Tarrega: Larghetto for guitar. Where can I find a score?

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Torrescaster

Tarrega: Larghetto for guitar. Where can I find a score?

Post by Torrescaster » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:26 am

Sorry if this is the inappropriate place for this question, wasn't sure where else to post it.

I own this CD "Virtuoso Guitar" by Rita Honti. . .great album, by the way. On it, she plays a piece labelled as "Larghetto" by Francisco Tarrega.

You can hear her performance here, uploaded onto youtube by the record label: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GSlK1uE0Ss

Anyway, this one seems like a nice easy "first" classical tremolo piece.

Anyone know where I can find a score for this? I've looked up and down, and I simply can't find a transcription for either "Larghetto" or "Larghetto for guitar" by Tarrega anywhere. Not in Tarrega collections, not online. Nowhere.

Its really to the point where I'm wondering if the piece is misnamed or even mis-attributed (or both).

Anyone know what this piece actually is, and or where I can find a copy?

If it really is a Tarrega piece it "should" be public domain, but I'm even willing to BUY a copy. :) Heck, I'll even accept a TAB transcription if that's all I can find. :twisted:

Any help is appreciated.

pankos

Re: Tarrega: Larghetto for guitar. Where can I find a score?

Post by pankos » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:56 am

There is no video. ;)

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:54 pm

Somewhere, somehow, somebody has messed up. I am as sure as I can be that this is not a Tarrega piece. At a guess, somebody messed up the composers on the track list and its by somebody else. But its not unheard of for people to try to pass off compositions as being by somebody well known, for reasons of their own, and that is also possible here.

As the above post, the video doesn't work but a bit of googling turns up other ways to listen.

And in fact it doesn't even sound that easy a first tremolo piece!
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Torrescaster

Post by Torrescaster » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:34 pm

Panknos, yes the youtube "video" contains only audio. If its not working for you, you can listen to an excerpt here (along with excerpts from the entire rest of the album): https://www.allmusic.com/album/virtuoso ... 0001939611

There are multiple other uploads of this on the internet. If you simply search for "Honti Larghetto" you'll come up with several. Looks like the rights to Honti's original recording got sold off and this particular track has made it to a number of other guitar compilations.

Stephen, I've come to the same conclusion. Despite the attribution the piece is not by Tarrega.

But who wrote it? Is it even a classical piece at all? Or is it some more recent classical-like piece that Rita Honti wrote herself or appropriated for her album? FWIW, this track was recorded in 1992, and there are three other legitimate Tarrega pieces on it, Capricho Arabe, Lagrima, and Adelita. Honti is a serious classical player, I'm sure she knows the difference. If I knew how to get in touch with her, I'd ask her directly.

As to difficulty, I'm sure there are easier tremolo pieces. . .and in fact I've already learned Carcassi Op 60 #7, which could be considered a "tremolo" piece, although I don't think of it as one. I consider this to be "easy" not because of its technical difficulty (the tremolo part probably isn't any easier or harder than any other), but mostly because I like it and its pretty short, I don't think it would take too long to learn.

If I can find the answer I'll post it.

Torrescaster

Post by Torrescaster » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:52 pm

OK. . .took a little searching, but I found it.

This is "Larghetto for Guitar" by Julio Sagreras. Lesson #4, Book #3.

Here is a beautiful version (with instruction) played by Gohar Vardanyan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM2gaNcW6Ss

And music here (with accursed tab :) )

[link removed]

EDIT: OK, site link was blocked for copyright reasons, but anyone wishing to find a copy of this shouldn't have too hard a time using the above. FWIW, Sagreras has been dead for 75 years. . .I think that legitimately does make him music public domain now.

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:12 pm

Yes his work is definitely public domain now and you can find book 3 number 4 right here on delcamp free of charge: http://www.guitarraclasicadelcamp.com/p ... reras.html
"One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them."

Torrescaster

Post by Torrescaster » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:52 pm

Tate,
Thanks.
I'm adding this one to my "must learn" list!

I rechecked the Rita Honti album yesterday, and there are two other Tarrega etudes on it too. Album itself appears to be a compilation of recordings from several earlier Honti albums.

I think what probably happened was that with so many other Tarrega pieces on there the album producers mistakenly assumed that this piece was by Tarrega too, and just attributed it to him.

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”