Why not stand with the guitar?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
ewokinco

Re: Why not stand with the guitar?

Post by ewokinco » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:40 pm

Just a follow-up. The wood strap buttons I ordered are here and they are lovely. They are small, a dark wood which will fit my instrument well, nicely done and with a small abalone dot in the middle. They won't be very intrusive on the Kenny Hill instrument if I actually do decide to add them. I have a second Hill guitar and probably will order a second kit. The size of the buttons requires a thinner strap, or a device that hooks into a thicker strap and then is thin on the ends (have seen some of those quick release type), but they will work fine for me as I don't want a large strap anyway. For anyone looking for them, they are:

Cocobolo Guitar Strap Buttons with Abalone Dot, lathe-turned with built in 1/8" screw. It is a kit that comes with two leather washers and a tapping tool and directions, but I will have a professional luthier do this for me. The specs are as follows:
.540" diameter
.446" high
.624" screw length

I got them from Amazon. But they are distributed by Northstone Industries in Spokane WA and are also labeled as Iluak Ivory Fine Instrument Fittings. This company also makes a variety of other types of buttons for anyone looking. I hope this is helpful to someone.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:18 pm

Those wood strap buttons seems like a nice option.
Did they work for you?
ewokinco wrote:Just a follow-up. The wood strap buttons I ordered are here and they are lovely. They are small, a dark wood which will fit my instrument well, nicely done and with a small abalone dot in the middle. They won't be very intrusive on the Kenny Hill instrument if I actually do decide to add them. I have a second Hill guitar and probably will order a second kit. The size of the buttons requires a thinner strap, or a device that hooks into a thicker strap and then is thin on the ends (have seen some of those quick release type), but they will work fine for me as I don't want a large strap anyway. For anyone looking for them, they are:

Cocobolo Guitar Strap Buttons with Abalone Dot, lathe-turned with built in 1/8" screw. It is a kit that comes with two leather washers and a tapping tool and directions, but I will have a professional luthier do this for me. The specs are as follows:
.540" diameter
.446" high
.624" screw length

I got them from Amazon. But they are distributed by Northstone Industries in Spokane WA and are also labeled as Iluak Ivory Fine Instrument Fittings. This company also makes a variety of other types of buttons for anyone looking. I hope this is helpful to someone.
I'd better speak by music...Please listen my guitar at Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, etc.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:17 pm

Interesting.. - When I started to do it about 20 years ago (play guitar, working with PC etc) while standing, walking, moving - it was very unusual and for many people seems to be like a radical move... now it is becoming mainstream idea...
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sedenta ... -1.2811872
I'd better speak by music...Please listen my guitar at Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, etc.

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:50 pm

Recently I've watched a cable TV program (National Geographic, I think) where they showed some companies and offices that started to put their employees to work standing up. Even computer office job, they made a working station in a way they work standing up at the computer. Actually there was working stations where you can work standing up or seated, so you can exchange between both options and recommendation was to work mainly standing up with some resting periods working on the chair.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:08 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/poor-post ... -1.2879550

another interesting article about posture and role of standing.

.it is not describing classical guitarist posture or maybe it is... ?

Few words from it - "Sitting with the shoulders forward can lead to tightness and pulling at the opposing muscles in the back, Moreside said. The arteries, veins and nerves that run to the arms and hands can also be compressed, which increases the likelihood of tennis elbow and carpel tunnel syndrome.
To counteract poor posture, Moreside​ ​recommends​ standing straight, and stretching and strengthening muscles."

shira

Post by shira » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:05 am

Nope - the shoulders don't have to be slumped forward to play the guitar. One can still jut their chest out while playing the guitar - plus it adds to the manliness factor.

Goose997

Post by Goose997 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:10 pm

hi Shira

I am interested how you ended in a thread from 2009 :D

Edit: sorry - I am half asleep here :desole:
Best regards,
Malan
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Antonio Marin Montero Spruce (June 2015)
Alhambra 10P Cedar
Alhambra 1C Cedar

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:50 pm

shira wrote:Nope - the shoulders don't have to be slumped forward to play the guitar. One can still jut their chest out while playing the guitar - plus it adds to the manliness factor.
Hi Shira,
Thanks for your comment!
This article with words which your quoted was about sitting and standing in general, therefore could be just partially applied to guitar playing, just as explanation of ergonomics regarding sitting and standing n general, but not regarding particular details like position of shoulders.
Thanks for you thoughts!

hpaulj

Post by hpaulj » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:43 am

ronjazz wrote:While drilling holes in your guitar might be a problem for some, I found some plastic hooks that attack with double-sided tape that work very well for using a strap.
The brand "Command" includes double sided tape that removes easily, with no scarring or residue, and sticks well enough to hold a solid-body electric guitar, somewhat heavier than most any classical. Worth a try at about $4.00.
I happened to have some small Command picture hangers, so I'm trying your idea on my guitalele. I can easily attach a light strap to the headstock. But the body end was a puzzle. The finish isn't smooth enough to take a suction cup, and I'm not commited enough to the stap idea to drill a hole. Hopefully this hanger will hold well enough to properly test the stap approach. If not I''ll stick with a leg cushion.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:07 pm

hpaulj wrote:
ronjazz wrote:While drilling holes in your guitar might be a problem for some, I found some plastic hooks that attack with double-sided tape that work very well for using a strap.
The brand "Command" includes double sided tape that removes easily, with no scarring or residue, and sticks well enough to hold a solid-body electric guitar, somewhat heavier than most any classical. Worth a try at about $4.00.
I happened to have some small Command picture hangers, so I'm trying your idea on my guitalele. I can easily attach a light strap to the headstock. But the body end was a puzzle. The finish isn't smooth enough to take a suction cup, and I'm not commited enough to the stap idea to drill a hole. Hopefully this hanger will hold well enough to properly test the stap approach. If not I''ll stick with a leg cushion.
When I tried guitar with strap attached to headstock I found that guitar was not in very stable position and it was not convenient for my playing, unlike two buttons.
Good luck with your experiments!

Luvaskot

Post by Luvaskot » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:30 pm

You can play while standing, if there is an equipment which fix the guitar and your body. New type of guitar support which is directly attached to body rather than legs can be useful. Lots of guitarist getting hernia just because using footstool etc.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:00 pm

Luvaskot wrote:You can play while standing, if there is an equipment which fix the guitar and your body. New type of guitar support which is directly attached to body rather than legs can be useful. Lots of guitarist getting hernia just because using footstool etc.
You are right about footstool! Not only hernia but all kind of back and other problems and pain...

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:49 pm

The Command stick-on hooks are a temporary solution for guitar, although may be fine for the guitalele, depending on size and weight, but it gives you an idea of how much better your life might be by simply drilling a couple of small hole, as well as being able to try the hooks in different places until you're comfortable. I have buttons on three of my guitars so far, and I have found that standing and playing, especially in ensemble, is a lot of fun, and has practical applications as well, if you lead a lot of gigs, as I do. On the other hand, there may well be occasions where a classical approach of being seated may be a good idea, but sitting with a footstool for a concert is easy if you're practicing in different positions. I find that I can play comfortably with a footstool, and might want to occasionally. I have also found that the strap gives you choices, and is a good practicing stance, once you adjust the strap by sitting with your foot at the height on the footstool you like. At that point, you can remain seated and move the footstool aside, or you can stand and practice for a while. You can walk around a little, stay loose, and probably practice longer with less pain and strain. That's what's I've been going through, and it's great.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

lowaiyiu

Post by lowaiyiu » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:15 am

As most of the lute players sit on a chair while playing, sit on a chair while playing guitar is sort of a 'traditional' thing.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:30 pm

lowaiyiu wrote:As most of the lute players sit on a chair while playing, sit on a chair while playing guitar is sort of a 'traditional' thing.
Sure it is traditional... but not always most convenient and healthy.
It would be more difficult to pay Lute standing..., especially big ones.
Yet it is possible to play Lute with strap too, I do play small renaissance lute this way... :)

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”