Hand exercises prior to playing

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
LarryShone

Re: Hand exercises prior to playing

Post by LarryShone » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:28 am

robin loops wrote:The most important thing to be careful of is to avoid any strain that can lead to injuries and problems later. So never push yourself too hard and when feeling any pain (not to be confused with healthy fatigue and/or soreness) to take a break. My advancement was seriously hindered in the beginning by developing chronic pain, which led to having to take a very long break from classical altogether.

While it's obviously best if you can study with a teacher, that's not always an option. If you're self teaching, it's a good idea to at least set up a few classes with a teacher to help get you off on the right foot. It can help dial in the proper posture, technique, approach, etc. and avoid the pitfalls of having to unlearn bad habits later. Then you can meet with them afterwards, a couple or few times a year, to assess where you're at.
Thanks. My left wrist is much weaker than my right and it does tend to tire more quickly than the right. Plus everything is new so there's bound to be some fatigue. I'm limiting my initial training to 10-15 minute sessions per day. And some days I struggle to fit it in! In the new year, once Christmas is out of the way, house back to normal etc I hope to be more rigid with my practice.
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
José Ferrer Estudiante 5208A
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Tanglewood DBLT SFCE electro-acoustic
Tanglewood TU 13M concert ukulele
Brunswick Baritone ukulele
Deacon Mandolin

UliRawks

Post by UliRawks » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:39 am

Has anyone here used a product like the handmaster plus?

http://youtu.be/zNiQZxvV20M

I have a similar product that I've used off and on, I have found that it seems to make a difference when I'm using it consistently. I'm interested in the theory that training the opposite hand motion is important to the hands of a musician. It makes sense that it would help balance the muscles in the hands. Thoughts?

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:41 pm

There are some pieces with 5 fret spanned barre chords that will exercise your hands much better and skill-specifically than anything else. I've always had a good grip strength and deadlift 340 pounds. But still, I hit those pieces and I really feel it. But with each practice session, these get easier as I get stronger. Mostly, you don't need much raw strength. You need endurance and flexibility more.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”