" -Non-Purist's" - Arm Sleeve

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Todd Tipton
Teacher

Re: " -Non-Purist's" - Arm Sleeve

Post by Todd Tipton » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:42 am

jhapgood wrote:At the risk of starting a riot and being branded as an outcast, I will mention an experiment I conducted recently by utilizing a football forearm guard as a sleeve to provide additional right arm padding and comfort while playing for extended periods.

Joe
I've never used one, but it sounds like a great idea. While, I perform in long sleeve shirts, daily practice life and short sleeves call the need for something. I've always used socks with the toes cut out. Perhaps this isn't as aesthetically pleasing as your solution.

best,

Todd
Dr. Todd Tipton, Noda Guitar Studio
Charlotte, NC, USA (available via Skype)

Brett

Post by Brett » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:29 pm

This thread is pretty old, but I have to say it made me laugh out loud. I'm looking for a solution to this exact issue. I'm headed to the sock drawer...

gjj

Post by gjj » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:18 pm

Scot Tremblay wrote:
Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:07 pm
jwp wrote:...Thanks, bear. I was wondering what to have for dinner and that's a good suggestion.
That's disgusting! Lambs should be frolicking in among the flowers of the field not served as chops on someones dinner plate... :mouton:

Suffice it to say, my rather dogmatic attitude on this matter doesn't carry much weight in a household dominated by an Aussie wife and two dogs of Australian Shepherd and Border Collie persuasion... :roll:

Due to a forearm muscle (flexor) injury a few years back, I tried my one of martial arts forearm pads as an arm sleeve. I expect it is similar to the football one. Worked very well but the whole "arm sock" thing brings out another of my rather dogmatic attitudes so as soon as the injury was healed the arm sleeve was retired. Good idea for those who need such a thing, I think.
Nah, I think he was referring to sock chops for dinner!
Good thread, I have been looking for something too. Thanks for the suggestions.

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:44 am

I use a cut out sock also. Cut above (or below) the heal, depending
on which end you use, fits nicely over the elbow.

Pro-Tip: Wash the sock first!

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:31 am

Leotards work well. I use a thing that is a flesh colored sleeve made for covering one's tattoos at work. Made to look inconspicuous and I would be more than comfortable wearing it for a performance, provided it was informal enough to begin with that I would wear a short sleeve shirt.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:29 am

oc chuck wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:44 am

BTW, there is a arm sleeve made by oasis,
padded or non padded.

bear

Post by bear » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:59 pm

oc chuck wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:30 am
oc chuck wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:29 am
oc chuck wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:44 am

BTW, there is an arm sleeve made by oasis,
padded or non padded.
I developed an ulnar nerve problem and tried the oasis. It wasn't enough. I cut the sleeve from a sweat shirt added a child's soccer shin guard under the oasis (to protect the guitar) and put a household sponge between the shin guard and my forearm. My hand still goes numb but it takes longer and doesn't happen every time I play.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

MojoXBones

Post by MojoXBones » Wed May 23, 2018 7:10 am

I ended up purchasing a sports Compression Arm Sleeve made from a nylon/polyester blend with silicone lining that prevents it slipping on my arm (I tried the cut of athletic sock, but it kept slipping down on my arm). This seems to work well, especially in summer when its too hot to wear long sleeves. Doesn't have much padding, but it seems to work well for me.

ferdinand206

Post by ferdinand206 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:22 pm

The look for last season-Nike mid length sock with the toe cut off.
Now I am using these gogo 6" long thick wrist sweatbands, 2 for 3.00 on Amazon. I'm 6'1 with long arms and these work great, super comfortable, nice stretch that doesn't slip and most important good padding as they are double thick with a tight weave terry. Also the Abel armrest is fantastic, my forearm was starting to get numb from the increased practice time and these two items have worked for me.
*****Kenny Hill Player 650 SFS, Cordoba C12-CD, 2005 M.Rodriguez C1, Yamaha SLG200N, Taylor 810CE*****

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:16 am

I use a cotton athletic sock folded over a few times for extra padding.

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:42 pm

I think it's a very good idea, cheaper than this Luva rigid arm support, and probably easier to locate. I've heard that modern hockey skates have a method where they mold the insert to your foot. If one could have a rigid arm insert that was thin, stiff, and molded to the shape of the individual's arm, and have either black or tan cover options, I think guitarists would buy them. In my opinion, the arm rest that some modern guitars come with doesn't solve the problem, it only lessens it, because a slightly rounded edge on the guitar still digs into the forearm while a rigid sleeve has no edge to dig into muscles/tendons.

https://www.guitarwebshop.com/LUVA-ARM- ... ONG-SLEEVE
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”