Steve Howe. Mood for a day or The ancient ??

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Re: Steve Howe. Mood for a day or The ancient ??

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:58 pm

ronjazz wrote:Mostly this forum is about classical guitar. Not always, I see.
You've taken a very odd position on this - I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at ...
Rick Beauregard wrote:It was Steve Howe's Mood that first introduced me to classical/flamenco style guitar.
... how is the above not about classical guitar?

And this ...
ronjazz wrote:2nd-grade stuff, for the most part. Waste of time.
... even if it is 2nd grade stuff (questionable) surely it can't be a waste of time for those working through that grade in order to progress to the next?

I'll grant you that SH is not a very good nylon-string practitioner by any stretch but his pieces are fun to play, and they certainly go down well with the audience (in my experience).

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:29 pm

Talking to a pal yesterday about exactly this Lazarus thread:
We both agreed that when we were teenagers, listening to "Mood for a Day" was an unexpected and apparently virtuosic interlude between the typical Yes tracks on Fragile, and opened our ears to what could be done with some wood and nylon. Fantastic stuff.

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:30 pm

Well, I started classical guitar studies before Howe wrote and recorded his little pieces, so I was not as easily impressed. Sorry, Villa-Lobos has nothing to fear. Listening to "Mood For A Day" showed me how easily impressed rock fans were.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:40 pm

UKsteve wrote: listening to "Mood for a Day" was an unexpected and apparently virtuosic interlude between the typical Yes tracks on Fragile, and opened our ears to what could be done with some wood and nylon. Fantastic stuff.
ronjazz wrote:Well, I started classical guitar studies before Howe wrote and recorded his little pieces, so I was not as easily impressed. Sorry, Villa-Lobos has nothing to fear. Listening to "Mood For A Day" showed me how easily impressed rock fans were.
Ha ha. Wow - you're a harsh critic ronjazz.

Still, I don't suppose SH is worried. As for me (not that anyone asked)? Well - I play everything Villa-Lobos wrote for the guitar and more, but I'll still slip "Mood for a Day" or "Clap" into my programme when the occasion suits (I play them better than SH so who knows - even someone with your high quality threshold might enjoy them).

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:59 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
UKsteve wrote: listening to "Mood for a Day" was an unexpected and apparently virtuosic interlude between the typical Yes tracks on Fragile, and opened our ears to what could be done with some wood and nylon. Fantastic stuff.
ronjazz wrote:Well, I started classical guitar studies before Howe wrote and recorded his little pieces, so I was not as easily impressed. Sorry, Villa-Lobos has nothing to fear. Listening to "Mood For A Day" showed me how easily impressed rock fans were.
Ha ha. Wow - you're a harsh critic ronjazz.

Still, I don't suppose SH is worried. As for me (not that anyone asked)? Well - I play everything Villa-Lobos wrote for the guitar and more, but I'll still slip "Mood for a Day" or "Clap" into my programme when the occasion suits (I play them better than SH so who knows - even someone with your high quality threshold might enjoy them).
And fortunate too ronjazz. I suspect many of us were more influenced at a young age by pop and what was cool at the time among our peers. Quality wasn't a big factor. Radio play time was more important in what we listened to. And Villa Lobos didn't get much playing time in New Hampshire. It just wasn't cool. Seems to me, however one came to this music and this site is valid. It's interesting to hear how many others were influenced by SH.

By the way, you should listen to some Yes sometime.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:54 am

Steve Howe was never a technical master of the guitar, but he wrote some catchy tunes and was always on some sort of "cutting edge" among the mainstream guitarists. I think some of his stuff is very melodic and memorable. Things don't need to be technically advanced to make an impression and be good music.

Some of these reply's are why I never liked to hang around too many musicians/guitarists. There is always "that guy" around who just believes that if it doesn't suit his tastes or what he/she is listening to at that time, then it's garbage.

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

2handband

Post by 2handband » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:02 pm

Look, ronjazz... no these are not examples of brilliant composition. But honestly I'll take em over a lot of carulli's etudes and really that's not even the point. They were intended as lightweight interludes on the yes albums. Black Sabbath used to do the same thing back then; something fluffy and acoustic to make the heavy number that followed seem even heavier. And it gets the people listening to it interested in expanding their horizons.

Look at Taylor swift. I can't stand her but she has done more for guitar instructors than anybody since EVH. Just when the internet is stealing all of the teenage boys that used to be the backbone of our business, suddenly our studios have been flooded with 12 year old girls wielding acoustic guitars... and these girls tend to be much more open to expanding their horizons than the boys are.

GJW

Post by GJW » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:05 pm

Philosopherguy wrote:Steve Howe was never a technical master of the guitar, but he wrote some catchy tunes and was always on some sort of "cutting edge" among the mainstream guitarists. I think some of his stuff is very melodic and memorable. Things don't need to be technically advanced to make an impression and be good music.

Some of these reply's are why I never liked to hang around too many musicians/guitarists. There is always "that guy" around who just believes that if it doesn't suit his tastes or what he/she is listening to at that time, then it's garbage.

Martin
Perfectly put sir, SH was always in the top ten guitarists in Melody Maker in the early 70's...
Yamaha CG120, Takamine EC132SC, Perl Gold lute style classical
2 x Westone electrics
2 x Fender F series 6 string (steel), Fender F series 12 string
Yamaha Bass
2 x Sitar (from India/Pakistan)
Kokle (from Latvia), Geierleyer (from Germany) and a Ukulele

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:40 pm

Philosopherguy wrote:Things don't need to be technically advanced to make an impression and be good music.
What a concept! ;)

And, I agree.

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:11 pm

"Mood For A Day" has little to do with Yes, which is a band I enjoyed, by the way.

I don't play Carulli, but Aguado, Sor and Giuliani wrote very good music.

I have played through "Mood For A Day", and found it completely uninspiring and pedestrian. My audiences deserve better.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Portland Bill

Post by Portland Bill » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:55 am

ronjazz wrote:Mostly this forum is about classical guitar. Not always, I see.
How is it not classical guitar, he plays it on one, does it only qualify if the music is composed by a "Classical" composer ?
I wouldn't agree that its second rate, its way below that but it doesn't stop it from being an absolutely cracking piece along with compositions like Classical Gas that for many, myself included was one of the stepping stones in to the world of the truly great composers we all know and love today, I'm forever thankful to the likes of Steve Howe, Jan Akkerman and Mason Williams.

Portland Bill

Post by Portland Bill » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:05 pm

Can't find Villa Lobos I'm afraid. https://www.discogs.com/lists/The-50-Gr ... osers/1571

GJW

Post by GJW » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:12 pm

I wouldn't waste your time on it Bill, wish I'd never mentioned it.... :roll:
Yamaha CG120, Takamine EC132SC, Perl Gold lute style classical
2 x Westone electrics
2 x Fender F series 6 string (steel), Fender F series 12 string
Yamaha Bass
2 x Sitar (from India/Pakistan)
Kokle (from Latvia), Geierleyer (from Germany) and a Ukulele

Petemayo

Post by Petemayo » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:25 pm

Don't forget "Surface Tension". One of my favorites

Petemayo

Post by Petemayo » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:26 am

BTW: I can play Mood For A Day but it is sloppy. At least it seems ot me. And it seems to me I play many things sloppy no matter how much I practice. I have concluded that I simply lack talent. So be it. I still enjoy playing so much.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”