Voltaren for hand arthritis

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
RaajShinde

Re: Voltaren for hand arthritis

Post by RaajShinde » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:44 pm

riemsesy wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:48 am
for my knee I benefit from this:

Curcumin Phytosome capsules
2 mg omega 3 fish oil (two caps)
1000mg vitamin c (1 caps)
msm (Methylsulfonylmethane) (two caps)

Now I am taking these for two months. I couldn't walk the stairs without pain, but that's gone now.
+2 on the Curcumin, Vit. C and Fish Oil.

I was beginning to develop arthritis in the knee with a fair amount pain. A visit to the orthopedic surgeon resulted in some Cortizone shots that offered temporary relief before a winter photography expedition last year. I came back with a lot of pain and wasn't willing to accept the "there is nothing you can do, your are getting old" nonsense. After a lot of research, I started taking in the morning a tall glass of warm water mixed with Turmeric powder (Curcumin), mixed with half a teaspoon of freshly crushed Black Pepper and a scoop of gelatin. After a week of so of drinking this concoction, my knees are fine - no pain at all. :) Apparently the Black Pepper enhances the bioavailability of the Curcumin and is essential to enable proper absorption. I take the Vit C and the Fish Oil separately.

Cheers,
-raaj
The Sage is occupied with the unspoken
and acts without effort.
Teaching without verbosity,
producing without possessing,
creating without regard to result,
claiming nothing,
the Sage has nothing to lose.

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:19 pm

If we are talking here of « osteoarthritis », and not « rheumatoid arthritis », we should mention glucosamine as a good choice of treatment. There is scientific evidences of its efficiency. It is suggested to take 500mg 3 times a day with a meal. It takes at least 1 month to begin to notice results, and of course if it is efficient one should continue to take it. As it is very inexpensive and well tolerated the long term treatment is not a problem at all.

The reason it takes so long to work is that its action is not on the pain or on inflammation, but on the structural integrity of the articulation. So it can work in team with Voltaren, ice, curcuma, ect...
Miodrag Zerdoner 8 string Stauffer-Legnani
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:40 pm

Tomzooki wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:19 pm
If we are talking here of « osteoarthritis », and not « rheumatoid arthritis », we should mention glucosamine as a good choice of treatment. There is scientific evidences of its efficiency. It is suggested to take 500mg 3 times a day with a meal. It takes at least 1 month to begin to notice results, and of course if it is efficient one should continue to take it. As it is very inexpensive and well tolerated the long term treatment is not a problem at all.

The reason it takes so long to work is that its action is not on the pain or on inflammation, but on the structural integrity of the articulation. So it can work in team with Voltaren, ice, curcuma, ect...
You do need to be sure of the source though as if it's fish based some people can be allergic to it ie those with fish allergies. Also I read somewhere it is better combined with MSM and chondroitin (can't remember where so best check).

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:30 pm

Tomzooki wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:19 pm
If we are talking here of « osteoarthritis », and not « rheumatoid arthritis », we should mention glucosamine as a good choice of treatment. There is scientific evidences of its efficiency.
The evidence is weak, though, much of it based on small or poorly designed studies. A fairly recent study of 1625 sufferers of knee osteoarthritis (OA) [Yang, S., Eaton, C. B., McAlindon, T. E. and Lapane, K. L. (2015), Effects of Glucosamine and Chondroitin Supplementation on Knee Osteoarthritis: An Analysis With Marginal Structural Models. Arthritis & Rheumatology, 67: 714–723.] concluded:
Use of glucosamine/chondroitin did not appear to relieve symptoms or modify disease progression among patients with radiographically confirmed OA. Our findings are consistent with the results of meta-analyses of clinical trials and extend those results to a more general population with knee OA.
The UK The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence in its guidance to doctors (based on its own analysis of the available research studies) bluntly states:
Do not offer glucosamine or chondroitin products for the management of osteoarthritis.
If glucosamine (with or without chondroitin) does have an effect the effect size (ie amount of benefit) in most people is small. So it's not worth persisting with for more than a few months in the absence of benefit.

The problem with judging whether it does provide any benefit in the individual is affected by so-called regression to the mean. You only start treatment is a problem is affecting you badly. In the case of OA, which tends to follow a fluctuating course, the natural course of events following an exacerbation is a degree of improvement whcih you will then attribute to the treatment!
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:57 pm

Pogmoor that's interesting because it was my rheumatology consultant who intially put me on glucosamine. Your reference is more recent though thanks.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:20 pm

Devil's Claw cream and White Willow Bark cream.
Do these creams "disappear" in the skin, or are they a little greasy? I think my husband would be interested, but one reason he uses Voltaren is that it dries fast and won't damage the finish of his mandolin.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

CT20

Post by CT20 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:44 am

celestemcc..they "disappear" if rubbed in for a minute or so.

BreathingSince72

Post by BreathingSince72 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:56 pm

Greetings All,

I have not read every reply so please forgive me if I am repeating someone elses' suggestion. Tiger Balm has amazing penetrative capabilities. Biggest drawback is that you want this nowhere near your eyes and if you were to put it too close to tips of fingers, it could prove disastrous. I have foramenal stenosis (compression of nerve bundle coming out of upper spine) and other things happening with my neck that are just...bad. I have found tiger balm to be helpful. Especially when I am at work or some other place where taking prescribed medications may be unwise.

Victoria
I don't want to play like other guitarists; I want to give voice to the song of my own soul.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”