Gripmaster Hand Exerciser?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
DuanePitre

Gripmaster Hand Exerciser?

Post by DuanePitre » Fri May 01, 2015 4:56 pm

Hi all,

Has any used a Gripmaster Hand Exerciser (or something similar) for strengthening fingers/forearm muscles ?

If so do you have a make/model and/or a tension ("light" "heavy," etc) you could recommend for a newbie CGist?

Thanks!

Duane

DuanePitre

Re: Gripmaster Hand Exerciser?

Post by DuanePitre » Fri May 01, 2015 5:05 pm

...and the The Finger Master (amazon search found this) seems interesting. You can lock down one of the pistons (which are all independently adjustable for tension) so as to stretch the fingers as well.

anyone on here used this device?

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Fri May 01, 2015 6:30 pm

I think that the best "exercise" is to play the guitar. You will strengthen the proper muscles that way. It does get easier, just be patient and do not over-play -- that is, stop if you start experiencing pain. Also, be sure that you are using the proper hand/wrist positions, so that you do not cause unnecessary stress (a teacher or teaching videos can help with that).

DuanePitre

Post by DuanePitre » Fri May 01, 2015 7:34 pm

Makes a lot of sense Lovemyguitar. I certainly put in a good amount of time playing, but I also sit at a desk 40 hours a week so I'm looking for a way to do a little something, a short time in mid day, to help strengthen my fingers/arms. But I'm looking for a teacher now...so that'll help once I do.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Thanks

Cincy2

Post by Cincy2 » Fri May 01, 2015 7:50 pm

When I started playing several years ago I asked almost the exact same question about grip strength. Someone sent me a link to a you tube video showing a nine year old girl playing a horrendously difficult piece of music and asked if I really thought hand strength mattered. You know what the answer is. Technique, technique, technique. The hardest skill to master in playing is the ability to totally relax and only apply the MINIMUM force needed to play a clean note. I still pursue this objective.

Cincy
A wood box, empty
A sensitive heart, too full
You and I connect.

bear

Post by bear » Fri May 01, 2015 7:59 pm

I've got one and didn't think much of it but I've always had strong hands (I also have a nut cracker that I don't need to use). If you find that the resistance is difficult for you then it may be of some benefit in increasing your hand strength. A rubber ball (we used to call them "pinkies") might do the same.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

waikuentsui

Post by waikuentsui » Fri May 01, 2015 8:22 pm

Hi Duane,

When I first started playing, I too found my fingers or grip strength very weak.
My hands both left and right got tired very quickly.

I bought the Finger Master and used it a fair bit.
I use it when I am watching TV and when I am laying in bed at night before falling asleep.
Over time, my grip strength does improved but my hands still got tired easily.
Cincy2 wrote:You know what the answer is. Technique, technique, technique. The hardest skill to master in playing is the ability to totally relax and only apply the MINIMUM force needed to play a clean note. I still pursue this objective.

Cincy
Cincy's advice is the key or answer to your quest.

I gradually realized that I was griping the neck too hard.
Try to fret the note with the minimum amount of force, just enough to make a clean note.
Remember that strength level and practice at that level without applying too much grip.
Also try to use your arm strength when fretting by pulling back a bit (not a lot), just a bit.
This can minimize the thumb grip pressure if you use you arm muscle.
This way, you are not relying on the thumb muscle to do all the work.

Try to dance your fingers on the fret board rather than squeezing the neck (easier said than done).

Technique, technique, technique....
Give yourself time, it will come gradually and eventually.

DuanePitre

Post by DuanePitre » Fri May 01, 2015 9:45 pm

All great advice......it really helps to hear such feedback.....thanks so much!
The hardest skill to master in playing is the ability to totally relax and only apply the MINIMUM force needed to play a clean note. I still pursue this objective.
I was just watching a video on this subject. And yes, this is a hard one for, but I understand how it can be such an important aspect of playing.

Thanks again!

Duane

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Fri May 01, 2015 9:55 pm

I believe that force is your enemy: it will only make you tired or cause injury! Minimizing force is the way to go! Daily exercise will make you a better guitarist, buying and using a Gripmaster Hand Exerciser will not!
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

DuanePitre

Post by DuanePitre » Sat May 02, 2015 1:16 am

Thanks, Erik. I think what you've posted is logical and with that I've decided to not buy one. Also since no one has said it has benefits!

Yet again this forum in priceless. I really appreciate all of the time each and every one of you have spent answering my super beginner questions.

Cheers!
Duane

Pete Hannon

Post by Pete Hannon » Tue May 05, 2015 10:02 pm

I second what Erik says. I bought the high tension grip master a couple of years ago and used it in my pocket whilst I walked the dog. It didn't help at all but practice did.

DuanePitre

Post by DuanePitre » Thu May 07, 2015 12:51 am

Thanks, Pete. I'm def not going to get one. Instead I've found a teacher and I'm just going to practice correctly now :)

JohnNguyen

Post by JohnNguyen » Thu May 07, 2015 2:16 am

I do not think one needs excessive fingers' strength to play classical guitar. A lot of young or female guitarists have such tiny fingers, but they can play every effectively. I believe good hand positions and playing precision are much more important than raw finger strength.
Cheers,

John

DuanePitre

Post by DuanePitre » Thu May 07, 2015 2:39 am

John,

I'm beginning to understand that after some insightful replies, a couple new books, and my new teacher. Thanks for supporting this further with your words.

Cheers,
Duane

Leo Apray

Post by Leo Apray » Thu May 07, 2015 7:17 am

Erik Zurcher wrote:I believe that force is your enemy: it will only make you tired or cause injury! Minimizing force is the way to go!
I think we classical guitar lovers can't be fans of Star Wars :D
"May the Force be with you"
(sorry Eric, couldn't resist :D )

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”