Dynarette once again: what size?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Jeffrey Armbruster

Dynarette once again: what size?

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:28 am

My guitar has French polish; I'm clumsy; I don't like the idea of magnets. So the Dynarette, maybe. My back is fine; it's my right knee that's the problem. I like to hold my guitar relatively high--or normal, really: top tuner at eye level, maybe a little higher. Guitar Salon only has the small Dynarette in stock. Some people complain the Dynarette doesn't raise the guitar enough. Any suggestions/help?

Oh and does this cushion muffle the guitar at all?

I'm also thinking of a strap for sitting--two buttons, great adjustability, no metal or magnets. the strap holds the guitar, not your hand and arm. There's a good luthier three blocks away. I'll see him tomorrow I hope.

Kent

Re: Dynarette once again: what size?

Post by Kent » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:17 am

Purchase the large. Even the large is too short for most.
I use a couple cedar 1 x 4 boards to raise my leg a little, to get to the right height.
No problem with sound, but you will need a small microfiber cloth to cover the top of it. This quiets the contact with the guitar.

Stringlover

Post by Stringlover » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:23 am

Certainly the large is barely enough. Didn't ditect any muffling effect.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Re: Dynarette once again: what size? Also: Andoerr?

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:03 am

Well the large is unavailable as far as I can tell--at Strings by Mail and at Guitar Salon in S.F. The small seems to be disappearing. On Amazon, when you bring up the dynarette, there's something that looks very similar called the Andoerr portable cushion. That's it. The dynarette is unavailable. the Andoerr is supposed to be equivalent in size to the large Dynarrette. anybody familiar with this?
Last edited by Jeffrey Armbruster on Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whiteagle

Post by Whiteagle » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:55 am

I use the large and it is just big enough. Have never noticed any muffling nor heard this comment before.

da23will

Post by da23will » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:11 am

I have a large dynarette and it is a little too small. I have to sit on a very low chair to compensate. Everyone is different, of course. The small might work for you, but for me, it would not work. I looked on Amazon for the Andoer guitar cushion. Indeed it looks similar to the Dynarette, but I'm not sure how it compares size-wise. Amazon also has this alternative listed as the "Docooler" guitar cushion. I have no experience with this product and so cannot comment on it.

simonm

Post by simonm » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:44 pm

Here is a list of threads about making your own cushion support. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91388&p Some clever ideas.

I cannot get the guitar as high as you want it with a dynarette. I have the big one.

I think a mechanical support is the only way. The guitar is a tool. Don't worry about the french polish. If you damage it, it is easy to get touched up. Costs money but if you calculate it in Starbucks Lattes or Big Macs, it is pretty trivial over 5 years or a decade.

hesson11

Post by hesson11 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:23 pm

I would caution against accepting anyone else's opinion on which size is best (including mine). I have both the large and the small versions, and either one works, depending on the height of the chair, the size of the guitar, your posture, and the placement of your left foot nearer or farther from the chair. The proper cushion size is, in my opinion, totally dependent on these variable factors. I think the only way to proceed is to buy one or the other and see how it works. This may not, of course, be the least expensive way!
-Bob

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:27 pm

Thanks everyone: the Andoer is supposed to be equivalent to a large Dynarette and looks identical; it's relatively inexpensive and so I'm going to pull the trigger. If I have to use a little bit of foot stool type elevation, so be it.

hesson11

Post by hesson11 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:14 am

Let us know how it works out, Jeffrey. You can also be the first to write a review on Amazon!
-Bob

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:50 am

I use the Dynarette for years now and I am very happy with it. Tried many other supports, also the magnets. Too cumbersome installation.
I am 1,76 meters high and I prefer the small version, but I use the big one for lunch time playing in the office with my silent guitar.
Fritz Ober, Torres/Hauser model, 2010, spruce/maple
Giovanni Tacchi, Bouchet model, spruce/BRAZ, 2018

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:40 pm

The Dynarette (by another brand name) arrived and I've used it off and on for two days. It is far more stable than I imagined. It doesn't slip. I got a large, but I still need my footstool set in the lowest position, and wearing socks, to get a position I like. Before, I had the footstool angled higher and would wear one big soled boot and just my sock on the other foot (o.k. no jokes.)

Here's the thing: with Dynarette, I have the head slightly higher than what I'm used to. Also, the angle of the neck is slightly different: it's more perpendicular to the floor, although still slightly angled back so that I can see the fretboard (although I mostly look at the music when I play). My left hand position is also slightly altered. My face is closer to the lower frets of the guitar than before. Oh and my right arm is positioned differently on the bout. I'm wondering now if my usual position is 'wrong', or the new position, or neither.

I go back and forth between which I prefer. I think the perpendicular position may be better. I'm surprised that I still find the notes, because it feels just a little awkward. finally, it's possible that the dynarette makes supporting the neck easier and so frees up my left hand--but I'm not sure. So all of this should be expected I guess.

does anyone find their neck or hand position altered when they use a Dynarette? I suppose it would have to happen to some extent.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”