right knee strain!! Stupid!!

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Jeffrey Armbruster

right knee strain!! Stupid!!

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:48 pm

Here's a new one--I was playing, absorbed in the music, and kept dropping my right thigh back to adjust the guitar neck. My right foot kept getting further behind me. It felt awkward but I kept playing. Lat night I could tell that I'd strained something around my knee; this morning, it's pretty bad. It may be the long muscles in my thigh, or something around the knee. I hope that it's not a meniscus. Stupid!! If anyone's not too embarrassed to admit to doing something similar, please let me know. I iced it and that helped, but I'm at work, so...

RichardUno

Re: right knee strain!! Stupid!!

Post by RichardUno » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:13 pm

If someone sees you limping around, tell them you were training for a triathlon or that you got mugged. "Guitar knee" won't get you any respect or sympathy.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:29 pm

Too late! I told on co-worker what happened and she just scornfully laughed. I think that I over-share...anyway, it's getting better. But now I'm thinking about a guitar support. It's just, I don't like idea of powerful magnets inside my guitar. Seems they would affect the sound (obviously not or people would mention it) or mess with my bio-electrical field. And I don't want to ruin my nice French polish with suction cups. geeze.

For what it's worth I'm a backpacker with manly, burl-like knees.

Frances McMahon

Post by Frances McMahon » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:09 am

Guitar supports could be just what you need. Much better for your back and legs. I think you can get some sort of plastic shielding (applies with static) that protects your guitar finish from suction cups.
Hope your knee is OK now :)

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:46 am

Thanks Frances: my knee is doing better, but there's still some pain. Time should help. I'm back to my footstool, although I have to take more breaks for my knee, of all things. I got a Dynarette, but I can't quite commit to it. It's fine--but my footstool at the lowest setting with the Dynarette is a tad too high; no footstool is way too low. I probably should give it more attention and find a phone book that's in between these two alternatives. Except phone books don't exist anymore!

edit: so I used my old folk rock guitar bible for a foot-rest with the dynarette tonight and it's 'just right'. I think that my big mistake was to drop my leg back to lower my thigh rather than simply spread my legs wider to achieve the same thing.

My guitar presents itself slightly differently with the dynarette but I think that I can get used to it pretty quick.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”