2019-01-04 Special Event for John Holmquist - Minneapolis (MN)

Kent

2019-01-04 Special Event for John Holmquist - Minneapolis (MN)

Post by Kent » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:10 pm

Here is a special event for John Holmquist. He was my first guitar teacher, who set me on my journey with classical guitar.

On Friday, January 4th at 7 p.m.
at the MacPhail Center for Music’s Antonello Hall in Minneapolis, there will be a concert to honor John Holmquist’s distinguished career in music.
The event is free and open to the public.

The evening will include performances as well as spoken tributes by John’s students and friends, many distinguished in their own right, who are traveling from around the country to be here for this event to pay tribute to their teacher, mentor and friend who was earlier this year diagnosed with metastatic prostate cancer.

John, a Minneapolis native who studied with Jeffrey Van and graduated from the University of Minnesota, is one of the greatest American classical guitarists of his generation. In 1978, he won the most important classical guitar competition of that time, the Guitar 78 Festival in Toronto, Canada. He went on to head the guitar department at the Cleveland Institute of Music, where his students included Jason Vieaux, winner of the 1992 Guitar Foundation of America International Competition and a 2015 Grammy Award winner.

The concert will feature several new pieces written for the occasion.
Performers for the evening include
Jason Vieaux
Dan Estrem
Henry Johnston
Jeff LaQuatra
Tom Stoneman
James Bonney with Charlie Witthoef
Brian Roberts
Mary Lou Roberts/guitar ensemble

John has created a Facebook page to encourage donations to the Prostate Cancer Foundation:
https://www.facebook.com/donate/2169952316587021/

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Special Event for John Holmquist

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:27 pm

John is a wonderful fellow, and was a favourite player when he was active. Very sad that he's poorly.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

Dirck Nagy

Re: 2019-01-04 Special Event for John Holmquist - Minneapolis (MN)

Post by Dirck Nagy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:59 pm

A good time was had by all!

It was touching to see how many turned out to support John...a testament to his impact as a teacher, his talent, generosity, and just plain being a good person!

Kent

Re: 2019-01-04 Special Event for John Holmquist - Minneapolis (MN)

Post by Kent » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:34 pm

I am glad you made it to the concert Dirck!
There is nothing like a great teacher. It is the greatest substance for a fruitful humanity.

Return to “Archives - Classical Guitar Concerts”