Searching for some Phillip Houghton...

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Dreadnought

Searching for some Phillip Houghton...

Post by Dreadnought » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:40 pm

Hey all, this is my first post here.

I've been trying to find some Phillip Houghton sheet music, specifically the Stele Suite for solo guitar (it makes its appearance on John Williams' CD "The Guitarist").

I've been to his personal website, but it's a somewhat complicated process to order his sheet music from Australia..

So I was wondering, does anybody know of any sites that offer this sheet music more directly?

owl

Re: Searching for some Phillip Houghton...

Post by owl » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:53 pm

Dreadnought wrote: I've been to his personal website, but it's a somewhat complicated process to order his sheet music from Australia..
:shock: Why?... send an international money order... or use an international bank transfer... they send the music... how hard is that :roll:

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:04 pm

Hard for me because...

1) I don't know how to do that
2) My parents would have to do it
3) They're less than obliging on issues like this

owl

Post by owl » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:52 pm

LOL dreadnought... sorry mate... I didn't realise you were still 'at home' :oops:

I hope some one can help.
How about taking the sheet music info to your local supplier and see if they can get it in for you... it never hurts to ask.

Good luck
Owl

Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:54 pm

Oh wow, I never actually thought of that idea...

Do you think a big chain like Sam Ash would do that?

owl

Post by owl » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:00 pm

Dreadnought wrote:Oh wow, I never actually thought of that idea...

Do you think a big chain like Sam Ash would do that?
Well I'm not sure, but why not ask them... if they don't do it they can probably tell you who will.
Give it a go... you've got nothing to lose.

Let's know how you get on... if you get stuck maybe I can do something from over here.

Owl

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:35 pm

Jon,

You can go to the post office and buy an international money order and send that (Keep your receipts). Banks can also issue international checks for you... but they charge for the service. Do you have a paypal account?

I once tried to order something fairly small from someone overseas and in the end, we agreed that I would buy him a gift certificate from an online book store! I'm sure if you email them and explain the situation, you can work something out.

Con Guitarist

Frown

Post by Con Guitarist » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:34 am

If your trying to say your looking for a web site from which to download Hillip Houghton's music illegally please just send the money order. I know Phill personally and he is extremely hard worrking and devoted to his art. He relies a good deal on the sales of authentic editions of his music and I will hazard a guess and say that its likely your financially better off than he is. If you do find a site with downloadable music by Phill or any other living composer send them an angry email.

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:18 am

Thanks for the reminder Con Guitarist... We do try to run a tight ship on the forum... which includes not letting people ask for or offer to exchanged pirated material or links to sites that don't respect copyrights. Directing people to places where they can purchase legitimate copies is always encouraged.

Con Guitarist

Post by Con Guitarist » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:49 am

Not to be too discouraging though! On the subject of Phillip Houghton, I would encourage you to check out the following pieces as well as Stele: God of the Northern Forest. Kinkachoo I love You. The Gold fish Suite. 7 short solos (in particular The Ancients from this set). Gothica: Book of Spooks and Spectres. Sachi: chess set.

And try very hard to find a recording of the quartet piece, 'Opals', which is a work of pure genius.

You guys in the States are really unfortunate not to hear much of Phill's stuff. In my opinion he is a VERY fine composer with a distinctive, modern yet accessable musical language. His music is always steeped in mythology and is at times almost programatic in its conguring of certain images and concepts. You always feel, when playing a piece of Phill's, a very personal conection to the music, almost as if you had written it yourself. His music is always surprisingly comfortable to play, and fits very nicely under the fingers, but is always very demanding musically and intellectually. In fact the higher difficulty pieces by Houghton are actually very demanding (stele in particular). In fact John Williams approached Phill with an offer to commision a concierto, but Phill was forced to decline at the time.

Houghton's creative process is painstaking and extremely thoughtfull. He slaves over every note and as a result is extremely specific in his directions to performers, so that learning a piece by Phill can be a real challenge to do properly.

To sum up, its worth the inconvience of a money order to play this music, which will some day be given the recognition it deserves outside Australia.

owl

Post by owl » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:19 pm

Con Guitarist wrote: And try very hard to find a recording of the quartet piece, 'Opals', which is a work of pure genius.
You will find this work on 'Saffire's (The Australian Guitar Quartet) debut album.
The album is also entitled 'Saffire'.

You will also get the magnificent 'Stoneworks' by another Australian composer Richard Charlton.

Owl

cocoguitar

Question about Houghton's music

Post by cocoguitar » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:50 am

Hi Con guitarist,
I was wondering if you could describe a little about how some of Phillip Houghton's guitar solos sound that you mentioned. (I've heard Stele) I am interested in purchasing some.

I really have a thing for Australian music. Peter Sculthorpe is my favorite and Nigel Westlake's stuff is awesome too.

I am willing to give his stuff a try as long as it isn't too atonal or dissonant, although I do love that stuff sometimes. Thanks for any help,

Coco

Chris Davis

Post by Chris Davis » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:03 am

http://www.gspguitar.com

Search for the composer. Stele is the first thing that pops up. They're great guys, but maybe call them on the phone. If they're out of stock on something, they just...dont' send it. It's frustrating, but a phone call can get it ordered--if you have a credit card, that is.

Con Guitarist

Post by Con Guitarist » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:12 am

Hey Cocoguitar.

Phillip's stuff is not actually atonal in the schoenberg sense (its atonal at times but its not serialist).

His music is extremely fun to play through and read through. Its very programatic/visual - it conjures up very vivid images at times and is at times light, at other times intense. Its almost always ingenius in its descriptive qualities. If you've never played his stuff before I would not recommend stelle at all. A the 7 Short Solos is a better introduction to his style, and if you like those I would suggest God of the Northern Forest, which is fantastic.

Phill's stuff can seem technically easy, however musically speaking its extremely difficult. He gives very detailed and literal instructions on his scores as well as many tempo changes and dynamic fluctuation, and getting all this correct (in order to reveal the music at its very best) is at times very fiddly work - but is always rewarding. Hope I've convinced you. Theres ussually some stuff by Phill in Allans (if your in Australia) otherwise try his website (search for it on google).

cocoguitar

Thanks

Post by cocoguitar » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:26 pm

Thanks for the reply,

I actually just found a site by a guitarist with recordings of God of the Northern Forest and Kinkachoo I love you. I will post the link, hope it isn't against the rules.

<<link removed to ensure respect of copyright>>

They are fulll recordings. I like God of the Northern Forest, but Kinkachoo is awesome as well. I like the more medetative quality of Kinkachoo and the flowing sound. You definately have my interest. How would you rate the 7 short solos (compositionaly) to these? I am going to get a hold of his stuff for sure. Thanks,

Coco

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”