The third, the sixth, the third, the sixth

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
cconsaul

The third, the sixth, the third, the sixth

Post by cconsaul » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:14 pm

If you transpose any two tones (commonly known as an interval) you get the transverse of the original sound. Fourths become fifths, seconds become sevenths, and roots become octaves. The most useful of these however are the thirds that become the sixths (example, G 3/0 to b 2/0 becomes B 2/0 to G 1/3 <the first number being the string and the second being the fret that you depress to get the note>) This is a really handy way to add an easy harmony to any single note, although a little bit of practice is required. Sometimes the major third/sixth sounds better, and sometimes the minor third/sixth is preferrable. If the third sounds muddy as you go into the lower strings, switch over to the sixth. If you want a more open sound, the sixth is good for that. If you want a tight compact sound, go for the third. The third can usually be played between any two strings and the sixth usually requires that you play between three strings with the middle string dampened or silent. Something to play with if you haven't already.

anathem

Post by anathem » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:14 pm

good point/idea and a clear post :okok:

fabio

Post by fabio » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:21 am

I couldn't agree more.
I could add that playing thirds or sixths in separate,different octaves will also give a different feeling than playing both notes in the same octave range. For example, C 5/3 and Eb 2/4 instead of C 5/3 and Eb 4/1. I've seen it used a lot in baroque sheet music but I'm not sure it would be something like a composition technique from that era.

cconsaul

The third, the sixth, the tenth?

Post by cconsaul » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:27 am

Excellent way to expand the scope of this topic. Referring to the tenth as a third with an octave between it definately takes some of the mystery out of it, and makes it more palatable for the person who might otherwise be intimidated by the idea.

fabio

Post by fabio » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:21 am

Yes, once you realize that it is just like a third but an octave lower, the name "tenth" loses its myst and it's all fun. :P
Some players really get scared indeed when you talk about chords with 9ths, 11ths, 13ths. It's just like being afraid of playing past the 12th fret on the neck. Once you get used to the idea that the neck just starts repeating over from that fret, you start to get more comfortable.

:arrow: I'm not saying I'm 100% not afraid of 11ths, 13ths and their harmonic consequences anyway. :P But we're talking about intervals and not chords after all.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”