Authenticity - looking for Carcassi and Giulliani

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Peskyendeavour

Authenticity - looking for Carcassi and Giulliani

Post by Peskyendeavour » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:00 am

Having got the Tecla Edition for complete Sor études and lessons, I am appreciating the importance of authentic scores and not some edited versions of the music that the composer did not write. I'm wondering if there are complete books of Carcassi and Giulliani along the same lines. Preferably both authentic and of all their compositions complete set. But I'll god for authenticity over anything else.

Recommendations ??

Thanks in advance.
Pesky

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Authenticity - looking for Carcassi and Giulliani

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:03 am

There is, or used to be, a Tecla complete Giuliani as well, running to a huge sum. Nowadays I'd scour the online resources (including here) and imslp (dot) org.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:51 am

Peskyendeavour wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:00 am
Having got the Tecla Edition for complete Sor études and lessons, I am appreciating the importance of authentic scores and not some edited versions of the music that the composer did not write.
Here's the problem: even with the Tecla editions or the online resources suggested, you still are not necessarily getting "the music the composer wrote." You are getting what the publisher printed. And publishers in the early 19th century were just as prone to making errors as a publisher in the early 20th or 21st centuries. (17th and 16th centuries, too, for that matter, though there were certainly fewer of them back then.) There's also the risk of an intentional change made by the publisher, maybe to fit the pagination? I recall a lively debate years ago that the quirky sequence of the four movements of Sor's Op. 25 Sonata may have been done by the publisher Meissonnier. And there are letters from Sor (and Dowland, too), complaining that over-aggressive publishers had printed editions which they the composers thought were not correct in the printed form.

So in the absence of a bonafide manuscript in the composer's own hand*, I am quite happy with purchasing a modern edition which has been gone over by a competent editor.

*And guess what? THESE will have occasional mistakes, too!!
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:55 am

Boije collection has a lot of digitised early Carcassi editions. Whether they are the true composer's intention, see David Norton's comment above.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”