The "GuitarLift" - FANTASTIC new support device!

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
User avatar
rojarosguitar
Posts: 4561
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:24 pm
Location: near Freiburg, Germany

Re: The "GuitarLift" - FANTASTIC new support device!

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:00 am

Yesterday tried it extensively ... very well working. And I have the feeling the guitar is louder and clearer than usual ... The handling is maybe a bit more challenging and it needs to be removed each time you put your guitar into the case; also depending on your guitar stand it might or might not be possible to use the stand with the support on.
But as such, in it's function it seems to do what it is supposed to do very well and gives me on my right leg with my flamenca a very natural, good and stable position without the feeling, I have to control anything.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 6254
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: The "GuitarLift" - FANTASTIC new support device!

Post by petermc61 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:04 am

I think something similar - not necessarily louder but more resonant, more ‘cathedral like’. It is not profound but still quite noticeable. Given how much you would need to pay to get similar improvements by going to a ‘better’ luthier I think the value for money is exceptional.

User avatar
rojarosguitar
Posts: 4561
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:24 pm
Location: near Freiburg, Germany

Re: The "GuitarLift" - FANTASTIC new support device!

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:03 pm

:bravo:
petermc61 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:04 am
I think something similar - not necessarily louder but more resonant, more ‘cathedral like’. It is not profound but still quite noticeable. Given how much you would need to pay to get similar improvements by going to a ‘better’ luthier I think the value for money is exceptional.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

Jeffrey Armbruster
Posts: 1867
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:16 am
Location: Berkeley, California

Re: The "GuitarLift" - FANTASTIC new support device!

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:56 pm

I mostly just like the great stability and lack of fiddle factor once you have it on the guitar. I forget that it's there. It took me a week to find the right spot of attachment on the guitar and then memorize that; now it's second nature. I agree that having that slight separation from your body makes the guitar slightly more resonant. Is it that the support actually reflects sound that would have been absorbed by your body? Or just allows freer vibration? Maybe a little of both.

By the way rojarosguitar, did you get the full size or half?
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

User avatar
rojarosguitar
Posts: 4561
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:24 pm
Location: near Freiburg, Germany

Re: The "GuitarLift" - FANTASTIC new support device!

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:47 am

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:56 pm

By the way rojarosguitar, did you get the full size or half?
I got the half plate; the full one occurred to me as a little bit unwieldy...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

Ledhand75
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:01 am

Re: The "GuitarLift" - FANTASTIC new support device!

Post by Ledhand75 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:41 pm

I’m awaiting delivery of the full plate version. It shipped from Germany on December 12, and is now due for delivery around mid-week.

While I do have some worries about the potential for damage to the finish on my 2005 Blochinger, I also see the potential that it can provide protection from scratches and body heat/perspiration related hazing in warmer weather.

User avatar
rojarosguitar
Posts: 4561
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:24 pm
Location: near Freiburg, Germany

Re: The "GuitarLift" - FANTASTIC new support device!

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:27 pm

Ledhand75 wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:41 pm
I’m awaiting delivery of the full plate version. It shipped from Germany on December 12, and is now due for delivery around mid-week.

While I do have some worries about the potential for damage to the finish on my 2005 Blochinger, I also see the potential that it can provide protection from scratches and body heat/perspiration related hazing in warmer weather.
There are circular foils you can put on the back under the suction cups. They should not really damage the finish, you can polish away the traces with the usual polishing paste used for refreshing the finish.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

Ledhand75
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:01 am

Re: The "GuitarLift" - FANTASTIC new support device!

Post by Ledhand75 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:27 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:27 pm
There are circular foils you can put on the back under the suction cups. They should not really damage the finish, you can polish away the traces with the usual polishing paste used for refreshing the finish.
It seems that I’ve read different things. Are the foils meant to be used with a French Polished finish or lacquer?

User avatar
rojarosguitar
Posts: 4561
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:24 pm
Location: near Freiburg, Germany

Re: The "GuitarLift" - FANTASTIC new support device!

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:40 pm

They are meant to be used with anything that might cause the suction cups to fall of (surface not polished enough or porous). Also if you are afraid that something in the suction cups could attack your surface you can use them as go-in-betweens. That's my understanding.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

Jeffrey Armbruster
Posts: 1867
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:16 am
Location: Berkeley, California

Re: The "GuitarLift" - FANTASTIC new support device!

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:43 pm

If I remember right--and I may not!--someone in the course of this thread warned about using the circular foils because they stuck on his guitar, or something. It might be worth checking back on the thread--I'm too lazy.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 6254
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: The "GuitarLift" - FANTASTIC new support device!

Post by petermc61 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:04 am

Jeffrey

I couldn’t recall any negative comments on the thread about the suction cups, particularly when used with the supplied foils. So I searched.

The only thing that might have raised concerns was one of mine, quoted below.
petermc61 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:32 pm
Interesting discussion about suction cups. I have used them for ages on all sorts of FP guitars and never had a problem. Twice I have used them on guitars with nitro back and sides and both times quickly caused damage.
I think it wise to explain the context of this comment. Firstly, I have never experienced issues on FP with suction cups (either on this support or the de Oro which I also use).

I have also not had any issues on nitro finish with the GuitarLift. My comments in the quoted text refer to the de Oro suction cups leaving marks on two guitars with nitro finish to back and sides. De Oro sells adhesive sheets to use under their suction cups but do not recommend it for nitro, as the damage will be affected. So it seems their suction cups are not ideal for nitro finishes. I am pretty sure it would be ok if you fitted the de Oro support and took it off after each play. I got lazy or forgetful when I had my problems.

Hope this extra explanation is useful.
Last edited by petermc61 on Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jeffrey Armbruster
Posts: 1867
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:16 am
Location: Berkeley, California

Re: The "GuitarLift" - FANTASTIC new support device!

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:00 am

O.K. mystery solved; I was referencing myself vis a vis the -protection pads. this is my own post:

"I just received the lift an hour ago and so far it's very promising! I was warned not to use the clear adhesive protection pads because they will remove French polish when you take them off. Has anyone not used them and found that the suction cups alone didn't hurt their polish--or did? thanks."

I can't remember who or where I was "warned" about using the clear adhesive protection pads--possibly SBM.*** Sorry! I don't use them and the suction cups have been completely fine with my two guitars; one French polished and the other...I'm not sure. A Takemine. Sorry for any confusion.

***edit: here's what SBM says about Kling-On clear guitar support removable suction cup protectors: " Please contact your luthier before using on French Polish finishes." I was probably referencing that. I'm slightly hyper cautious (neurotic) about things like this.

edit#2--I might have heard the warning about the protection pads, not the suction cups, when I purchased the lift through Rafael Elizondo, who distributes these in the U.S., but I'm just not sure.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Ledhand75
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:01 am

Re: The "GuitarLift" - FANTASTIC new support device!

Post by Ledhand75 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:20 am

My Big Plate (full size) Guitar Lift arrived today after getting misrouted by USPS to a town 60 Miles to the west of me.

Initial impressions are very positive. I used it on two French polished guitars, and neither was left with a mark of any type. I did not use the protective films.

Right off the bat, both guitars sounded more open, and had more sustain. The device was easy to install, and felt completely natural, as counter-intuitive as that seems to attaching a chunk of plastic to my guitar with four suction cups.

As others have pointed out, the Guitar Lift is highly adjustable. It was easy to find a usable position, but dialing it in optimally will take a bit of experimentation.

All in all I’m very excited about this purchase, and am grateful to the members of this forum for bringing it to my attention. My aging back and knee will be much happier with both feet planted on the floor.

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 1995
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: The "GuitarLift" - FANTASTIC new support device!

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:18 am

petermc61 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:04 am
Jeffrey

I couldn’t recall any negative comments on the thread about the suction cups, particularly when used with the supplied foils. So I searched.

The only thing that might have raised concerns was one of mine, quoted below.
petermc61 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:32 pm
Interesting discussion about suction cups. I have used them for ages on all sorts of FP guitars and never had a problem. Twice I have used them on guitars with nitro back and sides and both times quickly caused damage.
I think it wise to explain the context of this comment. Firstly, I have never experienced issues on FP with suction cups (either on this support or the de Oro which I also use).

I have also not had any issues on nitro finish with the GuitarLift. My comments in the quoted text refer to the de Oro suction cups leaving marks on two guitars with nitro finish to back and sides. De Oro sells adhesive sheets to use under their suction cups but do not recommend it for nitro, as the damage will be affected. So it seems their suction cups are not ideal for nitro finishes. I am pretty sure it would be ok if you fitted the de Oro support and took it off after each play. I got lazy or forgetful when I had my problems.

Hope this extra explanation is useful.
We're either of the guitars damaged a Ramirez? I am considering getting a Dork, but my Ramirez is lacquer, I'm pretty sure. You didn't have problems with the guitarlift suction cups on lacquer, right?

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 6254
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: The "GuitarLift" - FANTASTIC new support device!

Post by petermc61 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:24 am

I believe they were both nitro. One I am certain this was the case, the other less so (but I still believe it to be). Neither was Ramirez.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”