Magicka

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Lcschuet

Magicka

Post by Lcschuet » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:29 pm

I was curious about a composer that I heard in a recent David Leisner concert. I don't have the program but his last name was Magicka. Does anyone know of him?

Martin

Post by Martin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:49 pm

Possibly Wenzeslaus Matiegka (1773-1830)?

There's a little bit of information in the "what's New" section of Leisner's web site. I also found this through G.o.o.g.l.e

"A Czech native, Matiegka studied law in Prague before he moved to Vienna to make a living in music. Shortly after 1800 he was active in Viennese amateur music circles. The guitar being as popular as the piano at that time, Matiegka perfected himself on both instruments, but the guitar became his favorite. By 1809 he was publishing sonatas for solo guitar with the best printers in Vienna and was billed as a 'piano and guitar master' on these editions.

Matiegka settled in the Viennese suburb of Leopoldstadt, where he became the Kapellmeister (music director) at St Leopold's parish church. His works included 23 published pieces for solo guitar, as well as many chamber pieces with guitar. He also wrote sacred music, which has been found in manuscript. He arranged works by Beethoven and Mozart in versions with guitar, and Schubert in turn arranged Matiegka's Nocturne op.21 for flute, violin and guitar as a quartet by adding a cello part."

Some of his music appears to still be in print.

Martin

Martin

Post by Martin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:53 pm

Oh, there's also this...

http://www.delcamp.net/auteurs/en/3_cla ... ka_en.html

...which was probably the first place I should have looked. :oops:

Martin

Lcschuet

thanks

Post by Lcschuet » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:09 pm

Much thanks, I wasn't expecting such a great reply.

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”