Juan Serrano - Mel Bay's Book

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
alien

Juan Serrano - Mel Bay's Book

Post by alien » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:31 pm

Hello, I got my hands on a copy of Juan Serrano's - Flamenco Guitar Basic Techniques (Mel Bay's Book).

Somehow my trouble start with Exercise 1 first cord. The fingering says that I should use my left hand index finger (1) twice - to sound an A. the fingering is indicated as: 0-2-1-1-0 does anybody know if this is correct?

kind regards and thanks in advance,
alien

GuitarVlog

Re: Juan Serrano - Mel Bay's Book

Post by GuitarVlog » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:11 am

Questions relating to flamenco are best asked on foroflamenco.com. Some of us are from there but most are not. I think I can answer your question however (assuming I understood it correctly).

The above image shows one common fingering: Index on 4th, middle on 3rd, ring on 2nd.

I do not have the Serrano book but I think the fingering that was specified is the same as that which I use in my alegrias:
  • The index finger holds down the 4th and 3rd string string. The first joint of the finger lies flat on the fretboard albeit I position it at a slight angle.
  • The middle finger holds down the 2nd string.
  • The ring finger is not used for the chord but is free for applications on the 1st string.

alien

Post by alien » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:37 am

Hello GuitarVlog, thanks for your answer. I will check out the link you mentioned. the fingering you use for your alegrias sounds like it's the same one Serrano is proposing for his rasgueado exercise. I will work on that :D
kind regards,
alien

puntific

Post by puntific » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:38 am

I can confirm GuitarVlog's answer as correct.

puntific

Sean

Post by Sean » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:23 pm

Does this book have the pinky pumping exercise that Kanengiser did in his impersonation of Serrano? :lol:

bobtone

Post by bobtone » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:49 pm

Sean wrote:Does this book have the pinky pumping exercise that Kanengiser did in his impersonation of Serrano? :lol:
What is this?

Sean

Post by Sean » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:10 am

Bill Kanengiser has three DVDs out; Classical Guitar Mastery, Effortless Classical Guitar, and the Concert DVD. On the Concert DVD, there is footage from the GFA Convention of 2005 in Oberlin, Ohio, where Kanengiser actually did a stand-up routine of sorts by impersonating numerous guitarists, including Pepe Romero, Juan Serrano, Odair Assad, David Russell, Dusan Bogdanovic, and Julian Bream (among many others). When he gets to Serrano, he does this pinky pumping thing while imitating the gruff voice of Serrano ("This is why we flamenco players have stronger fingers!"). This routine is worth the price of the video.

GuitarVlog

Post by GuitarVlog » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:24 am

Sean wrote:On the Concert DVD, there is footage from the GFA Convention of 2005 in Oberlin, Ohio, where Kanengiser actually did a stand-up routine of sorts by impersonating numerous guitarists, ...
I had seen a portion of that routine where he did Pepe Romero. Didn't know it was in the Concert DVD.

Now I'll need to go buy it. :P

GuitarVlog

Post by GuitarVlog » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:27 am

Found it! This is an excerpt and it's from Kanengiser's official YouTube channel.

[media]https://youtu.be/PKKCr6Hi4gQ[/media]

bobtone

Post by bobtone » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:54 am

I simply cannot resist a post.

This is hilarious, because on many of the impersonations I either attended a master class or participated in a master class.

Julian Bream, 1981, master class at San Francisco Conservatory of Music, commenting on a 20th century composer on his album, 20th Century Guitar:

"Rubbish. Rubbish. I wish he would have written it for someone else."

Pepe Romero, 1991, Master Class when I played Villa Lobos:

"When you try to play too loud, you are pulling her hair. La guitarra is a beautiful woman, concentrate on her beauty and her spirituality."

Juan Serrano, 1989, CSU Fresno while he just changed strings and gave them a test run while machine-gunning scales. He broke a string:

(with a thick accent) "This is good, this is very very good."

Sean

Post by Sean » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:33 pm

I wonder which piece Bream was referring to . . .

alien

Post by alien » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:51 pm

puntific wrote:I can confirm GuitarVlog's answer as correct.

puntific
...thanks! I will continue working on it.
kind regards,
alien

Lorette

Post by Lorette » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:06 am

GuitarVlog is correct. Here is a photo to demonstrate the A chord. Notice the index finger straddles both the E (forth string) and the A (third string), but lift it slightly to free the open E (first string). Middle finger presses the C# (second string).

This fingering of the A chord makes it easier and faster to go to the E7, a common flamenco chord progression. I hope this helps you. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FrankBlack

Post by FrankBlack » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:01 pm

I just stumbled on the video of Kanengiser at Oberlin in 2005 and was blown away. A quick search showed it was already mentioned here, so I didn't want to create a new post (and I am not trying to hijack this post, just adding to what was already said here). Suffice it to say that I am impressed by anyone who can find anything amusing about the classical guitar establishment. The man is hilarious.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:44 pm

First - this is a much better way of playing an A Major chord - play C# with 2 and bar the third and fourth strings for A and E while leaving the first string open. The traditional way entails squeezing three fingers into the same fret which is cumbersome.

But with respect to flamenco the main reason for the bar configuration is that several palos in flamenco are played in A Phrygian. This includes Siguiriyas, Tientos, sometimes Bulerias, and sometimes Sevillanas, and even Soleares - old style. Sometimes this entails playing an A Major chord and slurring to B Flat with 3. With the traditional fingering you cannot slur to B Flat, hence the bar.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”