Recommend a guitar chair ?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Jules Wilkins
Student of the online lessons

Re: Recommend a guitar chair ?

Post by Jules Wilkins » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:03 pm

I notice that the seat portion of the Original Guitar Chair is asymmetrical. I imagine there must be versions for both left handed and right handed people and I am guessing that the musician sits at an angle to the chair's back. I think back to Shearer's (and probably others') recommended posture which has someone sitting at the corner of their chair with their leg on a footstool placed at 45 degrees. This was before the popularity of guitar supports. I have just purchased (not yet arrived) a Sagework Atlas Guitar support. My questions are as follows: Is the reason one sits at an angle on ones chair (and hence why the Original Guitar Chair is asymmetrical) due largely in part to the recommended posture when using a footstool? If using the Atlas support (or one of similar design) is there still an argument for sitting angled on the chair? Putting these questions together, is the asymmetrical design of the Chair to do with the footstool and is a symmetrical chair more suited to someone using a Support? It seems to me that the benefit of a support like the Atlas is that you can now place both feet flat on the ground thus relieving pressure on ones back and that sitting straight and square would thus seem more logical. In other words, sit skewed if using a stool in which case the Guitar Chair is superior to a regular chair as it was designed with that seating position in mind and sit straight if using a support in which case the Guitar Chair is likely a case of using a great tool for the wrong purpose. I am looking for the ideal setup and would love to hear input from people with one or the other and people with both.
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." — unknown

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:49 pm

I have played the OGC with footstool (initially) and now supports that place both feet on the ground. Works brilliantly with both.

I never thought much about the cushion asymmetry. I don’t think it’s the main ergonomic feature. The first is being able to buy different heights to match lower leg length. The second is the shallow depth of the cushion which means you do not have to sit on the front bit of the cushion but you sit back on the cushion with the legs comfortably clear at the front. This allows back support. The third is the back support is low, in the small of your back giving great support where it’s needed. Ask the maker whether she males left and variants - but don’t get stuck on this point. It’s the rest of the design that makes this chair the number 1 for so many users.

stratlanta

Post by stratlanta » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:25 am

I just ordered an OGC today. Can’t wait for it to arrive. My wife has finallly had enough of me rigging and trussing our couch pillows to my office chair for back support. Haha.
Stephan Connor SP/MP
Kenneth Brogger SP/AR
Masaki Sakurai "Special" SP/CSAR
Sergio Perez "Segovia" CD/AR

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”