CA CDN$.6000 Jordan McConnell Hauser #7 spruce 2001, Quebec, Canada

malin819

Re: CA CDN$.6000 Jordan McConnell Hauser #7 spruce 2001, Quebec, Canada

Post by malin819 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:23 pm

Did it make a huge difference: No but I was able to have a perfect set up that only computer can do (I know some luthier can be has perfect). Its all the small thing that make this a great guitar.

Action can be lowered even more and no buzz will be present.

MNClassical

Post by MNClassical » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:25 pm

I owned the 3rd Classical that McConnell built years ago and I still regret selling it. Also, wish I had bought one of his steel strings earlier on. He is top shelf. Good luck!

malin819

Post by malin819 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:46 am

Yep he builds some of the best guitars in Canada :)

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:41 pm

zupfgeiger wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:56 am
Would you like to own the first ever Humphrey or the first ever Daniel Friederich? Why not the first ever Jordan McConnell Classical? Some days ago I purchased the second ever self made guitar of the young Giovanni Tacchi in Florence and I can tell you his guitar is marvelous.
Jose Ramirez III said that his first ever guitar was "only good for firewood." It's risky at any price, let alone $6000.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:14 pm

Given that this zombie thread is awake again, this reminds me of a nylon guitar I played a few months back:

The Luther is someone whose steel-strings sell for even more than McConnell's. Average price is around 25K USD.
However, he makes the odd nylon and one came up used at a dealer who called me, knowing that these days I like to play nylon.
It was described as a "bargain" at only 16K GBP, since this guy's guitars are usually - as I've said - much more.

So I tried it...it was truly awful. Well built and clean work but sonically, it was like the guy had put some nylon strings on a wardrobe.
Far, far too overbuilt to ever have any meaningful response or resonance with nylon strings. Seriously, I would not have paid 1K for it.

It sold fairly quickly, I imagine to a steel-string player who's never had a "real" nylon guitar in his hands. I hope he's still none-the-wiser, especially given the luthiers you could enjoy for 16K GBP.

Like I say above, it was NOT McConnell and no reflection on the guitar mentioned in this thread.

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:20 pm

UKSteve, Interesting story. One should not assume that a great steel string builder is proficient with classical guitars. However, Jordan trained on classical building with Liam Romanillos and the one he made for me is as good as I can imagine. One of the university instructors around my city uses one as well.

KP

malin819

Post by malin819 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:51 pm

delete thread this guitar is long gone

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:55 am

Ramon Amira wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:41 pm
zupfgeiger wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:56 am
Would you like to own the first ever Humphrey or the first ever Daniel Friederich? Why not the first ever Jordan McConnell Classical? Some days ago I purchased the second ever self made guitar of the young Giovanni Tacchi in Florence and I can tell you his guitar is marvelous.
Jose Ramirez III said that his first ever guitar was "only good for firewood." It's risky at any price, let alone $6000.

Ramon
Sure it can be risky, but Giovanni Tacchi's first ever Friederich style guitar is so good, that I did not hesitate to order a Bouchet model as well. It's his second ever. The first one is played by a Chinese professional who praised it very highly. In two weeks time I can tell you whether the risk was worth it.
Fritz Ober, Torres/Hauser model, 2010, spruce/maple
Giovanni Tacchi, Bouchet model, spruce/BRAZ, 2018

Portland Bill

Post by Portland Bill » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:28 pm

UKsteve wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:14 pm
Given that this zombie thread is awake again, this reminds me of a nylon guitar I played a few months back:

The Luther is someone whose steel-strings sell for even more than McConnell's. Average price is around 25K USD.
However, he makes the odd nylon and one came up used at a dealer who called me, knowing that these days I like to play nylon.
It was described as a "bargain" at only 16K GBP, since this guy's guitars are usually - as I've said - much more.

So I tried it...it was truly awful. Well built and clean work but sonically, it was like the guy had put some nylon strings on a wardrobe.
Far, far too overbuilt to ever have any meaningful response or resonance with nylon strings. Seriously, I would not have paid 1K for it.

It sold fairly quickly, I imagine to a steel-string player who's never had a "real" nylon guitar in his hands. I hope he's still none-the-wiser, especially given the luthiers you could enjoy for 16K GBP.

Like I say above, it was NOT McConnell and no reflection on the guitar mentioned in this thread.

Would this makers name begin with G Steve ?

Michael Lazar
Luthier

Re: CA C$.6000 Jordan McConnell Hauser #7 spruce 2001, Quebec, Canada

Post by Michael Lazar » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:56 am

Philosopherguy wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:32 pm
Pretty high inflation on guitars these days!

I price mine at CDN $5,000. Materials are about $500 so net "profit" is about $4,500. It takes me about 180 hours including french polish so I make about $25 per hour. Better than minimum wage but nothing like what a skilled tradesman makes. As a Bank officer I made about $60 per hour. As a financial consultant I made over $100 per hour. Not really seeing the validity of the comment. My last client is a professional guitarist and teacher. His comment was "Wow! That's a great price!"

From what I know of McConnell's work, this is a very reasonable price.

Return to “Archives of past "Classical Guitars for Sale"”