- Top: Englemann Spruce
- Back / Sides: Indian Rosewood
- Fingerboard / (bridge): Ebony
- Sound: Sounds like a guitar
- Condition: Good
- Price:$1900
- Viewing possible: Yes
- Location (nearest city): Providence, RI

Fantastic example of a Kenny Hill Munich made in his Felton, CA shop. Everything you would expect from a Hill guitar: great playability, balance, and projection. I am the second owner. Condition is Excellent to Very Good:
- Excellent structurally, no cracks, always kept in a controlled/humidified environment
- Very Good cosmetically for an 18+ year old guitar that has been loved and played a lot.
---- Top: there are some nail marks below the strings from golpes and tapping, some dings and minor scratches but nothing major. No string burns behind the bridge.
---- Back and Sides: Previous owner had guitar-strap pins installed, in the tail-block and heel, which I have removed. The tail-block hole remains (you don't see or feel that) but the hole in the heel has been filled (more on that in the neck section). The back finish is dulled where it rests against your chest/sternum. Really quite charming to think that the guitar has been played so much that the finish where it touches your chest is a bit worn.
---- Neck: All that playing takes the most toll on the neck, where the finish was quite worn. To remedy that playing wear, in February of this year I took the guitar to Glenn Nichols Guitars (recently rebranded as Retrograde Guitars). I actually planned to send it to Kenny Hill for a tune-up, but Kenny told me about Glenn Nichols when I asked about getting the tune-up. Glenn is a former employee of Kenny Hill who has started his own shop in nearby Norfolk, MA. His work on this guitar is perfect. The hole in the heel from the strap-pin was filled so you can't feel it when playing up the neck and he refinished the neck flawlessly. A new bone saddle is installed along with a new compensated nut.

I know, it's a lot to read for a guitar, but it is a special guitar and deserves a good write-up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dofrenzy on Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tom Wimsatt
Student of the online lessons

Re: US $2300 Kenny Hill Munich spruce 2004 Providence, RI

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:21 pm

Very nice! I wish I was closer. Good luck with the sale!
1989 Takamine C132S, Aquila 19C Strings
Yamaha CG-100A

dofrenzy

Re: US $2300 Kenny Hill Munich spruce 2004 Providence, RI

Post by dofrenzy » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:34 pm

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:21 pm
Very nice! I wish I was closer. Good luck with the sale!
Thanks Tom! This is a somewhat typical “I have too many guitars” sale. Last year I had one guitar (spruce/maple) and went out in search of a cedar top. Eventually I figured I’d try to buy back a cedar-top Hippner I sold in 2009. Wouldn’t ya know....the owner of the Hippner agreed to sell the guitar back to me (+9 years after selling it!), but at the same time I had found this Kenny Hill Munich and couldn’t pass it up.

Thanks for checking in Tom!

Weaver

Re: US $.1900 Kenny Hill Munich spruce 2004, Providence, RI

Post by Weaver » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:53 am

I sent a PM with the same questions: Why was the hole in the end bout not filled? Any audio recordings? Thanks

dofrenzy

Post by dofrenzy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:40 pm

Weaver wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:53 am
I sent a PM with the same questions: Why was the hole in the end bout not filled? Any audio recordings? Thanks
FYI, I did not receive any PM.

I don't think the end-pin hole has any effect on playability, nor a few dings in the soundboard. Overall the guitar was in great condition, and of course $COST was a factor for the tune-up. You don't see or feel the end-pin hole when the guitar is in a stand or on the wall or in the case or in the lap.

The neck wear, and the hole from the heel-pin, does effect playability and can be a distraction, so I opted to take care of those important things when I tuned-up and chose not to address the minor cosmetic issues.

Sorry, no recordings yet. I am *trying* to work up my technique to get some examples recorded but my nails are shot right now and technique is not quite there yet! I will get something recorded eventually.

SeanWinkler

Post by SeanWinkler » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:03 pm

I don't see an icon that would allow someone to PM you.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

oski79

Post by oski79 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:20 pm

I had this exact model guitar. It was my first high end instrument. It's a good one.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

dofrenzy

Post by dofrenzy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:02 pm

SeanWinkler wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:03 pm
I don't see an icon that would allow someone to PM you.
Thanks for the extra push Sean! I checked my profile yesterday but didn't find anything obvious. Your confirmation got me to dig a little deeper and found the settings under "Board Preferences". I think PM is enabled now.

dofrenzy

Post by dofrenzy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:01 pm

This 2004 Hill Munich is sold.

Return to “Archives of past "Classical Guitars for Sale"”