Barre and the index finger

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Magdy Shehata

Barre and the index finger

Post by Magdy Shehata » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:39 pm

I've an issue with setting a barre and the third string ..
It feels likw there is not enough flesh on my finger to hold this string tight... just above the first interphalangeal joint esp. with the first frets..
when i move my finger up it turns to be the fourth string to have the issue , with more pressure it's resolved but sometimes takes much more pressure compared to the usual pressure exerted .. may some other times be resloved by some kind of tricks like after i put my finger i pull it down with the strings , or set it very adjacent to or even on the fret bar but that does not mean it needs no pressure it always does..
I think i'm just missing something like some kind of alignment of my finger with the forearm ar an angle or so .. beacuse this too much pressure thing is really bothering me ..
thnx in advance :D :D

Jeffrey Armbruster

Re: Barre and the index finger

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:09 pm

Try moving your finger forward (or back) until you find a spot that works. And lifting the tip of the finger, so that you're 'bowing' it, may help. Also, rotating the finger slightly so that it's not flat on the fretboard, may help. And then weighting with the arm is supposed to help--but it's hard for me to remember to do this. finally, check to insure that your finger is flush against the fret. Whatever you do, don't just keep adding pressure!

It may take some time to develop this, so be patient.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:33 pm

Are you using the weight of your arm to help with the barre?

Douglas Niedt explains it nicely, it helped me https://douglasniedt.com/Tech_Tip_Little_Jennifer.html
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Claudiosolares

Post by Claudiosolares » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:51 pm

I had Francisco Navarro build me a custom cedar/cocobolo with a narrower 48mm neck. That solved many of the issues I had, like you.
1985 Bertrand Martin: Spruce, Rosewood
2013 Feiga Siedler: Vihuela de Mano after E7048: Spruce, Indian Rosewood.
2014 Francisco Navarro: After Rodriguez: Cedar,Cocobolo
2016 Carlos Trujillo: Baroque guitar after Chechucci: Machiche, Spruce, Chicozapote

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”