Footstool size

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Utku Demir
Student of the online lessons

Footstool size

Post by Utku Demir » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:42 pm

Hello everyone,
What is the size of footstool for best standing and playing a guitar?
Also, you may suggest a brand for it.

prawnheed

Re: Footstool size

Post by prawnheed » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:48 pm

You have to find what works for you. It depends on your body, your chair, your playing position etc.

If find that anything the right height works just fine. I am currently using a tin that had vegtables in it (the standard 400g tin). i have also used old paint tins, a block of wood, a pile of books, etc.

You can buy fancy adjustable stools, but they offer no real advantage over stuff you already have.

Try a few things until you find the right height for you.

Utku Demir
Student of the online lessons

Post by Utku Demir » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:04 pm

Thanks prawnheed. I will try another stuff like books or tins.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:58 pm

Utku Demir wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:42 pm
Hello everyone,
What is the size of footstool for best standing and playing a guitar?
Also, you may suggest a brand for it.
I had a furniture maker make a footstool to my specifications for about $125.00. Worth every penny. PM me for the contact information.
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

Intune

Post by Intune » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:23 pm

If you're committed to a footstool (rather than a guitar support, which many players recommend to keep a healthy spine), get one with adjustable heights. That way you can experiment to find the right height for you. You can find adjustable footstools on many guitar-supply websites, such as Strings by Mail. I don't think they're very expensive.
Intune
2010 Andres Marvi (cedar/Madagascar rosewood)

"...beware of all enterprises that require new clothes..." -- H.D. Thoreau

Todd Tipton
Teacher

Post by Todd Tipton » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:09 pm

As others have already suggested, it depends on many factors. The most significant factors are the length of your torso, the height of your chair, and the length of your legs (especially from the floor to your knees). Personally, I prefer a chair that sits a little lower than average allowing the guitar to feel more secure. A good guideline for starting out is to get in a position where the neck of the guitar is not horizontal or vertical, but rather diagonal. When you are seated with good posture, the head of the guitar should be at about eye level.

It is common for those seeking a good default position to have the head of the guitar a bit too low. If the guitar is in a good position, then you should be able to maintain good posture, keep the thumb behind the neck, and play the highest 19th fret note on the first string with your 4th finger. This one task is very often a good indicator that you are in the ballpark. It is also common for students to believe they are in a good position, but then fail this little test of playing the highest note. When attempting this, it is very easy to raise the guitar a bit and find comfort and ease. The footstool is then raised accordingly.

Lastly, I am an advocate to alternatives to the footstool. I do believe it is good to first get maximum comfort with a footstool so that one has a good understanding of what they are trying to imitate. Along those lines though, I am all for footstool burning parties...LOL :-)
Dr. Todd Tipton, classical guitarist
Cincinnati, OH, USA (available via Skype)

henders

Post by henders » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:56 pm

Todd Tipton wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:09 pm
Along those lines though, I am all for footstool burning parties...LOL :-)
I’m with you on that. What an absolute torture device. Why even start with one though? A good quality support provides excellent and comfortable stability. I could never go back.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”