BE €.5200 Jean-Luc Joie J cedar 2017, Brussels

ben etow

BE €.5200 Jean-Luc Joie J cedar 2017, Brussels

Post by ben etow » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:26 am

Year of construction: 2017
Scale length: 650 mm
Top: cedar, Braceless Top (unique Joie system), French polish
Back/sides: Rio (I have just asked the CITES certificate to the maker, so it means I offer this guitar only in Belgium)
Fingerboard: ebony
Sound: power, loudness, projection and dynamics just under the best lattice (like Gnatek, Price) or Marty, but with truly fundamental tones (warm tone colour from bass to treble) and in my opinion better polyphonic capabilities (as the sound decays slowly). The lack of plucking noise is also typical for the braceless Joie with an unusually pure tone as a result. Very homogeneous.
Tuning machines: precise and smooth Der Jung (1:18)
Condition: excellent; tiny marks in the French polish; small ding on the side of the fingerboard (probably a miserable music stand J)
Price: 5200 euro
Trial: near Brussels (arrangements possible in Brussels and elsewhere - nothing is far away in Belgium) - no shipping (see above)

Too many guitars at home, wife unhappy, you know…

This is a fine example of Bordeaux-based guitar maker Jean-Luc Joie’s fantastic braceless guitars. My wife owes one Joie and I still owe 2 other Joie, so this one has to leave.
The braceless top responds more homogeneously at all frequencies, which facilitates any musical interpretation – dynamics, staccato, legato, long phrases, etc.
The fundamental tone presence differentiates better the lower voices.

The lack of plucking noise may disconcert the players used to brutal or percussive guitars but since I first experienced it (approximately 10 years ago), I must say this is the first thing that annoys me when I am trying other guitars (traditional, lattice, LRS, DT, Kasha…).

All these qualities (plus the great sustain of course) make it a very singing instrument:
For video, search YouTube for "Benoît Ducène plays Prelude n°8 by Manuel Ponce"

This particular guitar is very similar to the one used by Thibault Cauvin on his Albeniz album and his next album (I had the honour to play his).
Joie J tampon arrière.png
Joie J tampon fond éclisses Rio partielle.png
Joie J tampon mécaniques.png
Joie J tampon rosace et étiquette.png
Joie J tampon table et caisse.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Intune

Re: BE €.5200 Jean-Luc Joie J cedar 2017, Brussels

Post by Intune » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:31 pm

Beautiful sounding guitar. Good luck with the sale.
Intune
2010 Andres Marvi (cedar/Madagascar rosewood)

"...beware of all enterprises that require new clothes..." -- H.D. Thoreau

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:07 pm

Thank you, Intune.

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:19 pm

Lovely looking instrument. I didn't realize he was from Bordeaux. Maybe on my next trip southwards I should swing by. :-)

I love the way your were able to time travel for the 2nd last photo. if you could do the reverse and get me next weeks winning lottery numbers in advance of the draw, I would much appreciate it. :lol:

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:35 pm

simonm wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:19 pm
Lovely looking instrument. I didn't realize he was from Bordeaux. Maybe on my next trip southwards I should swing by. :-)
Thanks but it is more a players' guitar than a collectors' item to be looked at... :)

And yes, wine is certainly not the only thing to enjoy in Bordeaux. Jean-Luc is a nice guy and an innovative maker with great musical insights.

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:49 pm

simonm wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:19 pm
I love the way your were able to time travel for the 2nd last photo. if you could do the reverse and get me next weeks winning lottery numbers in advance of the draw, I would much appreciate it. :lol:
Thank you so much for pointing that out... :lol:
I must confess I use my wife's old camera only to take pictures of my guitars and I never take time to set the date correctly.

Unfortunately, I doubt I could find the next lottery numbers for you. Let me try for myself first and then we might negotiate for your winning numbers 8)

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:42 pm

Hi!

A few new pics with another (borrowed) camera... 2 of the tiny marks on the top and a nice one of the back (I don't know how I did it, but I am pleased with that one) :D

Moreover, I am willing to deduct the travel expenses to Brussels or my house (within a reasonable margin - let"s say 250 euro for instance) and I offer this wonderful guitar for 4500 euro with case (it can be a used standard Hiscox in good condition).
DSC_0263.png
DSC_0265.png
DSC_0379.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:07 pm

Hi, I will also consider part echanges (lower priced instruments which I would be able to resell more quickly to students).

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:04 pm

ben etow wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:26 am
All these qualities (plus the great sustain of course) make it a very singing instrument:
For video, search YouTube for "Benoît Ducène plays Prelude n°8 by Manuel Ponce"
Hi everyone,

A fellow delcamper made me realize I hadn't been clear enough. Please note this is my guitar for sale on this video, played by myself, with a bit noisy new basses unfortunately.

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:14 pm

ben etow wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:26 am
Back/sides: Rio
It appears I misunderstood the maker... He probably told me it resembled Rio, but it is actually cocobolo. It doesn't matter to me but I did want to make it clear.

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:40 am

Sold!

Return to “Archives of past "Classical Guitars for Sale"”