stretching exercises

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Cary W

Re: stretching exercises

Post by Cary W » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:20 am

Go easy with all stretching exercises. Be gentle. There is the famous story of Robert Schumann (pianist) wearing a device to isolate certain fingers on the hand and exercise the weaker ones..rumours of surgery..perhaps other factors too..all of this leading to the end of his concert career. Look after your body..don't make extreme demands on it. Cheers.
2008 Yamaha GC31C Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ46
1987 Yamaha GC-3 Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ45

AsturiasFan

Post by AsturiasFan » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:27 pm

derrickstevenson wrote:Hi asturiasfan. Just tried out your stretches. I can't do any of them. I'm impressed how you can position your fingers above the frets before placing them on the fret board. How much time do you spend on strecthing exercises and how long did it take you to manage those chords?
Hi Derrick. I didn't do any stretching exercises other than practicing on these chords. The first chord (F major seventh) took two months. Probably the same for the other two. Prefiguring the first chord is not now difficult for me. In prefiguring the second chord (F Major) I have to rotate the wrist/hand more over the fretboard and the pinky must be extended completely straight. I can’t prefigure the 3rd chord at all.

Tracing out my hand with maximal stretch between index and pinky fingers gives 15.7 cm from pinky to index (measured from the middles of the finger tip tops). The maximal stretch between my thumb and pinky is 20.5 cm.

I would be surprised if someone with hands smaller than mine could form these chords since they are borderline for me. Someone with larger hands should find them easy or relatively so.

fazley

Post by fazley » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:31 pm

I am only new here and have not specifically practised stretching excerices. In fact I would like to buy the Pumping nylon book, which is highly regarded here. What did help me improve my stretching abilty, is playing some pieces with big stretches. (Romance, Estudio 2 by Tarrega and a few Bach pieces)

together

Post by together » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:47 am

E --1---2------1---3----------------------

Yes I remember this one and my teacher Hucky.
He also do the other finger combinations, and reaches B from F with his middle finger.
index, middle
middle, ring
ring, pinky

If those are from Pumping Nylon then I have to find the book.

Tonyyyyy

Post by Tonyyyyy » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:27 pm

Alicia wrote:I've have great success by stretching my 2nd and 4th fingers apart (with my right hand) many times a day - away from my CG. I've only been doing this for a week and have gained half an inch of stretch.
This is really impressive

I have not actually measured improvements in spread, but I know I can do things that were impossible years ago. I just do gentle 'warm-up' type hand and finger stretches, a little like these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzRgbNz96Ww .

I suspect at some point , trying too much too soon, there could be a danger of injury. Pain would normally be a good indicator.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”