: I made lyrics and sang it to the lead melody. I know it is not what this site is about but still I am curious what you classical guitarplayers think about it. I recorded the song with two electric guitars, an electric bass-guitar and vocals on our home-studio and put it on our website. You can listen to it and download it if you want. I called it "Love is.... a hug a day" And you can find it on our site at Myspace. Look for Riverside Lane. Myspace/RiversideLane11
Let me know what you think about it! Ine.

PM

Post by PM » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:04 am

I just discovered Opus 44 No 3 sometimes called Waltz of the Robins. Such a lovely little piece!
Is there no end to the delight of Fernando?

Bailey

Post by Bailey » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:07 am

As a beginner; and having just completed the first of the Hal Leonard books, the first classical piece that my teacher gave me was Sor; Opus 35 / #1. In a very short time, it's become a perennial favorite..............although Sor's Op 60 / #6 is rapidly gaining ground on it now.

Bailey

PM

Post by PM » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:47 pm

I am currently working on Opus 45 No.5

Not too difficult but challenging.

http://www.*** Site blocked for copyright reasons ***.com/pdf/Opus%2045% ... %20Sor.pdf

Bailey

Post by Bailey » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:14 am

My latest Sor favorite is Op 35, #22. The first piece that I've ever liked well enough to play every day.

Bailey

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:00 pm

Tecla also do the complete Sor studies:

http://www.tecla.com/

Complete with the original Sor fingerings and some of his comments. Pity the hardback version is out of stock at the moment.
I'm learning Op.35 No.9 - not difficult but has a lovely music box lilt to it, especially when it's played on a Terz guitar or capo at 3rd fret.

Rob mackillop's dedicated Sor website should be of interest:

http://www.sorstudies.co.uk/
Historicalguitars.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:12 am

Great topic title BTW...
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

PM

Post by PM » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:37 am

What a genius he was!

dng

Post by dng » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:23 am

how about op.6 no. 11..?

I think it deserves a better name than "study"
"Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar, save perhaps two.”
-Frederic Chopin

Kennethmarkhoover

Post by Kennethmarkhoover » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:31 pm

PM wrote:Opus 60 No. 6 and Opus 60 No. 10 are pretty easy and fun to play. These are two of the many that I practice sight reading with. Just delightful little tunes that make me happy.
Same here, I love them! I am only a beginner, but it's a great treat for me to play a song created by this magnificent artist. :D

rever

Post by rever » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:02 am

David Grimes published a graduated large volume of Sor pieces that is the best I have ever seen. A superb learning tool.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”