at Overcash at Central Piedmont Community College. Donation: $20,
Students & Seniors: $15"

More info at charlotteguitarsociety.com

Hope to see you there!

--Jeff

david bye

Re: 2008-02-27 Thomas Viloteau, Charlotte, NC

Post by david bye » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:04 am

I saw Thomas in October at Monroe Community College her in Rochester. I highlY recommend him. Here is his program form the GFA website. Enjoy! :D
Thomas Viloteau
guitar
Winner, 2006 Guitar Foundation of America International Solo Competition

Rito de los Orishas

I. Exordium-conjuro
II. Dansa de las diosas negras

Leo Brouwer
(b. 1939)

Capriccio diabolico, Op. 85 M. Castelnuovo-Tedesco
(1895-1968)

Triaela

Light motif (Takemitsu au Brésil)
Black Horn (When Spain meets Jazz)
Clown down (Gismonti au cirque)

Roland Dyens
(b.1955)

Intermission

Cavatina.
I. Prelude
II. Sarabande
III.Scherzino
IV. Barcarole
Alexander Tansman
(1897-1986)

Sonata Op. 47

Exordio
Scherzo
Canto
Finale
Alberto Ginastera
(1916-1983)

jeff carter

Post by jeff carter » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:10 am

Thanks, David. That looks like an interesting program...I'm looking forward to seeing him!

--Jeff

Waddy Thomson
Luthier

Post by Waddy Thomson » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:52 pm

Jeff, thanks for getting this posted. George told me you were getting some stuff out there on promotions for the concert, and I was going to post it here, until I saw that you already had. I, too, am looking forward to hearing this concert.

A point of word usage on the Guitar Society website. The word "Donations" is not a voluntary term. It means Ticket Price: $20.00, Students $15.00. For what it's worth. Special packages are available for teachers and their students if they contact the Guitar Society directly at the phone number on the website.
Waddy

Link to Build Albums - See Profile

Waddy Thomson
Luthier

Post by Waddy Thomson » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:17 pm

Thomas Viloteau wowed an audience of about 100, last night in Charlotte. His performance was flawless, and his maturity in technique and interpretation of a very difficult program, belies his age. His program, was "Rito de los Orishas" by Leo Brouwer, "Capriccio Diabolico" by M Castelnuovo-Tedesco, "Triaela" by Roland Dyens, " Cavatina" by Alexander Tansman, "Sonata Op. 47" by Alberto Ginastera, and his encore was "Variations on a Theme of Sor" by Miguel Llobet (For details, see David's post above). He was rewarded by thunderous applause in the correct places, and a couple of standing ovations. I was personally blown away by his performance of the "Triaela", which I had never heard before. Probably showing my ignorance here, but the closing movement, "Clown Down" was just incredible.

All of this said, Thomas is a very easy and personable young man with a hearty attitude and a great sense of humor. I was fortunate enough to be the one who picked him up at his hotel to drive him to the concert, and also among a group who took him to dinner after the concert. He was a delight. A very comfortable person, even a bit self-deprecating, but participating in all conversations as though he had known us for a long time. One young college student, a lovely, French girl, and Thomas spoke often in French. The rest of us gave them a hard time, because we were clueless. Many laughs.

One of our local guitarists who was with us, asked if he could try Thomas' Smallman. What an instrument. It sings, even at a very light touch. It is, however, very tender on the face. There are several places where some kind of clear, plastic tape has been applied for minor damage, in addition to Flamenco Tap Plates on both sides of the strings in the playing area. One piece of tape where he tapped while playing, in a percussive stroke on one of his pieces, and it cracked, because it is so thin. There are also a couple of other minor cracks in the upper bout, but it sure does sound great. It was more mellow than I had expected. Somehow, from descriptions I have heard of the Australian lattice style guitars, I was expecting more of a hollow, but loud experience. This one sounded very nice, and was obviously very responsive.

What a great experience, meeting and listening to Thomas Viloteau! :bravo: :applauso:
Waddy

Link to Build Albums - See Profile

Cincy2

Post by Cincy2 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:17 pm

I also heard this very talented young man and his guitar in Sarasota Florida. My first live experience with a lattice top. Very impressed but it did look like it had come through a war with all the bandages. Very good projection and not banjo like as I expected.

Cincy
2015 Traphagen Brazilian/Spruce

A wood box, empty
A sensitive heart, too full
You and I connect.

altnaez

Post by altnaez » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:47 pm

Hi,
Just saw Viloteau's concert this past wednesday, march 5, in the music conservatory in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
It had been a long time since I had seen such a flawless performance. I think that having achieved that level of exellence at 22 years of age Is quite amazing. I also recomend averyone in the forum not to miss him if he's around your area.
Not many Smallman's make it to this little speck of dirt sandwiched between the Atlantic and the
Caribbean sea. Most of my opinion of them has been based on recordings and videos, and I was not too impressed by their sound. Last year I heard one live for the first time on Ben Verdery's concert and it sounded a little better to my ears, but still, I was not too impressed. Ben's guitar had all the bells and wistles, including the adjustable neck. Viloteau though, got a very nice sound out of his. It sounded so very balanced and with great definition. His guitar is a 2006.
Maybe Smallman and sons have managed to better their guitars sound over the past few years.
Cheers,
Albert

Return to “Archives - Classical Guitar Concerts”