I am looking for good guitar books for me, please help!

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
fengson green

I am looking for good guitar books for me, please help!

Post by fengson green » Mon May 11, 2015 7:47 am

Hello everyone,

I am so sorry for my english is poor.

I have been play guitar for 8 years, just play some rock and acoustic stuff, but 2 years ago, I just learned classical guitar, and now I am wondering going to study in collage.

But I am so late to meet classical guitar, my sign reading is suck and slow, I study suzuki with my teacher, but I don't know what chord I was playing, and why the composer write the melody with the specific harmony, I also wanna know classical guitar artist and knowledge.

So I want some books can improve my sign reading.
Some books can teach me music theory with guitar song so that I can analyze songs.
Some books can teach me about music training to prepare study music in collage.
Some books can teach classical guitar artist and knowledge.

Do anyone can suggest me any systematization books?
Or recommed any guitar books do help and good to use?

thanks !

harmox

Re: I am looking for good guitar books for me, please help!

Post by harmox » Mon May 11, 2015 8:01 am

Theory: J. Duarte - Melody and Harmony for guitarists
Training: R. Provost - Art & Technique of practice

For sight-reading - I'd recommend to get graded antology and just play through it everyday. Actually, to improve sight-reading you just need to sight-read everything, so there's not much advice, get any sheet music and sight-read it.

fengson green

Post by fengson green » Mon May 11, 2015 8:29 am

thanks! any systematization books teach good technique and good method to pratice scales, arpeggios and theory also left and right hand touching? thanks!!!!

fengson green

Post by fengson green » Mon May 11, 2015 9:36 am

thanks harmox, I just order the books you recommed me :)

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Mon May 11, 2015 12:44 pm

I quite like Scott Tennant's "Pumping Nylon". It's a good collection of technical and practical advice for guitar players at all levels.
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce 640
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired) 650
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

Robin

Post by Robin » Mon May 11, 2015 1:27 pm

Dear Fengson,

If you have become serious enough about classical guitar to make plans to study guitar in college, then I would recommend finding a teacher to guide your preparation. If there are no classical guitar teachers in your location, there are good teachers offering online or skype lessons.
Another thing to keep in mind is that music school will help you to become a well rounded musician. Look at the requirements for the schools you are planning to apply to see what their requirements are. There is often a keyboard requirement. Your theory skills should not just be applied to guitar but to general music theory. You will have to be able to read music scores. Plus there is ear training...
If you need to start at the beginning with music theory and ear training, I would highly recommend the "Sound Advice" series of workbooks by Braaten/Wiksyk. They'll give you a foundation to build on.

Best,
Robin
So much music, so little time.

Mark Featherstone

Post by Mark Featherstone » Tue May 12, 2015 12:21 am

Aaron Schearer's method books have been been highly recommended on this forum: Classic Guitar Technique, Volumes I & II. I have been using them for the past year and some. For music theory for guitarists, I have found the following book to be useful: Music Theory by Tom Kolb, published under the Hal Leonard Guitar Method series.

Mark
Francisco Navarro Concert Classical, cedar top, 630 mm scale, 50 mm nut

"The trouble with normal is it always gets worse."
Bruce Cockburn

fengson green

Post by fengson green » Tue May 12, 2015 5:11 am

thanks a lot!!
I got the Pumping Nylon now, and ordering the Music Theory by Tom Kolb.
But I can not order "Sound Advice" series and any R. Provost's books......

I live in asia, Taiwan......

kdwiklund

Post by kdwiklund » Tue May 12, 2015 12:55 pm

The Shearer books. And get a good teacher.
David Pace 2019 - Spruce double-top/African Blackwood

simonm

Post by simonm » Tue May 12, 2015 2:46 pm

If you are looking for music theory in English, have a look at this list: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45870&start=15#p495282

If you read the whole thread there is a lot of interesting discussion. I started the thread years ago when I was looking for theory books.

fengson green

Post by fengson green » Wed May 13, 2015 4:46 am

Learning Music through the Guitar' by John Gavall is hard to find, I can not get any paperbook or pdf info on internet......

but thanks! help a lot!

KevinCollins

Post by KevinCollins » Tue May 19, 2015 12:22 am

Find a teacher who you want to study with. This is a great tradition in classical music, the relationship between the teacher and the student. It is a lifelong relationship. The reason I went to my college was to study with my teacher.

If you are not ready this year, then take a year to study privately. If your current teacher is unable to prepare you for your college audition, then consider going to a college with a good teacher and taking academics and some music classes and a guitar lesson, with the plan to transfer to a conservatory. At the conservatory, your main work will be on your instrument, so take your academic requirements in summer school or someplace inexpensive.

And if you are not accepted this year, listen to the advice they give you at your audition, do what they say, and audition again next year. They will be interested to see if you did the work and if you understood the importance of what they tell you.

Good luck and best wishes,

Kevin
---
Kevin Collins, Amherst, Mass, USA All rights reserved.

fengson green

Post by fengson green » Thu May 28, 2015 12:06 pm

thanks for helping! I have a guitar teacher only......

kmurdick

Post by kmurdick » Thu May 28, 2015 6:20 pm

What Kevin said.

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Thu May 28, 2015 7:16 pm

For a true beginner in classical guitar books/manuals I prefer Shearer's Classical Guitar Technique over Tennant's Pumping Nylon only because Shearers is more elementary to start at a 1st grade level and Tennant book is more closer to a second grade level. It takes for granted that the student already have some knowledge in playing classical guitar. If you find a teacher make sure that he/she is a classical guitar teacher not an
advertised teacher of "all style of guitar" Why ? Classical Guitar teachers know how to sight read music. At least in my area of SF-East Bay quite a few of advertised "all types of guitar" teachers cannot read music and relay on Tabs to instruct new students.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”