Voltaren for hand arthritis

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Jeffrey Armbruster

Voltaren for hand arthritis

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:21 am

My hands are fine but my right knee is killing me. Anyway, in researching what to do I've come across a number of people claiming that Voltaren gel can be very good indeed for hand arthritis. So I thought that I'd put this up. Oh, and my knee doc said the same thing--it's no good for knees but can be for hands.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Re: Voltaren for hand arthritis

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:07 am

My doc prescribed Voltaren for hand pain and trigger finger relief. A prescription is required in the US but it is over the counter in Canada, 2 miles away and MUCH cheaper. I tried it for several weeks and I find no benefit.

On relating this to a friend, he recommended a balm from our local pot shop. That’s my next stop. Is anyone familiar with this type of product?

I’m also taking Boswellia for inflammation, which I think is making a difference.

Good luck and let us know what works for you. I’ll report on the pot products, I’m sure they’ll work great!
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:10 am

Rick, someone recommended a pot balm to me too for my knee. It hasn't made any difference. However, he thought it was better than Voltaren. Again, I think these lotions are supposed to work better for hands than knees because they don't penetrate very deeply and so can't reach the knees, but maybe the arthritis in hands. Let us know how the pot balm works! I'm certainly curious.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:09 am

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:21 am
My hands are fine but my right knee is killing me. Anyway, in researching what to do I've come across a number of people claiming that Voltaren gel can be very good indeed for hand arthritis. So I thought that I'd put this up. Oh, and my knee doc said the same thing--it's no good for knees but can be for hands.
The gel takes a while to work, basically it is absorbed through the skin. I'm allergic to all NSAIDs which Volteren is one of so I can't use it. It took about 2 months for me to get side effects from the gel but about 11days when I took it by mouth. For me acupuncture works although not a cure it helps a lot..

es335

Post by es335 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:35 am

A former physiotherapist of a first soccer league club in Germany once recommended Kytta Forte to me instead of Voltaren, which he used and uses exclusively as he didn’t appreciate very much. Kytta is a a pure natural creme with comfrey root extract as the active agent, at least as efficient as Voltaren but without any side effects. Knowing the active agent you might be able to find simething similar in your country in case Kytta is not available there. :wink:

riemsesy

Post by riemsesy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:48 am

for my knee I benefit from this:

Curcumin Phytosome capsules
2 mg omega 3 fish oil (two caps)
1000mg vitamin c (1 caps)
msm (Methylsulfonylmethane) (two caps)

Now I am taking these for two months. I couldn't walk the stairs without pain, but that's gone now.
Best regards,
Richard Frank

CT20

Post by CT20 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:48 pm

Two natural products that I've found helpful for arthritis in both thumbs and knees...Devil's Claw cream and White Willow Bark cream. Amazon sells a willow bark cream for under $10 that is very helpful. I've even given it to a few friends that report noticeable decrease in discomfort.
Devil's Claw cream is relatively expensive in the US..$20+ for small amounts, but more popular and affordable in Europe. Last year I purchased a couple of 8oz tubs from Germany of a version made by Bergland for about $12 each that is very good.
I also find the anti-inflammatory pills riemsesy listed helpful.

simonm

Post by simonm » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:26 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:07 am
My doc prescribed Voltaren for hand pain and trigger finger relief. A prescription is required in the US but it is over the counter in Canada, 2 miles away and MUCH cheaper. I tried it for several weeks and I find no benefit.
When I was in the US one trip, it surprised me that Voltaren (Diclofenac) was prescription. In Germany the 25mg tabs are over the counter but the 50mg or higher are prescription. It is not a drug for long term use but for some things it is a "magic" potion. For me it is great if I hurt my back - i.e pull something, or over exert myself. Typically one tablet before I go to bed and the pain is gone the next day. Occasionally, I need to take it two days in a row. It is however (for) absolutely useless for headaches for example.

We usually have a tube voltaren Gel in the house. It does seem to help for some kinds of pain but not everything. Comfrey is sometimes known as "knit-bone" so it has a long tradition in traditional medicine. I didn't know of any commercial products derived from it but we had it in the garden at one point. (Thanks to es335 for the Kytta suggestion).

Simon

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:27 pm

es335 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:35 am
Kytta is a a pure natural creme with comfrey root extract as the active agent, at least as efficient as Voltaren but without any side effects. Knowing the active agent you might be able to find simething similar in your country in case Kytta is not available there. :wink:
It's important to recognise that 'natural' remedies, if they are effective, are as likely to have side effects as conventional medications.

Some comfrey root extracts contain so-called pyrrolizidine alkaloids which can cause liver damage; anyone who uses comfrey should ensure they are free of these compounds (as far as I know Kytta branded products are safe in this respect - but check if you are going to use them).

Devils' Claw preparations have been associated with quite a range of side effects including (rarely) allergic reactions.

Cucumin is pretty safe (which is a good thing as you find it in curries) and as for White Willow Bark, its active constituent is salicilin, which is basically the same as good old aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid).

PS Diclofenac gel is available over the counter in the UK, as is Ibuprofen gel, which is much the same in its effects.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:58 pm

Here in Quebec Voltaren Emulgel is over the conter. And yes it is good for both knees and hands.

We must not forget the most potent natural product for tendonitis: ice. Really effective. I am not kidding :D
Miodrag Zerdoner 8 string Stauffer-Legnani
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:02 am

Tomzooki wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:58 pm
Here in Quebec Voltaren Emulgel is over the conter. And yes it is good for both knees and hands.

We must not forget the most potent natural product for tendonitis: ice. Really effective. I am not kidding :D
Plus one on ice!
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

otirroz

Post by otirroz » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:14 pm

Tomzooki wrote:

+2

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:21 pm

Hubby uses Voltaren gel on his arthritic hands when he's playing mandolin; he likes it a lot. I tried it once too for a temporary minor hand injury, and it's really good. Much better than taking ibuprofen by pill.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Sanjin

Post by Sanjin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:01 pm

There is an anti inflammation pineapple extract called bromelain, helps me a lot, should go without prescription, helps with all kinds of inflammation, arthritis, varicose veins, menstrual pain... Overuse of NSAIDs can cause issues, bleeding etc

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:04 pm

Tomzooki wrote:
Some of these transatlantic name differences are puzzling; in the Uk it's Voltarol Emulgel. I bought a big tube (180g) a couple of weeks ago when a well-known chemist chain had it half-price.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”