For serious users of Abel armrest

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Charles Mokotoff

For serious users of Abel armrest

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:25 pm

I've been using this armrest for almost 2 years now, and I mean everyday. I don't like practicing without it and use it in all my recitals. I was curious to hear from others who use this daily, not just folks who bought it and tried it out then put it in a drawer somewhere.

I just got a new guitar and have been very careful with using on the new FP, using a chamois in between it and the guitar. But I know the luthier who isn't far from me and who can touch it up should it need it, so started attaching it directly. No problems with the finish, but I notice, for some bizarre reason, its harder to attach. Sometimes it seems like its on, then falls off. On the older guitar and when I used the chamois on the new one, never a problem.

The new instrument is totally a conventional shape, so that's not it, anyone else notice any issues attaching or keeping it on the instrument?
2017 Glenn Canin Spruce

Charles Mokotoff

Re: For serious users of Abel armrest

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:22 pm

I've figured this out! Due to overwhelming interest in this subject ;) I will spill the beans:
The front of the armrest has two felt rectangles that protect the finish, the back has a rubber area to do the same. Why they didn't just use rubber all the way around I have no idea. But its clear that the felt is slipping off the new FP on this guitar. That's why it stays so well when I use the chamois and slips off it otherwise. I will just replace the felt somehow with some suede or other grippy soft material, should do it.
2017 Glenn Canin Spruce

oski79

Post by oski79 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:05 pm

I use the Abel all the time too. I noticed that if I placed it too far forward on the lower bout, ie, toward the left, it would sometimes pop off. Placed farther to the right it was no problem. I love the thing.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:53 am

The felt slip off mine after a few days. I bought a roll of sticky felt tape, cut a small piece. and added a tiny drop of crazy glue for added security. It's working so far.

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:55 am

The felt stays on mine stays on the armrest, no problem. Its just that the armrest is slipping off the new guitar.

After reading some more posts about this sort of thing and realizing I actually have the Luva armpad which I used for lute only...I spent the day using that with the guitar and no Abel armrest. I may be hooked. Its so nice to not have the armrest stuck onto the guitar, you can pop the guitar into the case just like the old days.

Got a small concert today, gonna give it a try.
2017 Glenn Canin Spruce

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”