Luva Arm Sleeve

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
jhapgood

Luva Arm Sleeve

Post by jhapgood » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:57 pm

Good Morning Delcampers,

In a recent thread about an arm rest, viewtopic.php?f=71&t=90422, Delcamp member Luis from Brazil shared information about an arm sleeve that has a rigid plastic piece inside of it, protecting the nerves in the arm, and making a comfortable transition over the sharp edge of the guitar top.

I looked around a bit and discovered that this was the Luva arm pad and was available in the U.S. through Luthier Music Corp. in New York City. I ordered one and just received it yesterday. After playing with this arm sleeve for a couple of hours, I am very pleased at the comfort level I have in my right arm. The sleeve slides nicely along the edge of the guitar as I make RH adjustments for tone, and it's very natural feeling.

I have been using an Andreas Abel arm rest which I like very much, but this may be a simpler and more pleasing approach going forward. I'll give you some more feedback after I have used this arm sleeve for a longer time.

Just sharing this for anyone who is trying to address RH comfort issues relating to the edge of the guitar.

Kind Regards,

Joe
2018 Brad Andersen, No. 27
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE
"So Much Music, So Little Time."

Kent

Re: Luva Arm Sleeve

Post by Kent » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:28 pm

Thanks for the info Joe.
Think I will try one.

FHC

Post by FHC » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:38 pm

I have one and love it.

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:42 am

I am very interested in this product, not only from a comfort perspective but also as a way of protecting the finish on my guitar. I will soon be taking possession of a new guitar that will be french polished. I've read that sweat and oils from bare arms can cause damage to the finish on a french polished guitar.

I guess I'm curious whether the Luva Arm Sleeve helps prevent damage to the finish? I'm also a bit concerned whether the "rigid plastic piece inside it" could actually damage the edge of the guitar over time?

I appreciate any thoughts that people who own or have tried a Luva Arm rest may have on this?

Thanks,
Paul

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:13 am

Hi Paul

If you end up ordering a sleeve let me know. I might consolidate postage with you.

Gotta protect that new guitar!! :-)

Peter

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:05 am

I tried it and it was too thick and rigid for me
Took the plastic out but still don't like it as much as the Oasis for half the price.
Ron

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:35 am

petermc61 wrote:Hi Paul

If you end up ordering a sleeve let me know. I might consolidate postage with you.

Gotta protect that new guitar!! :-)

Peter
Thanks Peter, I do plan on ordering a guitar sleeve - you're right I've gotta protect the new baby. I'm also going to buy some strings too from SBM. I'll send you an email to tee this up.
eyedoc wrote:I tried it and it was too thick and rigid for me
Took the plastic out but still don't like it as much as the Oasis for half the price.
Ron
Thanks Ron. Sounds like the Oasis is the way to go given that it's half price.

jhapgood

Post by jhapgood » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:24 pm

Paul Janssen wrote:I guess I'm curious whether the Luva Arm Sleeve helps prevent damage to the finish? I'm also a bit concerned whether the "rigid plastic piece inside it" could actually damage the edge of the guitar over time?

I appreciate any thoughts that people who own or have tried a Luva Arm rest may have on this?

Thanks,
Paul
Paul,

The padding and soft fabric over the plastic insert prevents any damage issues from arising, slides nicely along the edge of the guitar, and eliminates arm pain from the edge of the guitar. I still am enjoying mine, and plan to continue to use it.

Kind Regards,

Joe
2018 Brad Andersen, No. 27
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE
"So Much Music, So Little Time."

jayjayrose

Post by jayjayrose » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:54 am

Paul,

I had a similar experience as Joe. I bought the Luva a few months ago and I'm totally sold on it. No pain for me; I also use it when playing the lute, which has an even sharper edge than the guitar. Previously, I used the Abel, which I also found very satisfactory (but useless on the lute!). The big difference is that I had to take it off each time I put the instrument into the case, which proved more awkward and time consuming than the Luva. The Luva does take some time getting used to, but I think it is worth it. I have not tried the Oasis. It may provide enough cushioning. But the Luva is much cheaper than the Abel, though it may not last as long. The Luva does come in sizes: Strings By Mail had only one size. I was able to order others from guitarwebshop (in the armpads section).

One fitting tip: The Luva may move around a bit. If I'm wearing short sleeves, I first put on a Nike arm sleeve, then the Luva. In winter, with long sleeves on, there is no problem.

Good Luck with it.

Jay
"…that all-pervading talisman of Spanish pleasure, the guitar." -Washington Irving

Slaven

Post by Slaven » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:59 pm

I've had a Luva armpad for a few years and it's great, can't play without it now. :) It takes some time to get used to but is safe for the guitar finish.

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:18 pm

For anyone thinking of an Oasis, please note that they make two versions: a plain sleeve for $10 and a padded one for $20.

FHC

Post by FHC » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:59 am

Slaven wrote:I've had a Luva armpad for a few years and it's great, can't play without it now. :) It takes some time to get used to but is safe for the guitar finish.
My experience too :)

arievanleyen

Post by arievanleyen » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:02 pm

It might be a good product but perhaps another tip that I use for some time is a towel.

Take a small towel and fold it twice, place it between your arm and the body - also works like charm :-)

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:46 pm

I have the Luva and the Abel armrest. I use the Luva religiously when I play the lute, just like jayjayrose above. Its really been a lifesaver. When I perform, I either use a shirt that's the same color and put it over, or hide it under my sleeve. I am not thrilled with it on the guitar, for that I just use the Abel which I am also totally addicted to. When I was much younger and none of these things existed, it was fine, but as I've aged, my right forearm has become somewhat uncomfortable after long prac. sessions. This is, by far, worse with the lute. These two inventions are marvelous, IMHO.
2017 Glenn Canin Spruce

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:56 pm

I've been using this for a few months now to protect the french polish of my Marin guitar. Particularly during the summer this is a good idea, because of sweat building up on the contact spots.

In the past I just used an cut-off sports sock for this purpose, which works well. But this sleeve just adds a little more comfort. Also people don't keep asking me, what exactly the Wilson socks had to do with classical guitar playing after a concert :wink:

Thumbs up from me for this product.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”