2008-09-20 John Mills - Blackburn (England)

mordent

2008-09-20 John Mills - Blackburn (England)

Post by mordent » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:40 am

The English Master Guitarist John Mills is giving a concert here in N.W. England entitled "Tribute to Segovia". The venue is Great Harwood. (near Blackburn) Lancashire. The date is this Sat. 20.th. Sept.at 7.pm.
More information from Jack.Wilkinson. Tel: 01254 265919. The Concert is repeated on Sun. 21.Sept. at Lancaster.
Anyone who has heard John Mills play will know that a great treat is in store for those of us lucky enough to attend-I personally consider his sound to be the best I have ever heard apart from the "Old Man" in his heyday.He also usually plays a very long Programme in his concerts . Can't Wait ! ! :D
Chopin used to sleep with wooden wedges between his fingers to increase their span--now there's a thought !

Vesuvio

Re: 2008-09-20. John Mills.Blackburn. England.

Post by Vesuvio » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:29 am

Hello Mordent,

Yikes, I would have missed that! I will be on the telephone as soon as lines are open this morning,

Best wishes, V :) :merci:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Vesuvio

Re: 2008-09-20 John Mills - Blackburn (England)

Post by Vesuvio » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:45 pm

Hello Mike,

I am so grateful that you posted the above alert.

It was a truly wonderful concert and I have never seen anyone play the guitar with such affection, skill and sensitivity. His mastery of the instrument was sublime and it was an evening I'll never forget—it was the first time I have seen John Mills play but I hope it will not be the last.

It was also a great pleasure to meet you and Jack, the first Delcamp members I have ever met in person,

Best wishes, V :D :merci:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

mordent

Post by mordent » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:33 pm

A "Ghost in the Hall" might be an apt title to describe last nights Concert by the English Master Guitarist John Mills in the splendid ambience of the Ashton Memorial Hall in Lancashire N.W.England. The 'ghost' in this case being 'Segovia' - the unmistakable full palette of tone colour from Ponticello through varying shades of tone and shimmering harmonics to caressing velvet, the full dynamic range from a ghostly echoing whisper to crescendo - "A Tribute to Segovia" indeed and a night to remember for all of us priviliged to attend. At times the rapt capacity audience seemed to be but one organism with all emotion and life force emanating from that solitary figure on a small dais who played with our emotions and strung them out to dry. Scarcely glancing at his finger board, eyes closed in a rapture of Artistry. Oh! what a night - sublime is the only adjective I can think of.
Programme: All works as performed by Segovia some of which were written expressly for him such as the Tansman, The Turina, The Tonadilla, The Sonatina and the English Suite.

Two Preludes Heitor VILLA-LOBOS (1887- 1959)
Barcarola & Danza Pomposa Alexandre TANSMAN (1897 - 1986)
Five Baroque Transcriptions
Prelude J.KUHNAU (1660 - 1722)
Air G.F.HANDEL (1685 - 1759)
Sonata Domenico SCARLATTI (1685 - 1757)
Sarabande & Bourree J.S.BACH (1685 - 1750)
Two Catalan Piano Transcriptions.
Capricho Catalan Isaac ALBENIZ (1860 - 1909)
Danza Espanola Enrique Granados (1867 - 1916)
Three Spanish Pieces
Homenaje a Debussy Manuel de Falla (1876 - 1946)
Recuerdos de la Alhambra Francisco Tarrega (1852 - 1909)
Sevillana (fantasia) Joaquin Turina (1882 - 1949)
Largo in C Minor Fernando Sor (1778 - 1839)
Allegro Spiritoso Mauro Giuliani (1781 - 1829)
Tonadilla on the name of Andre Segovia M.Castelnuovo-Tedesco
English Suite Op 31 Prelude - Folk Song - Round Dance John Duarte (1919- 2004)
Estudio Sin Luz Andres Segovia (1893 - 1987)
Sonatina in A Allegretto- Andante - Allegro F.M.Torrobo (1891 - 1982)

Guitar: 1978 Ramirez - cedar top -borrowed from Forum member "Cidiento" as being typical of the type played by Segovia in his later years.
Chopin used to sleep with wooden wedges between his fingers to increase their span--now there's a thought !

Alison

Post by Alison » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:09 pm

I've only just joined this forum but I was there too. It would have been nice to meet two other members in person - if only I'd known!

I went with a friend, and we were absolutely blown away by John Mills. It amazed me that he barely looked at his fingers, and that for some of the pieces he was actually looking at the music! It's not as if they were easy pieces, either. I particularly enjoyed the Tansman pieces and the Duarte English Suite, which were both new to me. We were both very impressed.

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:54 pm

Hello Alison,

So, there were at least four forum members there! I am pleased you enjoyed it, but how could anyone with a love for the guitar have failed to enjoy it!
mordent wrote:...At times the rapt capacity audience seemed to be but one organism with all emotion and life force emanating from that solitary figure on a small dais who played with our emotions and strung them out to dry...
I think the above captures just how I felt. I have never heard the instrument handled like that before—and I was privileged to hear Segovia himself play many years ago, though he was quite elderly by then. John Mills' playing was transcendent,

Best wishes, V :D

jazz girl

Post by jazz girl » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:19 pm

I was gutted I missed this, my teacher has been telling me how good it was! I hope I will get another chance to see him perform.

cediendo

Post by cediendo » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:55 pm

I am delighted that those members of the forum who attended the John Mills concert either in Blackburn or Lancaster found John's playing inspirational. I have organised a number of concerts and workshops with both John and his wife Cobie over the past few years. In addition to his concerts both in the U.K and abroad John is also in great demand for his teaching skills. He is currently Head of guitar studies at The Royal College of Music and Drama in Cardiff. For the past 30yrs John and Cobie have also run a very successful Guitar Course at Burton Manor on the wirral. Book early if you wish to attend. I hope to organise more John Mills concerts next year. Watch this space.

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:34 pm

cediendo wrote:... I hope to organise more John Mills concerts next year. Watch this space.
Oh yes, please!

philparker

Post by philparker » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:57 pm

I'm attending a John Mills' Workshop this Saturday and really looking forward to it - although I now feel totally exposed about my own technique and my bad habits and mistakes that I have practised for the previous 25 years since I last had a teacher!!!

I've now talked myself into finding a teacher again this year, with an impossible task to put me back on track - technique & discipline, I have enough repertoire...hang on, John lives only 40 minutes drive from me...maybe I should enquire about private lessons?? :wink:

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:25 pm

philparker wrote:I'm attending a John Mills' Workshop this Saturday and really looking forward to it...
Bravo! It's going to be a wonderful experience. Would it be possible for you to report back on the forum?

philparker

Post by philparker » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:45 pm

Vesuvio wrote:Would it be possible for you to report back on the forum?
Hi, V, Yes, I certainly will report back - it is my first experience of this format and I am both excited and apprehensive.

Right, now back to practising my new set pieces :?

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:10 pm

cediendo wrote: John and Cobie have also run a very successful Guitar Course at Burton Manor on the Wirral. Book early if you wish to attend.
Very well worth going to, a fun weekend. It's also worth mentioning that John also currently runs the annual West Dean Summer School.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

philparker

Post by philparker » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:43 am

Well, I woke up this morning still thinking about yesterday's experience - a whole day of Wksp and masterclass with the venerable John Mills; what a fantastic guy, a superb master musician & sage!!!

The day consisted of ensemble playing; masterclass; mini-masterclass; technique; how to make best use of practise time; Q & A, lot's of!!!

One of the members played Sevilla, a very good and well rehearsed rendition, and John went through bits of each section to show how it could be improved - this included using fingerings from different arrangements, additional bass notes; sections to use crescendo, poco rit, p, mf or f; where to add colour and expression. It was fascinating - even picking out individual note for tonal attention and the technique to achieve and after demonstration and practise we hear could ear the difference and improvement.

The mini-master class saw 5 members perform abridged pieces and receive tips and techniques from posture to RH & LH positioning and even nail care & preparation. A few references to his own experiences of masterclasses with Segovia and his own collaborations with the likes of Bream & Williams. And yes, we did discuss The Story of the Guitar BBC program as well as the Julian Bream Program!!!

A fantastic day!!! John had to leave promptish at 5pm, but if he wasn't already attending a planned engagement we would have clung on to him with an insatiable appetite for his wise words, knowledge ans supreme teaching skills!!!

His engagement?? Oh, just a private concert with Julian Bream before retiring for an evening meal with a 'select few'!!! :casque:

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:48 am

Hello Phil,

Sounds like you had a wonderful day! Thank you for sharing it with us,

Best wishes, V :D :merci:

Return to “Archives - Classical Guitar Concerts”